One in eight Britons are now vegetarian or vegan, survey reveals

DCUK NewsBot

One in eight Britons are now choosing to be either vegetarian or vegan, according to a new report. The figures have been released as part of an annual food and drink survey compiled by Waitrose, which looks at shopping trends among its customers. The vegan movement continues to grow as millions of people around the world celebrate World Vegan Day, which is always on 1 November and was initially introduced in 1944 to mark the launch of the Vegan Society. World Vegan Day is the first day of World Vegan Month, which is celebrated worldwide to recognise how beneficial a vegan diet can be. Veganism is predominately a plant-based diet where animal produce including dairy items and all meats are completely avoided. Earlier this week a review of several research studies showed that eating a plant-based or vegan diet could significantly reduce risk factors for type 2 diabetes and also improve psychological wellbeing. The Waitrose report report revealed that the age group of 18-34 were particularly more likely to switch to veganism, but those aged 55 or older were less inclined to switch to the diet. According to the Vegan Society the number of people who are following the food movement has grown fourfold in the past four years from 150,000 to 600,000. Rob Collins, Waitrose managing director, said: "Being mindful of how we live and eat has become a priority in today's world. A consumer revolution is quietly taking place. You won’t see people shouting about it in the shopping aisles, but it's happening nonetheless." We have recently introduced a Vegan Meal Plans series on our award-winning Low Carb Program. The meal plans feature 11 weeks of low carb breakfasts, lunches and dinners, as well as shopping lists to help you on your low carb journey.

Continue reading...

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
? Time to invest on manufacture of B12 tablets??

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
One in eight Waitrose customers possibly. I wonder how many that would be if the survey had been conducted by Lidl or ASDA?

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
My son is vegetarian, that's after working in an abattoir, he left after a couple of days and I was vegetarian in the 1990's, for 2 1/2 years.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I've forgotten the exact percentage, but it was a significant number of the vegetarians on this survey who admitted to eating meat, mostly in the form of a bacon butty or a burger, at weekends and also at Christmas. I think they were described as Flexitarians.

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I wonder what the average shelf life of a Vegan is compared to omnivores. I went vegan for 6 months while I was at Uni, and it made me suffciently ill that I had to drop out and extend my 3year course to 4 years. I have since met and lived with other vegans who extol the virtues of their choice as being healthy, but were in fact taking sick leave of absence quite often. Cannot blame the diet since it may have been for other non related medical reasons, but I do remember that photo session for a vegan conference in USA a few years back and it was clear that many were undernourished in their photo's. I am not convinced that the health arguments hold water, and certainly in respect to T2D, since my recent trials of vegan recipes have been a bgl disaster.

PS I tried to find the conference photos that I based my pasty faced observations on but they are now behind a firewall, and the conferences since have placed copyright protection on their photcalls.

Last edited:

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
I wonder what the average shelf life of a Vegan is compared to omnivores. I went vegan for 6 months while I was at Uni, and it made me suffciently ill that I had to drop out and extend my 3year course to 4 years. I have since met and lived with other vegans who extol the virtues of their choice as being healthy, but were in fact taking sick leave of absence quite often. Cannot blame the diet since it may have been for other non related medical reasons, but I do remember that photo session for a vegan conference in USA a few years back and it was clear that many were undernourished in their photo's. I am not convinced that the health arguments hold water, and certainly in respect to T2D, since my recent trials of vegan recipes have been a bgl disaster.
Maybe a temporary period like fasting would work better and once again.... another tool to suppress glucose and insulin overproduction?

Davie_sett

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I still eat meat but allot less than i used to and feel allot fitter now so i guess if its done properly it can work

Last edited:
Reactions: Pinkorchid

Pinkorchid

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It has been said that more people are becoming vegetarians because they are finding meat to expensive especially those on a limited budget

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
It has been said that more people are becoming vegetarians because they are finding meat to expensive especially those on a limited budget

It is if they buy best fillet steaks, legs of lamb and best topside joints. It doesn't have to be.

My 2 grandchildren are vegans and have been for coming up to 3 years. They are both at university. That is the only thing I can think of as to why they have gone down this route. As far as I can see all they eat are fruit, veggies and tons of carbs, plus vegan alternatives to butter, pastry and so forth. Not to mention bottles of supplements.

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I wish I could eat more vegetables, but as always, you are what you are, and i'll stick to my balance of what has worked for me. I can't abide cooked vegetables!
Too much of anything is bad for you, too little does not mean, not enough, we all eat too much!
Healthy for you, doesn't mean healthy for me!

Pinkorchid

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I love vegetables, they are tasty and nutritious but the best thing about them is that they go so well with meat.
For me it is the vegetables that are the main part of my meal with a small portion of chicken the only meat I eat.

caroline_92

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
2E0EF48E-10FA-45C6-88EF-081EE69BDDBE.jpeg
For anyone with a sense of humour - this made me smile from the Daily Mash

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
How can anyone describe themselves as vegan (or vegetarian) if they eat meat or fish? Even part time.
It makes no sense whatsoever.
I guess flexitarian is a trendy word to describe someone who eats meat and fish and dairy - and plants.
So that's an omnivore then, isn't it?
Like the rest of us.

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
How can anyone describe themselves as vegan (or vegetarian) if they eat meat or fish? Even part time.
It makes no sense whatsoever.
I guess flexitarian is a trendy word to describe someone who eats meat and fish and dairy - and plants.
So that's an omnivore then, isn't it?
Like the rest of us.
Reminds me of a quote from Groucho Marx.......
"Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others."

Reactions: Bluetit1802

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Maybe a temporary period like fasting would work better and once again.... another tool to suppress glucose and insulin overproduction?
Errm, are you by any chance suggesting using Fasting instead of a vegan meal for a T2D? I do use fasting, and it seems to work and I agree it is another tool, but why does a vegan vegetable stew (Michael Greger) spike me horribly for over 6 hours, but a normal stew with slice of B&B seems not too bad?

Edited by Mod

Last edited by a moderator:

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Errm, are you by any chance suggesting using Fasting instead of a vegan meal for a T2D? I do use fasting, and it seems to work and I agree it is another tool, but why does a vegan vegetable stew (Michael Greger) spike me horribly for over 6 hours, but a normal stew with slice of B&B seems not too bad?

Edited by Mod
I think vegan eating for T2's could be beneficial if only used intermittently like fasting.
Sorry you spike on protein alternatives? Beans due to fibre spike me but I suspect sugary bean sauce. Beans are like porridge on my bgs.
High protein diet seems to be protecting my kidneys not damage them... ... however I'm on very low protein on 800cals diet. Just protein powder but due to sugar content I cannot reduce my insulin any more than a third. Meberine sugar is a pain too.
Cravings due to sugar intake. No protein to replace carbs. Veg, veg and more veg.
Enjoying cucumber dip sticks again, though.

800cals diet not vegan due to its contents in shakes, especially milk.
Thinking of changing to water instead of milk just to lower carb content.
Munching too many carrots too.