Type 2 Sharps Box Disposal

Libby3781

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
There’s no charge firstly, and I think that’s because the referral came from one of the hospital’s in my area. Not the hospital most local to me, the hospital which did the referral is about 30 minutes away from my house.

If I was you, I certainly try and see if your surgery or hospital can give you a referral form to complete. That should then ensure you aren’t charged. When I first contacted the company it was between 48 - 72 hours before I had a response. I dealt with them via email, as I prefer that to the telephone.

The service is as and when required. I just have to contact them to advise I need my sharps collected. When they collected my first sharp boxes, there was a travel size box, and a 5 litre size box.

They took them both away, and left me with a 7 litre box. I have posted photos for you to see.

I have also posted a photo of what I am currently using, as I’m not yet using the 7 litre one.
Using my sharp box that I get via a prescription 1 litre.

Attachments

• 753409E6-BFE3-4355-BF88-6069AB6E861B.jpeg
    753409E6-BFE3-4355-BF88-6069AB6E861B.jpeg
    415.5 KB · Views: 273
  • 921EF8EE-07E7-4020-A7AE-5C12D87175D6.jpeg
    921EF8EE-07E7-4020-A7AE-5C12D87175D6.jpeg
    852.4 KB · Views: 273
  • 7F5D4859-2197-474E-B426-F52B08C7C989.jpeg
    7F5D4859-2197-474E-B426-F52B08C7C989.jpeg
    499.3 KB · Views: 264

Sirzy

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Insulin
There’s no charge firstly, and I think that’s because the referral came from one of the hospital’s in my area. Not the hospital most local to me, the hospital which did the referral is about 30 minutes away from my house.

If I was you, I certainly try and see if your surgery or hospital can give you a referral form to complete. That should then ensure you aren’t charged. When I first contacted the company it was between 48 - 72 hours before I had a response. I dealt with them via email, as I prefer that to the telephone.

The service is as and when required. I just have to contact them to advise I need my sharps collected. When they collected my first sharp boxes, there was a travel size box, and a 5 litre size box.

They took them both away, and left me with a 7 litre box. I have posted photos for you to see.

I have also posted a photo of what I am currently using, as I’m not yet using the 7 litre one.
Using my sharp box that I get via a prescription 1 litre.

That’s really helpful, thanks Libby.

Libby3781

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Why would you need a sharps box if you’re not on insulin?

Prior to going on insulin I needed a sharps box to accompany my blood glucose testing kit. I purchased one online, as at that point in time I was unable to have them on prescription.

Now, I have my sharps box on prescription but still buy the travel size ones.
Purely, because the travel ones are small and compact for out and about and travel.

Attachments

• 0CCBA0B4-79F3-4B53-9E4F-D1346C486257.jpeg
    0CCBA0B4-79F3-4B53-9E4F-D1346C486257.jpeg
    247.8 KB · Views: 266

TifferG

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I phone my local council who arrange collection and drop of a new box
It's similar here, Libby doesn't say what area of the country she's in, my comments apply to NW London. My council, Harrow, have a specific area on their website in the household waste section. Your council may publish similar information online.

The company I have to call is called Essentia Environmental Services 020 7188 9399, if that's any help.

Reactions: porl69

Libby3781

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I’m in South Wales, I’ve had to register with a company that collect sharp boxes from the hospital. I’ve posted photos of what was collected, and what they left as a replacement.

They now come and collect my boxes as and when required.
Whereas, 30 mins West of where I live the procedure is different again.

My mum takes her sharp boxes to her surgery, and they dispose of them and give her a replacement.

Attachments

• 0740CA6E-7A12-469B-B7C9-C82255FB66A8.jpeg
    0740CA6E-7A12-469B-B7C9-C82255FB66A8.jpeg
    415.5 KB · Views: 269
  • 73A962CD-D423-44C5-808E-8A328114C6F1.jpeg
    73A962CD-D423-44C5-808E-8A328114C6F1.jpeg
    499.3 KB · Views: 260

KenBachelor

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cheese
I order a new one on my prescription when I need it and when I collect the prescription from the pharmacy, I hand the full one to them.

Reactions: Libby3781

Lowcarb 2

Type of diabetes
Type 1.5
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I’m curious how members dispose of sharp boxes used at home?

I have had to register with the company that dispose of the local hospital sharp boxes. Arrange a collection, and a new delivery of a another box. The company are collecting the boxes on Monday for the first time.

My mother on the other hand, is able to take her sharp boxes to her surgery and they dispose of them.
check with your local council as mine retrieve and supply boxes for nothing and I do not have to be in when they do

Ledzeptt

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Liquorice and aniseed (especially the tracer I have to drink in hospital before a CT scan - yuk!)
My registered GP and pharmacy both stopped accepting sharps boxes about a year ago (disposal costs are too expensive apparently). My council refuses to collect them, but I can take them to the local tip although this isn’t very convenient.

Bizarrely, I discovered that another local GP (where I’m not registered) would accept my sharps, so long as I signed each box. Therefore, I’ve been taking them there as it’s easy to get to. I’ve no idea why the signature is so important.

Chronicle_Cat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Why would you need a sharps box if you’re not on insulin?

I have a sharps box for my used lancets. Although I don't take insulin or medication, I still test to ensure I have good control (many dIet only Type 2 do). Since I don't change my lancets every time I test so it will take a long time to fill it up.

I got mine from my local pharmacy and they will exchange it for a new one when full. (I'm in Canada). They also told me I could put used test strips in it (medical waste) so I do.

Libby3781

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I have a sharps box for my used lancets. Although I don't take insulin or medication, I still test to ensure I have good control (many dIet only Type 2 do). Since I don't change my lancets every time I test so it will take a long time to fill it up.

I got mine from my local pharmacy and they will exchange it for a new one when full. (I'm in Canada). They also told me I could put used test strips in it (medical waste) so I do.

Makes sense now, best and safest way to dispose of medical waste.

I use my sharp boxes for my test strips, lancets and needles,

I personally wouldn’t feel comfortable putting test strips, and lancets in with general household waste. I’ve been on insulin since June 2018, and due to the rate I’m testing and injecting my sharp boxes are filling rather quickly as you imagine.

Reactions: Chronicle_Cat

WJP1055

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Sugar, being overweight
Can anybody recommend a company that will pick up a sharps box from me? My hospital, GP surgery, local pharmacies and council all refuse to take sharps, so I’m a bit stuck about what to do with them.
SRCL telephone number is 03332404400. It's straight forward. Phone them and arrange a pickup of the full box and they leave you an empty one.

DomPirate

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Insulin
My council is now responsible for collecting them.
I used to drop off at chemist till they stopped, at the surgery till they started refusing them as they got so many. After much research, hidden away in the sorting your rubbish website page for our City Council I found a link to a downloadable letter/form for the Dr to sign authorising Clinical Waste collection from my house.
In mine go Strips, Needles, Lancets and my very small blood swabs for cleaning up afterwards. (2 by 2cm cut from kitchen roll/towel).