1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2020 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

What do you find the hardest about living with diabetes?

Discussion in 'Emotional and Mental Health' started by IronLioness, Oct 8, 2018.

1. Patrick66

Patrick66 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Hardest ?.

Finding foods I genuinely enjoy eating. Its not so much trying to replace that sweet tooth craving I had but knowing I had more variety before and now it feels very restricted to the point where I just eat because I have to.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  2. KTNIC

KTNIC · Active Member

What a brilliant and honest post. I must try your philosophy! It's the not knowing what's right and wrong to eat that's getting to me. So many conflicting advice. I've found it easyish to cut out the chocolate, cake, biscuits, even the large amounts of wine I drank!
    But like you I have a million questions.

3. KTNIC

KTNIC · Active Member

I'm a newbie. Not got a monitor yet. Breakfast today was porridge ( not instant) semi skimmed milk/water + blueberries, cinnamon & mixture of seeds. Is this ok? Lunch , scrambled eggs, seeded toast, tomatoes & watercress etc.
    Spent half an hour in Sainsbury's checking labels and using the change 4 life scanner!!!!!

• Hug Hug x 2
  4. HSSS

HSSS Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Hi. When you get your meter you’ll be able to tell what spikes you as an individual. Test immediately before a meal and then 2 hrs after. If it’s the slow release type of carb or there’s a lot of fat with it it’s worth testing again after that jst in case it’s still on the way up.

The following advice applies to type 2. If you are on any meds that lower blood glucose (gliclazide for example or insulin) you need to monitor levels closely and adjust meds accordingly, ideally with hcp support. As you eat fewer carbs you’ll likely need less meds or you risk going too low which can be very serious.

It’s not always the same for everyone but there are some main suspects highly likely to cause spikes. Porridge is on that list as is toast. Many replace milk with cream, watered down if required or at the very least use full fat and limit quantities. Generally you want to minimise or avoid any grains that includes breads, crisps, typical flours, cereals and oats and also seed oils. Also rice, pasta and potatoes of any colour. Fruit is generally not your friend with the exception of berries and avocado. Instead and to replace the energy you got from these fats from meats, cheeses, other dairy including butter, cream and Greek full fat yoghurts. Also good oils like coconut, olive and avocado. Nuts too. Vegetables are best generally from above ground sources but there are a few beneath ground ones that aren’t too bad, eg carrot, swede and turnip and a few above ground that aren’t as good as others eg peas and sweet corn. Dark chocolate, ideally 85% is allowed.

Dietdoctor.com and ditchthecarbs.com both have some great food lists and visuals giving you an idea of the good and not so good options. Both have lots of recipes too. Most things you currently eat have an alternative, albeit some are a better imitation than others.

Not sure what the change for life scanner is or what it priories as “good”.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Freema

Freema Type 2 · Expert

a breakfast without carbs is not porridge which is a high carb meal, toast is a high carb food as well

6. Concordjan

Concordjan Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I really miss porridge, especially on these cold winter mornings. I generally have ff Greek yoghurt and a few berries while my OH has a big bowl of hot porridge with a spoon full of golden syrup mixed in - lovely! Wish there was a lc alternative.

• Like Like x 1
  7. KTNIC

KTNIC · Active Member

Thank you. I was told to eat porridge by the diabetes nurse! Never said anything when I said I ate at least 3 fruits a day. I do eat either blueberries or raspberries every day .

8. HSSS

That’s because many of them still follow the eatwell plate as advocated by the nhs and don’t have to live with the consequences of eating the carbs we don’t process properly. That recommends starchy carbs and fruit. There is little differentiation between diabetics and non diabetics. Recognising the benefits of low carb eating by the nhs is a slow process that is very gradually happening.

9. KTNIC

KTNIC · Active Member

Thanks . I have looked at the ditch the carbs website. Interesting! No longer will I have to leave the kitchen when my other half is cooking bacon!!! I will have aloof at the other site later.
    What is keto? I'm sorry to be so ill informed! There's so much stuff out there! Also what do you know about the Nhs Desmond programme.

