1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2020 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Sudden changes

Discussion in 'Newly Diagnosed' started by He_Who_Is_T, Sep 19, 2018.

1. He_Who_Is_T

He_Who_Is_T Type 2 · Member

Sorry for my ignorance but what are Statins?

2. He_Who_Is_T

As I described to the GP it isn't a pain as such its more an ache discomfort no affect on my breathing or tightness etc and its not always in the same place however most frequent is directly in the centre of my chest.

I took metaformin last year for a few months without issue? weighed today and I've lost almost 3st

3. He_Who_Is_T

Had my blood tests today

4. Prem51

Prem51 Type 2 · Expert

Statins are prescribed by doctors if they think your cholesterol level is too high.
    The NHS recommends that total cholesterol should be 5 or less, and for diabetics 4 or less.
    But there is controversy as to whether total cholesterol is relevant, or whether the component parts and their ratios to each other are more important.

• Like Like x 2
  5. He_Who_Is_T

Thank you

6. kitedoc

kitedoc Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Hi @He_Who_Is_T, Chest pain can have serious causes. Have you spoken with your GP about them?
    Statins can have some unpleasant side-effects like moderate to severe muscle pain and this is an added reason why some people avoid them.

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook