Freestyle libre for type 2

timbro

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I've been on insulin (lantus and novorapid) for nearly 6 years and try to follow a healthy carb counting regime. I had a chance peptide test last year and although low it shows I still produce a small amount of insulin ( not conducive for stable blood glucose at all)
I was therefore wondering if it would be possible to pursued my GP to prescribe freestyle libre sensors?? I have tried them by purchasing them myself and found it to be rather enlightening, however too expensive to keep purchasing.

Any thoughts??

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I don’t take insulin but from reading on here, many type 1s still can’t get them so I’d doubt it somehow, but you can but ask.

Edit to add. Please excuse my rudeness at not welcoming you to the forum, just noticed this is your first post.

D

Deleted Account

You could always try but I would not hold my breath if I was you.
In my CCG, they are only available for a few type 1, the criteria to get them are very rigorous (2 x DKA hospitalisations or 2 x severe hypo requiring assistance) and the criteria to keep them longer than 6 months are not much more relaxed.

Like you, I cannot afford to fund them full time for myself but find the results enlightening.
Therefore, I use it 2 out of every 6 weeks and use it to tweak my insulin (timing and dose) based on trends rather than using it as a finger prick replacement.

Reactions: JohnEGreen

timbro

Type of diabetes
Type 2
You could always try but I would not hold my breath if I was you.
In my CCG, they are only available for a few type 1, the criteria to get them are very rigorous (2 x DKA hospitalisations or 2 x severe hypo requiring assistance) and the criteria to keep them longer than 6 months are not much more relaxed.

Like you, I cannot afford to fund them full time for myself but find the results enlightening.
Therefore, I use it 2 out of every 6 weeks and use it to tweak my insulin (timing and dose) based on trends rather than using it as a finger prick replacement.
When I tried the libre I noticed night hypos that were disturbing my sleep but not enough to wake me a new then a rise in blood glucose before I woke for work. Finger pricks before bed and breakfast both generally ok so assumed my lantus level was ok. I tweaked this down gradually by seeing effect on glucose levels during my sleep. Made a lot of difference to how much less tired I was. Same with holiday control.
Libre does give so much more insight into what affects your glucose levels

Scott-C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Any thoughts??

If you enter your postcode in the linked page below, it'll take you to your area's policy page which'll give you a few clues on the likelihood of getting it (not sure how comprensive the site is but worth try).

https://www.diabetes.org.uk/get_involved/campaigning/flash-glucose-monitoring

Failing that, google the name of the ccg for your area - some of them have posted policy statements and minutes of meetings, but it varies - some post a lot, some post very little.

Very few of them are prescribing for T2 but you being on insulin might sway it.

It will generally be the hospital, not the gp who will make the call on whether to prescribe, but I recall reading recently that in a particular area it was found that if a ccg had a restrictive policy, there was nothing to stop the gp going ahead and prescribing anyway if they thought it met a clinical need, so it would be interesting to see how that develops. Can't remember where I read it.

Edit to add, the paragraphs headed "Ignoring CCG advice in this link has some detail about that last point:
https://www.bmj.com/content/363/bmj.k4675

Last edited:
Reactions: porl69

Angelofthemarches

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Horrible shoes
I'm type 2 non insulin dependent and I self fund (obvs). It is expensive but I keep telling myself the,amazing good it's doing me - 2 1/2 years in and an hba1c of 36, no complications and 20 lbs down. Granted I had to 'listen' to the libre for this to happen.

Fenn

Type of diabetes
Type 1.5
Treatment type
Insulin
If you believe testing bg is a good idea for type 2's and who wouldn't? then you should also believe that the libre must be a good idea, its like testing bg X1000, I think if someone is showing an enthusiasm to control their Diabetes then they should be given one, once well controlled I think it should be self funded if wanted or needed still, for learning what food does to us, its an incredible tool and I would urge everyone to try it, even if just for a short while or intermittently. It is hard for me to stress how valuable this is for me.

Until they can produce it cheaper I don't think its practical to give every type 2 the Libre, especially as most type 2's in my experience don't take much notice of their condition, unless you count cutting down to only one sugar in their tea (present company excepted).

The Libre or equivalent is the future, its so good, its a game changer.

Reactions: Angelofthemarches

Angelofthemarches

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Horrible shoes
I have had a binge eating disorder for 40 years and the libre is the only thing which has helped me keep a handle on my weight and blood sugars. I also wear a fit bit so am now getting a really good handle on how exercise affects me and what kind of exercise seems best. The libre is such a powerful motivator!

Reactions: zand and Fenn

timbro

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Thanks pal, frustrating business this diabetes (of any kind). Just when you think you have it sussed, something upsets the apple cart (that's the problem, too much of my 5 a day).
I will have a look at the links and inwardly digest ( there I go again, that'll send the sugar up).

Reactions: porl69

porl69

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Stupid people
Hi @timbro and welcome to the forum
You could always go and ask your GP BUT I highly doubt you would have any joy. No harm in trying.

Injebreck

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Very unlikely, I'd say. Although it's on the recommended list, the decision lies with the CCG and they'll do anything to cut costs. Many T1s can't get them, in fact, I've just been speaking with someone at the diabetic clinic at the hospital about a CGM and the chances for anyone are low. It's always worth trying, though, just don't hold your breath.