1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Church of England Children's Society hostels.

Discussion in 'Type 1 Diabetes' started by Irene Banting, Nov 4, 2018.

1. Irene Banting

Irene Banting Type 1 · Member

I am just wondering if anyone else was in a Church of England Children's Society hostel for children with diabetes? My parents had divorced and Mum was not coping, so I was sent to live in one of these children's homes in 1965 at age 13, and was there until I left school at 17. There were 3 such homes, one of which I believe was just for boys.
    https://www.hiddenlives.org.uk/homes/RUSTI01.html
    The one I was at was called Shaftsbury House, then the name was changed to Carruthers Corfield House, at Rustington in Sussex. When I was there it was run by a Matron and her husband. I have very mixed feelings about this experience as I was desperately unhappy at being away from home, and yet was looked after really well and learned a lot about managing my diabetes. I think they probably saved my life, just wish I could have seen that at the time.
    I would love to hear from anyone else who remembers!

Edited by Mod

• Like Like x 3
    #1 Irene Banting, Nov 4, 2018 at 3:43 PM
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 4, 2018
  2. LooperCat

LooperCat Type 1 · Expert

That’s so interesting - this organisation arranged my adoption in the 1970s, although I didn’t get diabetes until I was in my 20s.

3. Irene Banting

Irene Banting Type 1 · Member

It's a small world. I left there at 17 and then did my Nursery Nurse training at a C of E CS nursery in Felixstowe in Suffolk. Maybe I even went to college and met another girl who looked after you when you were a baby

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  4. Ray B

Ray B Type 1 · Active Member

Hello,
    I have occasionally asked the same question as I went to St Monica’s, me Deal in Kent, about 1950. My home is Leeds, so it was a long way. I was at serious risk at home and enjoyed the experience. We also knew the staff under the title of ‘aunty’ and our matron was Auntie Mimi a French lady.
    When I was 11 I was changed to a home in Salford, St George’s, which was boys only. I was there until I was nearly 17.
    Were you on 80 Lente insulin, as we were at both the homes I was at, and carbohydrate based food regimes?
    Good to hear from you.
    I have had Type 1 for 74 years and believe I learnt some good lessons from those early years.
    Cheers Ray B

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook