What do you find the hardest about living with diabetes?

statler

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
salad
its a marathon not a sprint, you will fall off the wagon many a times, just get back on and keep the graph of progress going in the right direction. and dont keep judging yourself

IronLioness

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Routine
its a marathon not a sprint, you will fall off the wagon many a times, just get back on and keep the graph of progress going in the right direction. and dont keep judging yourself
You're totally right about the judging, Statler, I absolutely have done since I got told But I'm getting my head around it a bit better now, and I'm keen to get home to get the monitor to start tracking my levels. As you've said, one step at a time.

fran57

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Liars, and cheats.
Hi All, my marriage broke up end of march, got diagnosed type 2 end of may, its been an awful and difficult time, and I dont think I took it seriously enough, I am now very slowly getting things together again, and have been doing a lot of reading, started cutting down on my carbs, so we will have too see how things go, got an appt with doc end of november, cant see that there is going too be much difference in my readings, I know I have too knuckle down...hopefully things will get better x

Reactions: IronLioness

IronLioness

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Routine
Hi All, my marriage broke up end of march, got diagnosed type 2 end of may, its been an awful and difficult time, and I dont think I took it seriously enough, I am now very slowly getting things together again, and have been doing a lot of reading, started cutting down on my carbs, so we will have too see how things go, got an appt with doc end of november, cant see that there is going too be much difference in my readings, I know I have too knuckle down...hopefully things will get better x
One day at a time, Fran, don't be too hard on yourself. I hope it gets easier for you as time goes by.

Tracy27

I've been diagnosed as T2 on Friday of last week so my head is still trying to take everything in...my 'scare factor' at the moment seems to be that I'm going to need to totally change my lifestyle, which is doable, BUT the bit that worries me is if I can break 20+ years of basically what amounts to bad habits and have the willpower and discipline to be consistent with it. I know it now *has* to happen, but goodness me it plagues the mind, for sure!

Anyone else feel overwhelmed at the task ahead??
I do, diagnosed last week at high end pre-diabetes. I've 3 months to get my levels down by diet and like you I've many years of eating to change. First visit to the supermarket I nearly crumbled! Tears many of. I feel tired from cutting carbs and totally low and emotional. Can't decide if that's from eating many salads, meat, tuna, higher fats.. good food!! or my state of mind from the diagnosis. I feel scared to put anything in my mouth that is even remotely carbs so I think I've gone to extremes so my levels will fingers crossed be OK when I have my next test in 3 months and get the all clear. Thing is I can't keep eating this way for the rest of my life so going overboard with the carbs won't actually help long-term? I have a blood monitor but am running blind as to what levels are acceptable and what are not. I feel for you, not an easy place to be in. Hugs x

Diawara

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I do, diagnosed last week at high end pre-diabetes. I've 3 months to get my levels down by diet and like you I've many years of eating to change. First visit to the supermarket I nearly crumbled! Tears many of. I feel tired from cutting carbs and totally low and emotional. Can't decide if that's from eating many salads, meat, tuna, higher fats.. good food!! or my state of mind from the diagnosis. I feel scared to put anything in my mouth that is even remotely carbs so I think I've gone to extremes so my levels will fingers crossed be OK when I have my next test in 3 months and get the all clear. Thing is I can't keep eating this way for the rest of my life so going overboard with the carbs won't actually help long-term? I have a blood monitor but am running blind as to what levels are acceptable and what are not. I feel for you, not an easy place to be in. Hugs x
@Tracy27 its early days for you keep to the low carb thing but dont panic.. things wont seem so bad , keep researching on this forum ...so many caring people will help and give you advice you will learn to eat different things..i know i was the same addicted to haribo sweets ,biscuits bread etc you soon adapt and change your mindset..i and others have said it before that diagnosis was probally a blessing because it became for me a big wake up call to lose weight doing so aches and pains disapeared .. i could exercise more easy my mind became more focused and depression lifted....

