Unexplained high blood sugars on a Keto diet

Fleckyp1986

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi all. Wondered if anyone has experienced high blood sugars on a low carb diet or Keto. A few months ago I started the Keto diet. Lost nearly 2 stone bloods game right down. Over the last couple of weeks my blood sugars are higher than ever. Spiking as high as when I was diagnosed. Really concerned and don’t understand why? Any comments would be appreciated

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Has anything changed at all? Could you be harbouring an infection? It isn't just food that raises levels.

Fleckyp1986

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Can you share some of the numbers?

So yesterday morning was 12.3 I didn’t eat until tea time due to fasting which works well for me it’s then spiked to 19.3 took my metformin and went for a walk it came down to 8. It’s really weird as I’m usually around 6with the Keto diet. I’m not eating different and it’s spiking morning reads are usually 12is which again I can’t explain

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
So yesterday morning was 12.3 I didn’t eat until tea time due to fasting which works well for me it’s then spiked to 19.3 took my metformin and went for a walk it came down to 8. It’s really weird as I’m usually around 6with the Keto diet. I’m not eating different and it’s spiking morning reads are usually 12is which again I can’t explain
I know you probably have but have you checked your test strips for expiration date etc? If you aren't ill or coming down with something I'd get back to your GP and explain what is happening.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I found that fasting raised my numbers so now I eat when I get up and then late evening and that seems to give the most consistent numbers, but I did find that I went through a patch where my numbers were erratic a few months after diagnosis and starting to eat low carb all the time.
I put it down to things trying to start to work again, but not being in sync with eachother. After a while things settle down to being even lower than before. The numbers I got were not so extreme as yours, but I stopped taking Metformin and the statin as they made me very ill, so there was nothing trying to keep anything under control, no artificial interference, which I suspect, for me is a good thing as I did low carb for a long time in the past, so that was what my metabolism was trying to get back to.

Reactions: Fleckyp1986

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
If you replace your carbs with protein you can still get high bgs but they don't last as long as carby highs. Now that's where you have to be careful if injecting insulin but I see you're only taking metformin, is that correct?
Reduce your protein intake.

How much protein do you eat?
Do you cook with almond flour, use pork crackling for bread crumb replacements or/and snack on nuts or cheese?
It can all add up to be enough to replace carbs in converting into glucose.
I get it all of the time. Well did til I started 800cals and low carb, low fat too.
I'm losing weight whilst on insulin, once more.

Fleckyp1986

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
If you replace your carbs with protein you can still get high bgs but they don't last as long as carby highs. Now that's where you have to be careful if injecting insulin but I see you're only taking metformin, is that correct?
Reduce your protein intake.

How much protein do you eat?
Do you cook with almond flour, use pork crackling for bread crumb replacements or/and snack on nuts or cheese?
It can all add up to be enough to replace carbs in converting into glucose.
I get it all of the time. Well did til I started 800cals and low carb, low fat too.
I'm losing weight whilst on insulin, once more.

Thanks for your reply. I don’t track the protein but I will moving forward. I guess I’m confused because even when fasting they are spiking and my meds haven’t changed etc.

Fleckyp1986

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I know you probably have but have you checked your test strips for expiration date etc? If you aren't ill or coming down with something I'd get back to your GP and explain what is happening.

I will check them how long do they last do you know? I haven’t got them in the original box so will get some new ones

Reactions: ickihun

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Thanks for your reply. I don’t track the protein but I will moving forward. I guess I’m confused because even when fasting they are spiking and my meds haven’t changed etc.
A fatty protein can block that rise before your fasting starts.
Sounds like you need to get your proteins to work in your advantage, instead of current disadvantage.
Make a meal/food diary and note and work around when your protein intake works best for you.
Then. (hardest part)
Get this into a daily habit. It can be a bit intense at times but only way to keep stead 5s for me since I love protein.... more than carbs.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I will check them how long do they last do you know? I haven’t got them in the original box so will get some new ones
The ones that I just bought were use by 2020 but if they have been left open or got too hot or cold they can go off.. also my meter can go a bit crazy when the battery is getting low, so that might be worth replacing.. Hope its something silly like that..

Fleckyp1986

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
A fatty protein can block that rise before your fasting starts.
Sounds like you need to get your proteins to work in your advantage, instead of current disadvantage.
Make a meal/food diary and note and work around when your protein intake works best for you.
Then. (hardest part)
Get this into a daily habit. It can be a bit intense at times but only way to keep stead 5s for me since I love protein.... more than carbs.

Thankyou. So look at higher fat proteins is that what you are saying. I take it tour on a low carb diet?

Geordie_P

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Those numbers look unrealistically high: I'm with Bulkbiker that this looks like it might be more of a testing aberration than anything else: what carbs have you been taking in?

Fleckyp1986

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Those numbers look unrealistically high: I'm with Bulkbiker that this looks like it might be more of a testing aberration than anything else: what carbs have you been taking in?

That’s why I’m confused. Less than 20g per day

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
It does sound like testing errors to me, either faulty strips or your meter is dying.

I would buy new strips, change the meter battery, and use some control solution for the meter. See if that helps.

Fleckyp1986

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
It does sound like testing errors to me, either faulty strips or your meter is dying.

I would buy new strips, change the meter battery, and use some control solution for the meter. See if that helps.

Thankyou what is control solution