No GTT test - more numbers

Zaza83

Hi,

It's me again. I have had an apointment with my midwife and she said she won't test early GD, same as my GP.

I showed her my numbers for 5 days. Here are some of the numbers from the last couple of days below:

6.1 - morning fasting
4.9 - before lunch
5.2 and 5.7 - two hours after lunch
4.8 and 5.1 - before dinner
6.7 - one hour after dinner

DAY 2

5.2 and 5.4 - morning reading
5.7 - one hour after breakfast
4.9 - before lunch
6.9 - 7.1 - one hour after lunch
4.8 - 2 hours after lunch
5.8 - before dinner (had some snacks in between lunch and dinner)
5.4 and 5.9 - one hour after dinner

She didn't look through them properly, just a cursory look.

Do those numbers look problematic? My fasting finger prick has been 6.1 once, I hadn't slept much at all and have been worried.

* Can lack of sleep affect blood sugar levels?

* If I wait for GTT test and in the mean time adopt a low carb diet for the next few weeks, will it be an accurate test if I have been low carb for a few weeks?

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Those numbers look absolutely fine.

lack of sleep or stress can nudge the numbers up a bit, but right now it seems you are inflicting the stress upon yourself.

If you lowcarb then have an OGTT, without the appropriate preparation, of eating the appropriate amount of carbs for several days beforehand (something like 130gr a day, if I recall accurately, but don't hols me to that number) it increases the chances of a false positive result.

I suggest you try to relax a bit - maybe try mindfulness or meditation, but please do try to begin enjoying your pregnancy. It's a special time and there's a danger you are marring it with your anxiety.

Reactions: Blip22

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
Hi @Zaza83, In Australia at least, all pregnant women have a GTT performed at 24-28 weeks of pregnancy as this is said to be the usual time for occurrence of GD.
Having quoted that (Diabetes Australia - Gestational Diabetes), the advice also says for those at increased risk of GD are to be tested earlier - patients over 40 years old; family history of T2D or first degree relative (mother, sister) with GD; > than healthy weight for state of pregnancy or rapid weight gain in first 20 weeks; certain nationalities at higher risk; past history of GD; history of Polycystic Ovary Syndrome; past baby delivered with birthweight > 4.5 kg; those prescribed some forms of anti-psychotic or steroid medication.

Zaza83

Those numbers look absolutely fine.

lack of sleep or stress can nudge the numbers up a bit, but right now it seems you are inflicting the stress upon yourself.

If you lowcarb then have an OGTT, without the appropriate preparation, of eating the appropriate amount of carbs for several days beforehand (something like 130gr a day, if I recall accurately, but don't hols me to that number) it increases the chances of a false positive result.

I suggest you try to relax a bit - maybe try mindfulness or meditation, but please do try to begin enjoying your pregnancy. It's a special time and there's a danger you are marring it with your anxiety.

Thank you. I am trying to relax, but it's difficult as I am scared I have GD. Some of my first morning numbers since I have been testing are quite high like 6.1, 5.7. Those numbers, from what I have read here, are not normal for non diabetics. I think the top end is 5.5. But the rest of the day seems okay.

Zaza83

Hi @Zaza83, In Australia at least, all pregnant women have a GTT performed at 24-28 weeks of pregnancy as this is said to be the usual time for occurrence of GD.
Having quoted that (Diabetes Australia - Gestational Diabetes), the advice also says for those at increased risk of GD are to be tested earlier - patients over 40 years old; family history of T2D or first degree relative (mother, sister) with GD; > than healthy weight for state of pregnancy or rapid weight gain in first 20 weeks; certain nationalities at higher risk; past history of GD; history of Polycystic Ovary Syndrome; past baby delivered with birthweight > 4.5 kg; those prescribed some forms of anti-psychotic or steroid medication.

Thanks for the the info. I am in the UK and I don't think I have any of those risk factors, however, I have had an awful first trimester where I was soooooo exhausted and nasueous, I just didn't walk much or eat much execpt a lot of white carbs and had some fizzy dronks to get me through. I have never known exhaustion like it. But my HbA1c was 30 mmol 3 months before I got pregnant. Not sure if it is possible to get to 48 and above in 4 or 5 months? Maybe my symptoms are down to thyroid issues, which have not been checked or general pregnancy. Not sure. I just feel spaced out after I eat a moderate/heavy meal.

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hello @Zaza83 It is perfectly normal during pregnancy to feel completely exhausted, it's a time of great change with hormones and a growing baby to feel this way. Also your readings if taken after food look perfectly normal, I think you are placing more stress on yourself and your baby by worrying about this.

Try and accept that your body will change and develop with pregnancy and try doing some moderate exercise which will help greatly in reducing your anxiety, such as walking or swimming.

When I was pregnant I tried to enjoy the experience as much as possible, so took time out for myself to relax and take it easy, a happy mum = a happy baby so it's important to worry less and enjoy each day more.

Zaza83

Hello @Zaza83 It is perfectly normal during pregnancy to feel completely exhausted, it's a time of great change with hormones and a growing baby to feel this way. Also your readings if taken after food look perfectly normal, I think you are placing more stress on yourself and your baby by worrying about this.

Try and accept that your body will change and develop with pregnancy and try doing some moderate exercise which will help greatly in reducing your anxiety, such as walking or swimming.

When I was pregnant I tried to enjoy the experience as much as possible, so took time out for myself to relax and take it easy, a happy mum = a happy baby so it's important to worry less and enjoy each day more.
Some of my readings in the morning have been 6.1 or 5.7. The rest are below 5.4. And after food readings have been okay I guess but I have been on a lower carb diet.

The only thing that made me a bit worried aboit this was my initial random plasma glucose trst of 5.9, which was flagged as high on hospital computer but it wasn't a fasting one. Anyway, since mt first baby doed in labour I am wary of health professionals and like to do my own research too after they failed me.

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hi @Zaza83 I appreciate your experience has left you feeling anxious, I am pretty sure if I was in your shoes i'd be feeling quite nervous about this too, but please don't stress, it's important for your well being and your baby's that you don't get stressed or anxious and although I have no idea what happened during your labour please remember that there are some health care professionals around who do an excellent job and will take great care of you, it's a compassionate role so those who do it generally have an instinct to do their best for you and for your baby, so please try to give them some faith in what they do so they can best support you. In regards to gestational diabetes please put this to one side, it's not relevant in your case, sadly google has a brilliant ability to combine 2+2 and give you 5 so give your anxiety levels a rest and try and get some gentle exercise, or meet up with friends for a catch up, do something that helps you think about something else :)

Zaza83

Thank you for all your encouraging posts. I know even if I have GD, it's not the end of the world and most likely will go away after.

This might be a silly question but can I have developed diabetes from May when Hba1c was 30mmol til now like 5 months later? Can diabetes come on that quick?

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
Yes you could as , as type 1 diabetes develops quickly - but your numbers are not diabetic - so please do not begin to worry that you are T1 with those readings.
Please try not to focus on diabetes unless symptoms get a lot worse or you get a positive gtt.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you for all your encouraging posts. I know even if I have GD, it's not the end of the world and most likely will go away after.

This might be a silly question but can I have developed diabetes from May when Hba1c was 30mmol til now like 5 months later? Can diabetes come on that quick?

Zara, it's not impossible to develop diabetes quickly, but bearing in mind your starting point of n A1c of 30, your finger prick readings and that you have reduced the carbs you have been eating, it's highly unlikely.

Zaza83

Well anyway today is a different story. I had some carbs to see what my readings would be like. For lunch I had carrots, cucumbers, and a lentil and butterbean soup with croutons. After I felt spaced out and tired. I checked 1 hour after and my readings were high 7's and 1 reading of 8.6.

Then for dinner I had a wholemeal baguette sandwoch with tuna and lots of salad. The reading I am getting after 1 hour is 8.1.

Definitely got issues with carbs.

Zaza83

It's still high after 2 hours at 6.7.

I'm not sure now whether to stick to low carbs until GTT or just stick to normal carbs until GTT. My readings have only been ok only with low carbs. Will go nag my GP again to give me a GTT earlier. Feeling so down now.

Zaza83

Would an 8.6 1 hour after meals give me the tired spaced out feeling? I have just booked a private OGTT test for 2 weeks time, which will give me a definite answer and then at least I can do something about it.

Also, is it worth doing a hba1c or not alongside OGTT? Or is hba1c only reliable outside of pregnancy?

Geordie_P

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Probably best to not overthink it: you've booked your test now, so see how that goes for an official diagnosis, and then take things from there. For what it's worth, your test results still don't look particularly high: you are eating high-carb food then testing after only one hour, but even with this your results aren't that high at all. A reading of 6.7 two hours after a high-carb meal is well within the 'non-diabetic' range.

Cocosilk

Type of diabetes
Gestational
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi,

It's me again. I have had an apointment with my midwife and she said she won't test early GD, same as my GP.

