empagliflozin

Jojoswinsells

Hi been using this last two weeks they took me off glimmer pride. I'm also on metfirmin and victosa they wanting me to lose weight on this. I'm trying hard to eat good and I'm walking lots but just wondered how long til anyone lost weight?I know everyone different but I see no difference yet. I have the thirsty and weeing alot systoms with the tablet am drinking lots of water. Thanks

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Edited to remove stupid/dangerous advice. My apologies.

Last edited:
Reactions: Geoffno6

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
I don't know your meds, but if you're relying on tablets to get your weight down, it won't last once it does kick in. The moment you stop taking them it comes right back on, usually with a little extra. LCHF (Low Carb High Fat diet) has a bigger impact on bloodsugars and on weightloss, so maybe give that a shot? It's the only thing that worked for me in any case...

Please remember that a diet lower in carbohydrates is not recommended for people on SGLT2-inhibitors (such as Empagliflozin) due to the heightened risk of DKA.

Reactions: Fenn

Fenn

Type of diabetes
Type 1.5
Treatment type
Insulin
Please remember that a diet lower in carbohydrates is not recommended for people on SGLT2-inhibitors (such as Empagliflozin) due to the heightened risk of DKA.
:wideyed:Really?

Oh dear

I take these and didnt know that:(

I had better research dka i suppose

Last edited:

Fenn

Type of diabetes
Type 1.5
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi been using this last two weeks they took me off glimmer pride. I'm also on metfirmin and victosa they wanting me to lose weight on this. I'm trying hard to eat good and I'm walking lots but just wondered how long til anyone lost weight?I know everyone different but I see no difference yet. I have the thirsty and weeing alot systoms with the tablet am drinking lots of water. Thanks
Hi welcome,

I have been taking these for about 7 months, havent noticed any weight loss, I dont know how high your sugars are but when mine were high teens they made me pee like crazy and urgently, (more than usual high bg peeing) now im between 7 and 15 the peeing has reduced quite a bit, I havent lost any weight though sorry

I know 7-15 is a large window by im trying to get insulin dialled in

Also I dont have a huge amount of weight to lose, maybe if you are heavier it might work more?

Reactions: Jojoswinsells

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
:wideyed:Really?

Oh dear

I take these and didnt know that:(

You should speak to your DN or GP about it and you should test your ketone levels.

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I am speaking of very low carb or Keto diets here, just to be clear. If anyone is concerned they should seek the advice of their care provider.

Fenn

Type of diabetes
Type 1.5
Treatment type
Insulin
I am speaking of very low carb or Keto diets here, just to be clear. If anyone is concerned they should seek the advice of their care provider.
I dont eat low carb enough to be in keytosis anymore (wont mention the naan bread last night) I only eat reduced carbs so thats good news but thanks for the heads up, ive looked up dka and I have most of those symptons normally lol, only time in my life my keytones were checked (and found strangely) was 7 odd years ago on diagnosis, ill try and buy some strips

Sorry to kinda derail your thread OP, but I guess its relevant on your meds

Reactions: Guzzler

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
(Edited the post I made, but my stupidity 's still in the quote. Thanks for jumping in, I really didn't know!)

Reactions: Guzzler

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
(Edited the post I made, but my stupidity 's still in the quote. Thanks for jumping in, I really didn't know!)

No problem, the risks are only recently being highlighted. It is as well to be as aware as one can be before making drastic changes to diet or to meds.

julie56

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Angry people and liver!
No problem, the risks are only recently being highlighted. It is as well to be as aware as one can be before making drastic changes to diet or to meds.
Thank you for this information - I have been on dapagliflozin for over a year now and just recently have reduced my carb intake even further as hba1c had risen to 68. I am seriously worried now and think I might stop taking the dapagliflozin for a while to see if I can do better with a keto diet alongside the 4x metformin.

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Thank you for this information - I have been on dapagliflozin for over a year now and just recently have reduced my carb intake even further as hba1c had risen to 68. I am seriously worried now and think I might stop taking the dapagliflozin for a while to see if I can do better with a keto diet alongside the 4x metformin.

Please speak with your health care providers before stopping your meds. I am not a doctor, nor do I have any training in the field of nutrition. You should discuss it and all changes beforehand.

julie56

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Angry people and liver!
Please speak with your health care providers before stopping your meds. I am not a doctor, nor do I have any training in the field of nutrition. You should discuss it and all changes beforehand.
Thanks @Guzzler I will do exactly that and bring it to my Gp's attention as he was aware of how low carb I was going and seemed happy for me to do so.

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Thanks @Guzzler I will do exactly that and bring it to my Gp's attention as he was aware of how low carb I was going and seemed happy for me to do so.

Here is Dr. Sarah Hallberg in a one and a half minute vid on SGLT2-inhibitors and a ketogenic diet.
There are scholarly articles on the web about this issue.

Reactions: symmit

julie56

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Angry people and liver!
Most helpful @Guzzler - what would we do without this forum!

brianzion_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have been moved to taking empagliflozin for 3 months now alongside metformin and I have been loosing weight about 3 kilo I have lost and blood sugar has been a steady 6 on my test results whereas on gliclizide I was in the 9 to 11 testing gluclose levels I have increased my fitness and exercise and improved my diet all the of these factors my doc says will keep me healthier to treat my type 2 diabetes.

Reactions: Jojoswinsells

Jojoswinsells

I have been moved to taking empagliflozin for 3 months now alongside metformin and I have been loosing weight about 3 kilo I have lost and blood sugar has been a steady 6 on my test results whereas on gliclizide I was in the 9 to 11 testing gluclose levels I have increased my fitness and exercise and improved my diet all the of these factors my doc says will keep me healthier to treat my type 2 diabetes.
That's fantastic well done. I walked for like 3 hours today felt good I know with the food and excersise good things can happen just gotta keep on it

brianzion_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
That's fantastic well done. I walked for like 3 hours today felt good I know with the food and excersise good things can happen just gotta keep on it
I feel much happier and in more control and the increase of having to wee more was hard to adjust to but have got used to it now the nights are better and I sleep right through now without having to wake up to wee... dedication and monitoring yourself and reaching goals I set myself help too

dawnmc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
I was on it, thanks guzzler for that vid, my nurse doesn't know about it, I told her I was on 20g of carbs a day. I was given a keto meter but told the strips were expensive, encouraging or what!! I stopped taking it after I read about it causing more amputees. Read that on 101, also rare maybe but flesh eaten genitalia because it can cause more thrush. Nurse obligingly told me they would give me canasten. Oh the joys!!!