Burnout

Engineer88

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hey guys, I've had a super ****** weekend and I'm sick of feeling sick.

I ended up in a+e with bgs of 26 and ketones after a cannula kinked. I had replaced it but bgs weren't coming down and I couldn't keep any fluids down.

They started out well but then wanted to give me 10u of actrapid after 2 hours of me being there, when bgs had come down a bit. Enough to kill me essentially.

The two days since have just been roller-coaster bgs with two 4am wake ups, this mornings being 2.7.

I haven't been in hospital due to D in about 15 years and I'm just thinking what's the ****** point. My Gp now wont help (cant - doesn't have a ****** clue) and I cant get a referral to Cambridge in any kind of rush "hopefully by the end of the week you'll get the paperwork" - what bloody use is that?!

Last edited by a moderator:

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
Hang on in there fella. This will pass and hopefully it passes soon. Best wishes.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people

I ended up in a+e with bgs of 26 and ketones after a cannula kinked. I had replaced it but bgs weren't coming down and I couldn't keep any fluids down.

They started out well but then wanted to give me 10u of actrapid after 2 hours of me being there, when bgs had come down a bit. Enough to kill me essentially.

The two days since have just been roller-coaster bgs with two 4am wake ups, this mornings being 2.7.

I haven't been in hospital due to D in about 15 years and I'm just thinking what's the ****** point. My Gp now wont help (cant - doesn't have a bloody clue) and I cant get a referral to Cambridge in any kind of rush "hopefully by the end of the week you'll get the paperwork" - what bloody use is that?!

Aaww, sorry to hear you have had such a rubbish time, hospitals and dr's don't have a clue sometimes and unfortunately for us, the patients, we seem to suffer in one way or another.
Take care and with lots of deep breaths, I hope things will get better for you.

therower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@Engineer88 . Wow that’s a **** weekend. Sounds like you’re about as low as you can go, there’s only one way to go now. Onwards and upwards. You know and all of us on the forum know that you are more than able at controlling the beast. I’ve read a lot of your posts and know how inspirational you are. Let the diabetes have its moment in the sun, go stand in front of the mirror, look at the person who has 28 yrs of knowledge, then kick the beasts **** until it realises just who the boss is.
Good luck, take care and stay strong.

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hi @Engineer88 Really sorry to hear this, try and take it easy, stress is a nightmare to deal with so one day at a time, we are all here to chat to, but hope a good nights rest and things will look a lot better in the morning, big hug from me x

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
Take a breath and try to just do the minimum needed for a while. Fingers crossed that the paperwork is sorted soon. In the meantime we'll be here if you need us.
Hugs and offers to attempt voodoo on any unhelpful GPs.

porl69

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Stupid people
@Engineer88 what a terrible weekend. Chin up mate, we all go thru it now and again. We are all here to offer help/support
Sending big ((HUGS))

Reactions: therower

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bigotry, reliance on unsupported 'facts', unkindness, unfairness.
Very pleased you’re feeling a little better today @Engineer88 and hope bs are improving! Hugs

Bluey1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People who try and make Diabetes the centre of the party and poor me, I'm special because I have diabetes now everyone run around after me.
Trust it to play up on the weekend. Glad your better now. If you want an interesting weekend we can swap our Diabetes next weekend. I can't predict what will happen - you may have more luck guessing than me. I'm just offering.

Reactions: Juicyj and porl69

manion

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes

I haven't been in hospital due to D in about 15 years and I'm just thinking what's the ****** point. My Gp now wont help (cant - doesn't have a ****** clue) and I cant get a referral to Cambridge in any kind of rush "hopefully by the end of the week you'll get the paperwork" - what bloody use is that?!

Take a deep breath.... dust your self down and back in the fight.... it will get better and when it does you will look back and gain strength from this experience...

Tracie1212

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Really sorry to hear you've had a rough time I went through similar back in June. Its really hard getting back on track plus changed insulin which didn't work out so just started Tresiba. When I was admitted to hospital my blood sugars separated from my Ketones I had loads of saline and after a week of proper background insulin managed to get out of hospital. I've gone back to mdis came off pump. I continue to drink lots of water if my blood sugars on rise. My GP was issuing 1 box of 10 ketone strips my DSN has requested they issue more. 10 is not enough. Glad you are rested take it steady don't over do it.. Took me a while to feel better.

micksmixxx

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump

Hugs to you, brother.

Believe me, mate, I DO know what it's like to have a ****** time. I was admitted to hospital, myself, on Saturday, 27th October due to DKA (Diabetic Ketocidosis).

