Church of England Children's Society hostels.

Irene Banting

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Meanness. Unkindness. Not much else.
I am just wondering if anyone else was in a Church of England Children's Society hostel for children with diabetes? My parents had divorced and Mum was not coping, so I was sent to live in one of these children's homes in 1965 at age 13, and was there until I left school at 17. There were 3 such homes, one of which I believe was just for boys.
https://www.hiddenlives.org.uk/homes/RUSTI01.html
The one I was at was called Shaftsbury House, then the name was changed to Carruthers Corfield House, at Rustington in Sussex. When I was there it was run by a Matron and her husband. I have very mixed feelings about this experience as I was desperately unhappy at being away from home, and yet was looked after really well and learned a lot about managing my diabetes. I think they probably saved my life, just wish I could have seen that at the time.
I would love to hear from anyone else who remembers!

Edited by Mod

Last edited by a moderator:

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
That’s so interesting - this organisation arranged my adoption in the 1970s, although I didn’t get diabetes until I was in my 20s.

Irene Banting

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Meanness. Unkindness. Not much else.
That’s so interesting - this organisation arranged my adoption in the 1970s, although I didn’t get diabetes until I was in my 20s.
It's a small world. I left there at 17 and then did my Nursery Nurse training at a C of E CS nursery in Felixstowe in Suffolk. Maybe I even went to college and met another girl who looked after you when you were a baby

Ray B

Type of diabetes
Type 1
It's a small world. I left there at 17 and then did my Nursery Nurse training at a C of E CS nursery in Felixstowe in Suffolk. Maybe I even went to college and met another girl who looked after you when you were a baby

Hello,
I have occasionally asked the same question as I went to St Monica’s, me Deal in Kent, about 1950. My home is Leeds, so it was a long way. I was at serious risk at home and enjoyed the experience. We also knew the staff under the title of ‘aunty’ and our matron was Auntie Mimi a French lady.
When I was 11 I was changed to a home in Salford, St George’s, which was boys only. I was there until I was nearly 17.
Were you on 80 Lente insulin, as we were at both the homes I was at, and carbohydrate based food regimes?
Good to hear from you.
I have had Type 1 for 74 years and believe I learnt some good lessons from those early years.
Cheers Ray B