Last edited:

Tracy27

@Tracy27 its early days for you keep to the low carb thing but dont panic.. things wont seem so bad , keep researching on this forum ...so many caring people will help and give you advice you will learn to eat different things..i know i was the same addicted to haribo sweets ,biscuits bread etc you soon adapt and change your mindset..i and others have said it before that diagnosis was probally a blessing because it became for me a big wake up call to lose weight doing so aches and pains disapeared .. i could exercise more easy my mind became more focused and depression lifted....
I'm finding it tough on a morning. I don't have time to cook breakfast so finding something quick and easy to fill me up is a task. I'm a fussy eater too! I suffer from depression, have done for years and I'm hoping this might get better but so far it's been worse with the diagnosis. Only a week and a half on though. x

IronLioness

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Routine
@Tracey27 I'm the same, 3mths to get levels down. I refused to take the metformin route, I said to my doc that I'd do it with lifestyle changes and that's what I will do. But yes, it's tough. Changing habits of a lifetime is not easy, so I've started to change the way I look at it - I don't have a choice anymore, this is what has to happen. I was diagnosed on 4th October and immediately cut out ALL the carbs, because I didnt know what I was supposed to be doing, and also, I was scared/overwhelmed by the diagnosis and implications. Then I had something like that of a fake-hypo, dizzy, woozy, faint, no energy. I stopped no carbs and switched to low carbs, under 30g a day. I also got on this group and asked a bazillion questions. In the past 3 weeks I feel I've gone from being totally overwhelmed, to being somewhat in control of this now, my head feels calmer, not so 'this is a disaster', but strength is found from reading. I literally wrote down ALL the questions I had about diabetes and then searched through this forum and online, and asked questions here. The folks on these forums are magnificent! It'll help you immensely, trust me. Read up on it all then start working out a plan you can work with.

The trick is to go easy on yourself, it's a major change that needs to happen but it's not the end of the world. The only thing is, it'll teach you to get real with yourself, real quick. It's a wake up call but you're fully in control of this - you can change your lifestyle to suit your lifestyle, if that makes sense. The 'old' you will be replaced with someone who is stronger, powerful and in full control of their health. When the scare of the diagnosis wears off, it's easier to start to work through a 'fighter' mentality - It's about taking baby steps, figuring out what works for you in terms of diet and exercise, changing old habits by finding alternatives. For example - you won't be able to smash a big pack of Haribo or chocolate for treats, but you could have a full packet of sugar free jelly with a dollop of sugar free jam on it - negligible sugar, no carbs and no fat and super low on calories. Options and alternatives.

I'm new to this too and yup, it's hard to just change habits of a lifetime (especially weekend treats/cravings), but all you can do is one day at a time. But try flipping the way you're thinking of it - the diagnosis is giving you an opportunity to start fuelling your body and mind, you get to be responsible for them both now, not the other way around. Honestly, it's a positive thing, forget about what you're losing, essentially all that is is food based which you can find alternatives to - just think about all the things you're gaining from this, ultimately, a stronger you. 3 months? No problem, you'll do it.

Last edited:
Reactions: Tracy27

Tracy27

@Tracey27 I'm the same, 3mths to get levels down. I refused to take the metformin route, I said to my doc that I'd do it with lifestyle changes and that's what I will do. But yes, it's tough. Changing habits of a lifetime is not easy, so I've started to change the way I look at it - I don't have a choice anymore, this is what has to happen. I was diagnosed on 4th October and immediately cut out ALL the carbs, because I didnt know what I was supposed to be doing, and also, I was scared/overwhelmed by the diagnosis and implications. Then I had something like that of a fake-hypo, dizzy, woozy, faint, no energy. I stopped no carbs and switched to low carbs, under 30g a day. I also got on this group and asked a bazillion questions. In the past 3 weeks I feel I've gone from being totally overwhelmed, to being somewhat in control of this now, my head feels calmer, not so 'this is a disaster', but strength is found from reading. I literally wrote down ALL the questions I had about diabetes and then searched through this forum and online, and asked questions here. The folks on these forums are magnificent! It'll help you immensely, trust me. Read up on it all then start working out a plan you can work with.