10. HSSS

Keto is also low carb, but low enough to take you into a state of ketosis where your body switches into burning fat for fuel instead of glucose. Some apply additional criteria of which foods qualify, others are concerned purely for being in ketosis. Both sites have descriptions and explanations. You’ll hear specific grams of carbs mentioned , often 20. That’s just the number pretty much guaranteed to get everyone into to it. Some do it with higher numbers up to 50 ish isn’t uncommon. Common issues are eating too much or not enough fat and dehydration and electrolyte loss. All easily rectified. Do some reading and check back in if you’re interested on the low carb forum.

11. HSSS

There is a coconut flour version ala @Rachox hopefully she’ll post it for you soon. It’s good.

12. HSSS

For anything you miss do a google search with the words low carb or keto added. You’ll find lots of ideas and sites that help.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Rachox

Rachox Type 2 (in remission!) · Moderator
    Staff Member

Here’s my all time favourite low carb breakfast! Coconut ‘porridge’ I eat it with a couple of chopped up strawberries and double cream every day :hungry:
    https://www.dietdoctor.com/recipes/keto-coconut-porridge

• Like Like x 3
  14. Concordjan

Concordjan Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Thank you for that, I’ll certainly give it a go.

• Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  15. Ponchu

Ponchu · Well-Known Member

Looking at home made breads ...

“You can never have this again.”

Variety can become an issue when we’ve been raised on it.

I’ve had a few chicken meals w only chicken.

I’ve enjoyed them but it’s weird.

I’ve a half century worth of

Meat
    Potato
    Vegetable
    Roll
    Dessert

Or
    Various combos of pasta, breads etc.

“You can have this but you’ll need Rx to lower BG.”

I recognize it’s not always this simple.

I’ve learned from watching & talking to Type 2’s who have “diabetes burn out” who now eat whatever the hell they want and rely on meds.

I don’t condemn them for this.

I’ve only been controlling Type 2 for 6 months (less than 20 carbs per day).

• Agree Agree x 2
  16. nicky-52

nicky-52 Type 1 · Member

The worst thing about diabetes, is you never get a day off

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. SlimLizzy

SlimLizzy Prediabetes · Well-Known Member

Could go on to a proper whinge fest here :depressed::confused::sour::banghead::arghh::bigtears::grumpy:

18. Winnie-the-Pooh

Winnie-the-Pooh · Well-Known Member

I of course find the food part hard , but I can handle my new diet since I feel I can still find things I enjoy to eat .

What I hate most and what hurts me most is the uncertainty, how long I will be insulin free , how hard it is , what if I loose my job and so my insurance ( I’m from US so no public health insurance). How long I can work as hard to maintain my career ? What happens after retirement ? My job requires me to travel overseas frequently. How I gonna manage it ? How my diabetes affect my eyes, my kidney and my General well being ? Am I type 2 or lada or MODY? I have a very successful career as a scientist and worked so hard for it . What happens to it now ? There is so much on my mind.

19. Diakat

Diakat Type 1 · Moderator
    Staff Member

You take a deep breath and keep going. Your a scientist so read papers and studies and learn. Collect your data and act on it.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. Brunneria

Brunneria Other · Moderator
    Staff Member

I totally agree with @Diakat
    Knowledge is power.
    Knowledge is also very, very, reassuring, because it prevents you from falling for the scaremongering - and there is a whole shedload of that, all over the internet. and in so called 'general knowledge' offered by 'well meaning' friends, family and colleagues.

Basically, don't take anything that anyone says at face value - even what I am saying to you now.
    Listen to them, remember what they said.
    Then check up on it - carefully.
    Most of what the media and the general public know about diabetes (any type) is so simplified that it makes no sense.
    So slowly, at your own pace, build up your own knowledge base.
    It is astonishingly reassuring.
    :)

• Like Like x 1
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook