Sudden changes

He_Who_Is_T

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi there - Is there any relation of your taking Metformin and the onset of the chest and arm pains?

I was at an event on Monday where a lady with diabetes was talking to me about how she was getting along and so on. Curiously enough she mentioned that Metformin had given her chest and neck pains, which made her feel very unwell. There wasn't any immediate connection between the two, but she (unilaterally) decided to take a break from Metformin (as she had been having a phase of tummy reactions and she couldn't cope with both). Within a week, her pain had gone (and her tummy was better), so she decided to try harder on her diet.

Now, I had never heard of this acute chest pain before, and we see a few newly diagnosed T2s through the forum, so it may not be a common thing.

I'm absolutely not suggesting you have the same thing as that lady, but it could be worth asking the medics next you see them.

I do hope you get some clarification soon.

As I described to the GP it isn't a pain as such its more an ache discomfort no affect on my breathing or tightness etc and its not always in the same place however most frequent is directly in the centre of my chest.

I took metaformin last year for a few months without issue? weighed today and I've lost almost 3st

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Sorry for my ignorance but what are Statins?
Statins are prescribed by doctors if they think your cholesterol level is too high.
The NHS recommends that total cholesterol should be 5 or less, and for diabetics 4 or less.
But there is controversy as to whether total cholesterol is relevant, or whether the component parts and their ratios to each other are more important.

He_Who_Is_T

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Statins are prescribed by doctors if they think your cholesterol level is too high.
The NHS recommends that total cholesterol should be 5 or less, and for diabetics 4 or less.
But there is controversy as to whether total cholesterol is relevant, or whether the component parts and their ratios to each other are more important.

Thank you

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
Hi @He_Who_Is_T, Chest pain can have serious causes. Have you spoken with your GP about them?
Statins can have some unpleasant side-effects like moderate to severe muscle pain and this is an added reason why some people avoid them.