1st Keto blood test, raised Urate and Irony

pdmjoker

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Like many on this forum, I was showing signs that my body was ailing after following a low fat high carb diet, and I was unable to lose weight. A year ago I was pre-diabetic (HbA1c of 42) and apart from Insulin Resistance and being overweight, had other signs of metabolic syndrome: increased blood pressure and excess body fat around the waist. In short, my metabolism was messed-up and not coping.

I went Ketogenic on 3rd July, have lost 27lbs, lost three inches around my waist and my BP is lower. Various blood tests were taken on 25th June before I started and repeated on 16th Oct.

Key results:

HbA1c from 41 to 31
HDL from 0.99 to 1.24
LDL from 2.18 to 2.84
Trigs from 0.5 to 0.7
Urate from 377 to 496

(Having finished a meal only 11 hrs 20 mins before the second test might account for the Trigs increase.)

I was informed by the GP surgery there was nothing to be alarmed about, but my GP wanted to talk to me over the phone. I guessed he was concerned about Urate being above 430 and the possibility of gout. In preparation I watched a video by Dr. Eric Berg DC about raised urate in people doing Keto and how to tackle it:

My GP was indeed concerned about elevated urate, and I told him it was evidence of gluconeogenesis as about 75% of my brain had adapted to burning ketones but the rest still needed glucose. Also, it could easily be corrected by increasing my potassium citrate intake or having lemon juice (Note: or more salt. The increase in my beef/pork consumption might also be a contributory factor.)

My GP said I had clearly read-up about the Keto diet but: "it isn't wise to mess around with your metabolism". :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

Edit: Corrected quote from GP

Last edited:

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
it wasn't wise to mess around with my metabolism

He' d far rather you took some pills because obviously they wont "mess" with your metabolism.. sometimes I wish we could play back their stupid statements..
Interesting that your trigs have gone up (although very slightly) had you fasted before the test? 12-14 hours is recommended here.

Reactions: CranberryIce

pdmjoker

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
He' d far rather you took some pills because obviously they wont "mess" with your metabolism..
Yes, or ended up with diabetes and injecting insulin...
I wondered about the Trigs, hence "(Having finished a meal only 11 hrs 20 mins before the second test might account for the Trigs increase.)"
Q: Have you (or anyone else) had raised urate?

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Most recent
Serum urea level 5.6 mmol/L [2.5 - 7.8] mid October 2018
Serum urea level 7.6 mmol/L [2.5 - 7.8] October 2017
Serum urea level 4.5 mmol/L [2.5 - 7.8] July 2016
Serum urea level 6.1 mmol/L [2.5 - 7.8] Jan 2016

So looks like mine is all over the place..

pdmjoker

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
@bulkbiker Thank you. My readings (377 and 496) are in umol/L according to the printout, so we don't tally (you can't be 5600 to my 496)...
Edit: looks like your numbers are mg/dL

Last edited:

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@bulkbiker Thank you. My readings (377 and 496) are in umol/L according to the printout, so we don't tally (you can't be 5600 to my 496)...
I think they must be measuring different things? Not an expert on pee tests I will freely admit.. Do your results have a reference range like mine do?

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Edit: looks like your numbers are mg/dL
That is a cut and paste from my online medical records.. so I think (hope) the units are correct...

Dark Horse

Most recent
Serum urea level 5.6 mmol/L [2.5 - 7.8] mid October 2018
Serum urea level 7.6 mmol/L [2.5 - 7.8] October 2017
Serum urea level 4.5 mmol/L [2.5 - 7.8] July 2016
Serum urea level 6.1 mmol/L [2.5 - 7.8] Jan 2016

So looks like mine is all over the place..
The OP specified urate. Urea (aka blood urea nitrogen) is not the same as urate (uric acid). Urea tends to be higher with high protein diet.

https://labtestsonline.org.uk/tests/uric-acid-test
https://labtestsonline.org.uk/tests/urea-test

Dark Horse

Like many on this forum, I was showing signs that my body was ailing after following a low fat high carb diet, and I was unable to lose weight. A year ago I was pre-diabetic (HbA1c of 42) and apart from Insulin Resistance and being overweight, had other signs of metabolic syndrome: increased blood pressure and excess body fat around the waist. In short, my metabolism was messed-up and not coping.

I went Ketogenic on 3rd July, have lost 27lbs, lost three inches around my waist and my BP is lower. Various blood tests were taken on 25th June before I started and repeated on 16th Oct.

Key results:

HbA1c from 41 to 31
HDL from 0.99 to 1.24
LDL from 2.18 to 2.84
Trigs from 0.5 to 0.7
Urate from 377 to 496

(Having finished a meal only 11 hrs 20 mins before the second test might account for the Trigs increase.)

I was informed by the GP surgery there was nothing to be alarmed about, but my GP wanted to talk to me over the phone. I guessed he was concerned about Urate being above 430 and the possibility of gout. In preparation I watched a video by Dr. Eric Berg DC about raised urate in people doing Keto and how to tackle it:

My GP was indeed concerned about elevated urate, and I told him it was evidence of gluconeogenesis as about 75% of my brain had adapted to burning ketones but the rest still needed glucose. Also, it could easily be corrected by increasing my potassium citrate intake or having lemon juice (Note: or more salt. The increase in my beef/pork consumption might also be a contributory factor.)

My GP said I had clearly read-up about the Keto diet but: "it wasn't wise to mess around with my metabolism". :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:
Re triglycerides - 0.5 and 0.7 are pretty much the same taking into account both laboratory and day-to-day variation.

Causes of raised urate:- https://www.mayoclinic.org/symptoms/high-uric-acid-level/basics/causes/sym-20050607

Reactions: pdmjoker

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

pdmjoker

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Many thanks for the helpful info. I hadn't spotted the word "urea" in the responder's post!

This helpful info from people on this forum has been instrumental in the progress I have made...
My fault I should have been more explicit..as for the trigs.. 11 hours previous should have had little impact but as @Dark Horse said its probably well within the margin of error.

Reactions: pdmjoker

pdmjoker

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
My fault I should have been more explicit..as for the trigs.. 11 hours previous should have had little impact but as @Dark Horse said its probably well within the margin of error.
No, my fault! Thank you for the info - will attempt 12-14 hr fast before next blood test though!