For some unknown reason, I started vomiting violently on Friday night, and was still doing so when I was admitted on Saturday night. (I must have vomited 40 or 50 times, causing my kidneys to malfunction.)

I'd been taking correction boluses throughout Saturday in a deliberate attempt to get my blood glucose levels back under control. (I AM normally pretty well controlled, even though I'm what was originally termed a 'brittle diabetic' which, at the time, indicated wildly swinging blood glucose levels. These days it is tended to be used as meaning 'out of control' diabetes.) I took another correction bolus, via injection, whilst the ambulance crew were attending to me. Their last blood glucose reading for me was 31.6 mmol/l before we left for the hospital. On arrival at A&E it was checked again, by the nursing staff, and found to have come down a little to 28.8 mmol/l.

The best of it was, the hospital staff had started me on a continuous insulin infusion without telling me. This meant that I had their insulin being infused as well as my own pump's, which was still connected. Within a few hours, my blood glucose level had come down to 16.4 mmol/l. I'd noticed in the meantime that they were giving me an insulin infusion as the damned alarm kept going off, indicating that I'd moved my arm and disturbed the cannula that they'd inserted. (The one in my right arm, that had been inserted by the ambulance crew had already 'failed' at this time, but that's not unusual for me. I have a 'problem' with veins 'collapsing', resulting in fluids being absorbed into the body's tissues, and regularly need to have cannulas resited.) I removed my own pump. The next blood glucose level was back in the 20s, indicating that my insulin requirements had increased somewhat.

Even though the vomiting continued during my stay, I was 'begging' doctors to discharge me on Tuesday ... the reason being, Wednesday, for me, is the 'biggest' day of the year. (It's Samhain, or Hallowe'en for those who don't follow a Pagan religion/spiritual belief system.)

It was still after 6:00 PM when I got the 'OK, green light' to leave as they were awaiting results from blood tests that were carried out on my kidney function, liver function, and potassium levels before telling me that I could go home.

What I will say, sir, is that it isn't always "burnout" as indicated by the heading of your post, but sometimes a 'minor' hiccup, even though it doesn't feel that way at the time. My blood glucose control has returned to what is 'normal' for me, and even though I've vomited several times since getting home, this is not 'out of the ordinary' for me. (I have gastroparesis ... delayed emptying of stomach contents ... which is controlled by the autonomic nervous system ... more specifically, the Vagus nerve ... which makes me vomit several times each week.)

I certainly do hope that you're recovering since your hospital stay, sir, and that you soon feel 'on top of the World'.

Be well, Engineer88.

Lots of Love and Light.

Mick
x x x x
x x x

P.S. Please don't be offended, or alarmed, at the 'x's'. It's merely a logo, of sorts, that I've used for 40-odd years now.

Reactions: CranberryIce

Tonto73

I had a similar scenario a couple of weeks ago when my annoying cold, after an exhausting 2 day trip to Boston MA, developed into Bacterial Sinusitus. 3 AM Saturday visit to Huntingdon “Walk In” Clinic that I can’t just walk in to = A&E. Very nice Dr understood that I could deal with the sugars if the infection was delt with and that I needed painkillers ( face was on fire) and rest. Personally I didn’t fancy bacterial meningitis and knew I couldn’t wait till the GP was available on Monday AM.

In these situations I keep giving a correction bolus, keeping an eye on dose stacking and BG, and dial up the basal, lots of BG checks to see if the changes are having an impact and drink lots of water.

It can take a few days or a couple of weeks to get back to the equilibrium. I’d avoid hospitals at all costs ( I’ve been in the NHS and healthcare industry for 26 years / type 1 for 41 years; my first pump in 1986!). Your DSN is by far the best guide. Once you are “inside” you are no longer in control and no-one no mater how many years they have practiced medicine knows you LIKE YOU.

Can’t believe Mick was on SubCut pumped insulin and IV; That is simply negligent. The clinical goal typically is IV to deal with the DKA and migrate to SubCut to ensure smoother control.

You’ll feel better in no time - you’ll know more about yourself and be better armed to combat crazy BG times in the future. Sadly this time of year is a challenge for many as it’s winter bug time; Make sure you get a flu shot!

The Diabetes team at Addenbrookes are excellent. Just call the DSN line (24 hours a day )and they will help you or get an endocrinologist if your ketones are rocketing and no intervention is impacting.

Keep on - keeping on.

:)

Engineer88

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Well its definitely something as honestly I cant see any point in anything right now.

lizdeluz

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thinking of you, @Engineer8, and sending best wishes. How are things now?