The trick is to go easy on yourself, it's a major change that needs to happen but it's not the end of the world. The only thing is, it'll teach you to get real with yourself, real quick. It's a wake up call but you're fully in control of this - you can change your lifestyle to suit your lifestyle, if that makes sense. The 'old' you will be replaced with someone who is stronger, powerful and in full control of their health. When the scare of the diagnosis wears off, it's easier to start to work through a 'fighter' mentality - It's about taking baby steps, figuring out what works for you in terms of diet and exercise, changing old habits by finding alternatives. For example - you won't be able to smash a big pack of Haribo or chocolate for treats, but you could have a full packet of sugar free jelly with a dollop of sugar free jam on it - negligible sugar, no carbs and no fat and super low on calories. Options and alternatives.

I'm new to this too and yup, it's hard to just change habits of a lifetime (especially weekend treats/cravings), but all you can do is one day at a time. But try flipping the way you're thinking of it - the diagnosis is giving you an opportunity to start fuelling your body and mind, you get to be responsible for them both now, not the other way around. Honestly, it's a positive thing, forget about what you're losing, essentially all that is is food based which you can find alternatives to - just think about all the things you're gaining from this, ultimately, a stronger you. 3 months? No problem, you'll do it.
I will, I have to. We have to!! I love your positivity and I'm telling myself now that tomorrow is another day and I'm going to take the bad days with the good, still early days.

neithskye

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I haven't found it that difficult to adjust to having diabetes, probably because I was born with another lifelong incurable health issue, so just add diabetes to the pile.

This is silly but I don't enjoy cooking and am a lazy cook. What I've found difficult is I can't have "convenience" food anymore. I can't grab a bagel and go or make a quick sandwich (no bread). I've sometimes not eaten because I don't feel like preparing something.

In the big scheme of things this is minor. I should start preparing meals to eat in advance but let's not rush me now. It was a pretty big deal that I recently started chopping up vegetables for my meals. :wacky:

IronLioness

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Routine
I will, I have to. We have to!! I love your positivity and I'm telling myself now that tomorrow is another day and I'm going to take the bad days with the good, still early days.
@Tracy27 exactly that! - tomorrow is another day. You're totally in control of this and that a powerful thing. Knowledge is power, read up on anything you're not sure of, then try tweaking to suit your lifestyle. Yesterday was a nightmare for me - Halloween weekend = was at a friend's and there's lots of high sugar, high carb snacks and general rubbish (but delicious!) food. It was a total test of the willpower, so I literally avoided the food table (or it could get savage with me smashing something I shouldn't, haha!) - I ate before I went (high protein) and just swerved the food. I do the same in supermarkets now too - at least until my willpower is much stronger, I avoid the 'naughty aisles' because I know they don't have anything for me anymore. It gets easier with time. Big hugs to ya.

IronLioness

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Routine
I haven't found it that difficult to adjust to having diabetes, probably because I was born with another lifelong incurable health issue, so just add diabetes to the pile.

This is silly but I don't enjoy cooking and am a lazy cook. What I've found difficult is I can't have "convenience" food anymore. I can't grab a bagel and go or make a quick sandwich (no bread). I've sometimes not eaten because I don't feel like preparing something.

In the big scheme of things this is minor. I should start preparing meals to eat in advance but let's not rush me now. It was a pretty big deal that I recently started chopping up vegetables for my meals. :wacky:
Me too! Convenience food has been tough to swerve because it's just so darned available *everywhere* at the weak moments. Chewing sugar free gum has been my saviour in those moments, until I can get my paws on something I can make. I've dropped buying apples, too (I used to 'snack' on those - right up until I realised the carb and sugar content, yikes! Diet/snacks at the moment is any protein and salads/non starchy vegetables. It's not as much fun as the convenience foods, but I guess this is how life is now, bah!!

Reactions: Tracy27

neithskye

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Me too! Convenience food has been tough to swerve because it's just so darned available *everywhere* at the weak moments. Chewing sugar free gum has been my saviour in those moments, until I can get my paws on something I can make. I've dropped buying apples, too (I used to 'snack' on those - right up until I realised the carb and sugar content, yikes! Diet/snacks at the moment is any protein and salads/non starchy vegetables. It's not as much fun as the convenience foods, but I guess this is how life is now, bah!!
Not just fun but convenient. I used to eat a banana while driving. The peel contained the mess. I can't exactly grab a handful of salad and attempt to eat it while driving.

What I should be doing is chopping up sticks of veggies like celery, peppers, cucumbers, etc., putting them in Tupperware, then putting the container in the drink holder in the car, so I can "convenience" eat that way. One day at a time. ;)

Tracy27

@Tracy27 exactly that! - tomorrow is another day. You're totally in control of this and that a powerful thing. Knowledge is power, read up on anything you're not sure of, then try tweaking to suit your lifestyle. Yesterday was a nightmare for me - Halloween weekend = was at a friend's and there's lots of high sugar, high carb snacks and general rubbish (but delicious!) food. It was a total test of the willpower, so I literally avoided the food table (or it could get savage with me smashing something I shouldn't, haha!) - I ate before I went (high protein) and just swerved the food. I do the same in supermarkets now too - at least until my willpower is much stronger, I avoid the 'naughty aisles' because I know they don't have anything for me anymore. It gets easier with time. Big hugs to ya.
Strong lady!! Will take onboard what you've said. Supermarkets not good right now but it was easier the second time once I've got my head around what foods are good, especially snacks I feel it will be easier, hard to resist naughty stuff in the cupboard when your hungry

Tracy27

Hugs

IronLioness

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Routine
Not just fun but convenient. I used to eat a banana while driving. The peel contained the mess. I can't exactly grab a handful of salad and attempt to eat it while driving.

What I should be doing is chopping up sticks of veggies like celery, peppers, cucumbers, etc., putting them in Tupperware, then putting the container in the drink holder in the car, so I can "convenience" eat that way. One day at a time. ;)
Haha!! I know what you mean @neithskye my job needs me to travel up and down the country and bananas were always my *go to* snack. That and sandwiches, maybe crisps, too, ahem... No more of that eh.. On long drives/train trips I'm finding those mini packets of crudités and chicken pieces are helpful. But by goodness, do I miss the bananas and bread! *facepalms

neithskye

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Haha!! I know what you mean @neithskye my job needs me to travel up and down the country and bananas were always my *go to* snack. That and sandwiches, maybe crisps, too, ahem... No more of that eh.. On long drives/train trips I'm finding those mini packets of crudités and chicken pieces are helpful. But by goodness, do I miss the bananas and bread! *facepalms
I donated blood on Friday. After, you have to stay in a "recovery" area for 10 minutes to make sure you're okay. They give you juice and snacks (cookies, crackers). Well, I couldn't have any of the juice, and when checking the nutritional info of the snacks to see what I could have everything had 30-50 grams of carbs! For a tiny bag! Finally settled on some tiny bag of veggie crackers with 15 grams of carbs. I've been donating blood for 30 years. Never had to examine the snacks before (just diagnosed in July).

IronLioness

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Routine
I donated blood on Friday. After, you have to stay in a "recovery" area for 10 minutes to make sure you're okay. They give you juice and snacks (cookies, crackers). Well, I couldn't have any of the juice, and when checking the nutritional info of the snacks to see what I could have everything had 30-50 grams of carbs! For a tiny bag! Finally settled on some tiny bag of veggie crackers with 15 grams of carbs. I've been donating blood for 30 years. Never had to examine the snacks before (just diagnosed in July).
Holy moly 30-50g! These little things just sneak up on you eh! Well done for avoiding!

magicmoose

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I've struggled since I was diagnosed in 2005 as I've always been an emotional eater, so more often than not controlling my T2 has been difficult.

Gradually the HbA1c has been climbing despite weight loss. This last 18 months has been incredibly difficult because of my depression, I've really struggled to access help from mental health services, despite seeking help it's not been there!

I've come to realise in recent months if I'm going to get better I need to focus on me more and that starts with no longer seeking help from others because I'm let down all too often.