1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Type 2 Sharps Box Disposal

Discussion in 'Ask A Question' started by Libby3781, Nov 3, 2018.

1. Libby3781

Libby3781 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

There’s no charge firstly, and I think that’s because the referral came from one of the hospital’s in my area. Not the hospital most local to me, the hospital which did the referral is about 30 minutes away from my house.

If I was you, I certainly try and see if your surgery or hospital can give you a referral form to complete. That should then ensure you aren’t charged. When I first contacted the company it was between 48 - 72 hours before I had a response. I dealt with them via email, as I prefer that to the telephone.

The service is as and when required. I just have to contact them to advise I need my sharps collected. When they collected my first sharp boxes, there was a travel size box, and a 5 litre size box.

They took them both away, and left me with a 7 litre box. I have posted photos for you to see.

I have also posted a photo of what I am currently using, as I’m not yet using the 7 litre one.
    Using my sharp box that I get via a prescription 1 litre.

Attached Files:

2. Sirzy

Sirzy Other · Well-Known Member

That’s really helpful, thanks Libby.

3. Pinkorchid

Pinkorchid Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Is it only T1's and T2's on insulin who get sharps boxes

4. Libby3781

Why would you need a sharps box if you’re not on insulin?

Prior to going on insulin I needed a sharps box to accompany my blood glucose testing kit. I purchased one online, as at that point in time I was unable to have them on prescription.

Now, I have my sharps box on prescription but still buy the travel size ones.
    Purely, because the travel ones are small and compact for out and about and travel.

Attached Files:

5. TifferG

TifferG Type 1 · Member

It's similar here, Libby doesn't say what area of the country she's in, my comments apply to NW London. My council, Harrow, have a specific area on their website in the household waste section. Your council may publish similar information online.

The company I have to call is called Essentia Environmental Services 020 7188 9399, if that's any help.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Libby3781

I’m in South Wales, I’ve had to register with a company that collect sharp boxes from the hospital. I’ve posted photos of what was collected, and what they left as a replacement.

They now come and collect my boxes as and when required.
    Whereas, 30 mins West of where I live the procedure is different again.

My mum takes her sharp boxes to her surgery, and they dispose of them and give her a replacement.

Attached Files:

7. Tam43

Tam43 Type 1 · Newbie

• Like Like x 2
  8. KenBachelor

KenBachelor Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I order a new one on my prescription when I need it and when I collect the prescription from the pharmacy, I hand the full one to them.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Derbysocks

Derbysocks Type 2 · Active Member

Local council supplies and collects mine

10. Lowcarb 2

Lowcarb 2 Type 1.5 · Well-Known Member

check with your local council as mine retrieve and supply boxes for nothing and I do not have to be in when they do

11. Ledzeptt

Ledzeptt Type 3c · Well-Known Member

My registered GP and pharmacy both stopped accepting sharps boxes about a year ago (disposal costs are too expensive apparently). My council refuses to collect them, but I can take them to the local tip although this isn’t very convenient.

Bizarrely, I discovered that another local GP (where I’m not registered) would accept my sharps, so long as I signed each box. Therefore, I’ve been taking them there as it’s easy to get to. I’ve no idea why the signature is so important.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Chronicle_Cat

Chronicle_Cat Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I have a sharps box for my used lancets. Although I don't take insulin or medication, I still test to ensure I have good control (many dIet only Type 2 do). Since I don't change my lancets every time I test so it will take a long time to fill it up.

I got mine from my local pharmacy and they will exchange it for a new one when full. (I'm in Canada). They also told me I could put used test strips in it (medical waste) so I do.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Libby3781

Makes sense now, best and safest way to dispose of medical waste.

I use my sharp boxes for my test strips, lancets and needles,

I personally wouldn’t feel comfortable putting test strips, and lancets in with general household waste. I’ve been on insulin since June 2018, and due to the rate I’m testing and injecting my sharp boxes are filling rather quickly as you imagine.

• Like Like x 1
  14. WJP1055

WJP1055 Type 1 · Active Member

SRCL telephone number is 03332404400. It's straight forward. Phone them and arrange a pickup of the full box and they leave you an empty one.

15. DomPirate

DomPirate Type 2 · Active Member

My council is now responsible for collecting them.
    I used to drop off at chemist till they stopped, at the surgery till they started refusing them as they got so many. After much research, hidden away in the sorting your rubbish website page for our City Council I found a link to a downloadable letter/form for the Dr to sign authorising Clinical Waste collection from my house.
    In mine go Strips, Needles, Lancets and my very small blood swabs for cleaning up afterwards. (2 by 2cm cut from kitchen roll/towel).

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook