Trulicity Injections

Tony Williams

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
The symptoms have been worse this week, but still nothing I can’t handle. Diarrhoea, sulphur burps, acid reflux, but my sugar levels remain stable around 6-7. I still can’t eat as much as I used to, but I’m not losing much weight. Maybe the fact that I am still on insulin isn’t helping? Anyone else using Trulicity with Metformin and Insulin?

Yes. I’ve been on Trulicity for 4 weeks. Absolutely no side affects at all. I never feel hungry. My appetite had disappeared. I can only eat tiny meals now as I get full very quickly. My insulin usage has dropped from 60u a day to 40u a day. I’ve lost 10lbs in 4 weeks. Great so far!!!

Cameron2337

About to have my 4th weekly Trulicity injection. Thankfully no side effects although didn’t expect to see any given I have previously been prescribed Byetta. I must admit to not being as hungry as I was prior to stating this course of medication . I also haven’t been as diligent with my food choices but back on the straight and narrow and am starting to see better Blood glucose testing results . Will be interesting to see how the next week transpires as I am determined to stick to proper meals and would expect improved blood glucose readings.
I am only testing my bgl’s once a day now compared to pre breakfast, lunch and dinner and the ability to only inject once a week is definitely a bonus.
Hope this insight helps others about to commence using this medication

Regards

Cameron

loubielou

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi Loubie Lou!
The side effects have all gone, but sadly so has my reduced appetite! . I am on holiday at the moment, struggling (and failing) to keep to a sensible intake. I have no scales here, but I know my weight has increased by quite a bit. I’d like the nausea back to be honest! My sugar levels are still good compared to what they would normally be. I need to take myself in hand as I have my first blood test and review when I get back, since starting Trulicity. How about you?
Sorry Sal, for some strange reason, I hadn't seen your reply. All good here, although I am noticing that I don't feel so full all the time, I'm managing it and keeping food intake in check. BS levels seem good. Going for a review next week so will keep you posted.

jpscloud

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi all, I'm on Metformin SR 2000mg/day, Januvia daily and a weekly trulicity injection. I had been unable to control my diet (I suffer from binge eating disorder) before I started trulicity and I was so overweight and unwell that the side effects didn't bother me at all. After a lifetime of overeating (I'm in my mid-fifties) things literally changed overnight. I felt no hunger, felt full after a normal sized portion of food - completely unheard of for me, and my sugars dropped from 10+ to 5-7.

I started the injections in April this year, and have now lost just over a stone, mostly due to reduced appetite but also because after the first couple of months I had more energy and can be more active. I used to loaf about in a kind of exhausted stupor and couldn't get around to even small jobs around the house.

I still have very slight side effects after the weekly injection, but my health overall is so much better it really doesn't bother me at all. My appetite has returned but not as abnormally as before. I am really worried that the appetite reduction effects will wear off entirely eventually, but hopeful that I can continue to be more active.

Has anyone else struggled with overeating/binge eating disorder and been on trulicity for more than a year? I'd love to hear how it is going.

loubielou

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi all, I'm on Metformin SR 2000mg/day, Januvia daily and a weekly trulicity injection. I had been unable to control my diet (I suffer from binge eating disorder) before I started trulicity and I was so overweight and unwell that the side effects didn't bother me at all. After a lifetime of overeating (I'm in my mid-fifties) things literally changed overnight. I felt no hunger, felt full after a normal sized portion of food - completely unheard of for me, and my sugars dropped from 10+ to 5-7.

I started the injections in April this year, and have now lost just over a stone, mostly due to reduced appetite but also because after the first couple of months I had more energy and can be more active. I used to loaf about in a kind of exhausted stupor and couldn't get around to even small jobs around the house.

I still have very slight side effects after the weekly injection, but my health overall is so much better it really doesn't bother me at all. My appetite has returned but not as abnormally as before. I am really worried that the appetite reduction effects will wear off entirely eventually, but hopeful that I can continue to be more active.

Has anyone else struggled with overeating/binge eating disorder and been on trulicity for more than a year? I'd love to hear how it is going.
I've been on it for about 4mths now and like you, seeing some great improvements. I haven't suffered from binge eating disorder, but hopefully, the habits that you are building now will support you if the effects start to wear off. I thought I had got passed the 'just eaten a 3 course meal' feelings, but they have returned this last couple of weeks. I embrace it now as I know its going to help with the weightless.
Keep in touch and let us know how you are going along

jpscloud

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks loubielou, I'll try to keep posting this time. I tend to stop posting and withdraw (from life generally, not just the forum!) when things are not going well healthwise, but I am hopeful that trulicity is the game-changer for me. Really interested to hear other people's experiences, too.

I know what you mean about embracing that full feeling! It's like a best friend to me now. My DN told me about someone who had to stop taking trulicity because they couldn't eat at all - it seems to vary quite a bit from person to person.

loubielou

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks loubielou, I'll try to keep posting this time. I tend to stop posting and withdraw (from life generally, not just the forum!) when things are not going well healthwise, but I am hopeful that trulicity is the game-changer for me. Really interested to hear other people's experiences, too.

I know what you mean about embracing that full feeling! It's like a best friend to me now. My DN told me about someone who had to stop taking trulicity because they couldn't eat at all - it seems to vary quite a bit from person to person.
In the very early days, I was eating very little. I was finding it very difficult as I like to run a few times a week and was in training for a race. Managed to let my BS levels go a bit too low. I did wonder if it was worth it, but it made me stop and think about what and when I was eating, what I was trying to achieve and since then all has been well. I have some emergency procedures in place incase I go off running and experience the same again and make sure people know about them. Keep going and we'll be here to support each other.