I showed her my numbers for 5 days. Here are some of the numbers from the last couple of days below:

6.1 - morning fasting
4.9 - before lunch

DAY 2

4.9 - before lunch

Do those numbers look problematic? My fasting finger prick has been 6.1 once, I hadn't slept much at all and have been worried.

* If I wait for GTT test and in the mean time adopt a low carb diet for the next few weeks, will it be an accurate test if I have been low carb for a few weeks?

What was the outcome of your GTT? I know this post is old but I am curious because I was recently diagnosed with GD at 28 weeks and my fasting was only 5.1 (I'm in Australia), which is the new cut off for diagnosis. 5.0 and under they say you are okay. It's only been a couple of weeks and my OB said he is happy for me to control it with diet for now. This week my morning fasting readings have been 5.3, 5.4 with one 5.6, but if I wait an hour or two after getting up before eating breakfast and test again, they can go down to 4.7 - 4.9.
If I eat processed carbs, like VitaBrits, (I had 4 one afternoon with a teaspn of honey) I got a 1 hr spike of 9.0 that lingered and was still 8.0 at the 2 hour mark when they want it to be 6.7 and under, so if I eat carbs from vegetable sources or our home made sour dough rye, and have the smaller portions recommended (instead of over eating :D ) then I don't have too much trouble keeping my daytime after meal levels within the limits, but the morning fasting won't budge.
The diabetes officer at the hospital was surprised our OB hasn't put me on at least Metformin yet. I didn't want to take it if I don't have to but I did read on a forum of someone with 5.1 fasting who wasn't diagnosed with GD whose baby was born with hypoglycemia, so maybe being over 5.1 for the morning fasting does matter, and some don't like their spikes to be over 7.0.

If anyone is feeling wiped out after a carb meal , which happens to me, then don't eat those carbs, or only eat tiny portions. Eat fresh vegetables until you are full. Add small portions of good quality protein from meat and dairy if you can tolerate it. Home made bread that you know doesn't contain malt or any sweeteners is the best bet for a carb, and small amounts of sweet potato or legumes (I find Cannelli beans don't spike me as high as Chick peas) might work as a carb for you. Fruit can be okay too. Watermelon gave me a spike me of 7.2 after one hour but within 2 hours I was back to 5.3.
I also find that I can't combine carbs without higher spikes, up to 8 - 9.0 one hour after eating, like once I had supermarket bread (one slice) with cheese, also some dried apple, strawberries and banana. I was 8.7 but dropped to 6.2 after 2 hours, which is fine I guess, but if you want more stable levels, have one type of carb at a time mixed with protein in a meal. Bread or fruit. The only time I can have fruit and bread together is if it's our own homemade sour dough which definitely doesn't contain sugar.

I'm just waiting now to see if I end up on medication. If I had eaten the processed cereals they say are allowable on our GD diet, I would have had unacceptable 2 hour levels so it'll be interesting to see if being low carb gets me though. If my fasting levels creep up, I don't think I will have a choice but to take a medication. Question is, should I be taking one now already like the diabetic counsellor at the hospital expected because my fasting levels are over 5.1? Or are the risks and side effects of the medication going to do damage too?

Blip22

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Double speak
Hi,

6.1 - morning fasting
4.9 - before lunch

DAY 2

4.9 - before lunch

Hello. I would say your blood glucose results look very good. For example for me non pregnant, my one hr value after eating is likely to be 12 -17mmol then 3 - 6hrs later 2.1mmol. On a OGTT more like 29mmol - 2.1 or lower often resulting in a seizure due to the rapid changes from extremely high to low. So yours to me look very good. Personally I would avoid having the OGTT done until after your pregnancy, I say this only because if you blood glucose were like mine you could risk a seizure, though I believe this is a fairly rare response. However if at a later date you do arrange one ask for a six hr extended OGTT, just to be sure. In the meantime eat plenty of fresh green veg, protein (lamb quite a healthy meat) or if vegetarian then nuts, peas, beans, fish, eggs, milk. Try to avoid sugar, and sweet drinks. But most of all enjoy your pregnancy, get out in the spring/summer weather to your nearest woods and parks, and maybe start to write some little stories for your new baby..xxx

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Hi,

6.1 - morning fasting
4.9 - before lunch

DAY 2

4.9 - before lunch

Your numbers look pretty good @Zaza83 so don't worry about it, concentrate on keeping yourself calm, relaxed and enjoy your pregnancy. I had my daughter 18 years ago at 42 1.2 years old, type 1.
Wishing you a safe and a healthy delivery, with a beautiful baby to cherish, take care.