Roseanne01

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
'isms'. Not being able to eat potatoes.
victoza is a non insulin drug I believe so am asking can this be given to some one after they have been on Insulin or not ?

I’m on insulin and had my first trulicity injection yesterday. Insulin to gradually reduce over four weeks. Felt ill and stomach ache in middle of the night but not bad. No appetite. Hope it works because I’ve put on so much weight on insulin and trulicity is supposed to be better for cardiovascular, kidneys, liver, the whole shebang. I have cardiomyopathy and kidney disease. And a pacemaker which just got it’s variable rate function switched on. Heart rate been stuck at 60 for twelve months.

loubielou

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I’m on insulin and had my first trulicity injection yesterday. Insulin to gradually reduce over four weeks. Felt ill and stomach ache in middle of the night but not bad. No appetite. Hope it works because I’ve put on so much weight on insulin and trulicity is supposed to be better for cardiovascular, kidneys, liver, the whole shebang. I have cardiomyopathy and kidney disease. And a pacemaker which just got it’s variable rate function switched on. Heart rate been stuck at 60 for twelve months.
Really hope it workout for you Roseanne001. I've stopped using Trulicity for the moment, I was struggling with the side effects. Lets us how you get on. x

Reactions: Roseanne01

Sal from chi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Pump
I wish my lack of appetite would come back! I’ve been on Trulicity for 3 months now and haven’t really been bothered by any side effects, but the drop in sugar levels was almost instant. I struggled to lose half a stone, but I think most of that has gone back on again sadly. It’s not been helped by the fact that I have had pneumonia and painful shin splints, brought on by overtraining. That has meant being out of action for 2 of the 3 months, but my insulin has gone from 48 units to 26.

jpscloud

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Roseanne, just wondering how you're getting on? I'm still losing weight (very slowly) 7 months from starting trulicity and still have good sugar levels.

jpscloud

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi Sal, sorry you're going through those issues. Pneumonia is awful, I've had it twice in my lifetime. My sugars have stayed great for 7 months on trulicity apart from last week when I hit a blood vessel with the injection on my thigh, and I think the dose bled out. Back to the previous levels this week thank goodness.

Sal from chi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Pump
Cheers! I’ve also just been diagnosed with carpal tunnel this morning too. I’m wondering what else they can throw at me!! It’s no fun getting old, but as everyone says, it’s better than the alternative.

jpscloud

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Oh right with you there! Since turning 50 I've had thing after thing! I currently have nerve pains in my left arm with the tip of my thumb going numb. Could be another ganglion to add to my collection so I think I'll try a brace before yet another trip to the Dr. But so much better all round since starting the new medication, not moaning too much - still happy to be alive as you say!

Roseanne01

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Roseanne, just wondering how you're getting on? I'm still losing weight (very slowly) 7 months from starting trulicity and still have good sugar levels.

Only Day 4. Felt a lot better yesterday and slept really well last night. Have mild tummy ache, nausea and heartburn today. Thinking I might have caused it by letting myself get dehydrated. I have kidney disease so very possible. Still feel positive. Today is 12 months since I got my pacemaker (crtd). And they turned rate response on this week so I have some energy. I’m alive which is very positive. I almost felt normal yesterday.

jpscloud

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Good to hear Roseanne - I hope you have good results with trulicity. Will be interested to see how you get on as you stop the insulin. Will you keep us posted?

Roseanne01

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
OK should be week five of trulicity starting tomorrow. Told Endocrnoligist (emsil discussion) it hasn’t reduced my need for insulin and I’ve got a constant (but bearable) head pressure feeling, like with the flu. It has flattened out my blood sugars to between 7.5mmol and 10.5 mol. Has told me to discontinue and go back to previous regime, But it’s stopped me feeling hungry all the time. I feel like not listening. And I’m wondering if he really read what I wrote.

BarbaraG

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Those of you who have had unwanted side effects with this, how soon after the first injection do they kick in? I have just been prescribed this, planning to leave it till after Christmas, but want to choose the optimum time for minimal disruption

Roseanne01

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Those of you who have had unwanted side effects with this, how soon after the first injection do they kick in? I have just been prescribed this, planning to leave it till after Christmas, but want to choose the optimum time for minimal disruption
Hey Barbara, for me almost immediately, probably two hours after injection. But I just got nausea, no vomiting or diarrhoea. I’ve stacked on weight after being in insulin this year but I also have cardiomyopathy and a new pacemaker. It was set to low heart rate to let my heart recover and I’ve been like a sloth. I was desperate for a solution to tge weight. I’m still on 12 units basal insulin and 24 units bolus. I haven’t got back into exercise yet as I’ve had a tough couple of months losing my only suster to cancer. I didn’t get a choice of when to start, had first injection but n my endocrinologists office. I have tge option to go off it but I’m going to stick with it a bit longer. Symptoms now are mnmal.

Mijas_pueblo_

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
About to have my 4th weekly Trulicity injection. Thankfully no side effects although didn’t expect to see any given I have previously been prescribed Byetta. I must admit to not being as hungry as I was prior to stating this course of medication . I also haven’t been as diligent with my food choices but back on the straight and narrow and am starting to see better Blood glucose testing results . Will be interesting to see how the next week transpires as I am determined to stick to proper meals and would expect improved blood glucose readings.
I am only testing my bgl’s once a day now compared to pre breakfast, lunch and dinner and the ability to only inject once a week is definitely a bonus.
Hope this insight helps others about to commence using this medication

Regards

Cameron
Hi Cameron.

Feeling scared. Taking first dose of Trulicity today.
Feel I have been used as a guinea pig by my Dr with all the medications since July. Of which none brought my levels down.

Also been prescribed Motilim to take before food .

Keeping fingers crossed that Trulicity will give me my life back. .