Happy day, been accepted for libre

Muneeb

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Just like to say thanks to everyone here for all the information provided for myself and others, such a wealth of information available here that I could use to equip myself.

Had an appointment with the DSN this morning.
I have managed to have my insulin changed to fiasp, pending consultant agreement, cant see it being an issue (previously on novorapid)
I have also met the criteria to be offered a freestyle libre, only downside is demand is high and I have to attend a meeting which isn't until January 2019. But a big step forward!

Can't wait to gather data and improve BGL further.

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hello @Muneeb That's great news, it's good when you get acknowledged and supported, well done :)

TuviaDror

Just like to say thanks to everyone here for all the information provided for myself and others, such a wealth of information available here that I could use to equip myself.

I have managed to have my insulin changed to fiasp, pending consultant agreement, cant see it being an issue (previously on novorapid)
I have also met the criteria to be offered a freestyle libre, only downside is demand is high and I have to attend a meeting which isn't until January 2019. But a big step forward!

Hi. Just pls be very careful with trusting the BG readings. I just put a post on the freestyle libre yesterday.

Reactions: porl69

Muneeb

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. Just pls be very careful with trusting the BG readings. I just put a post on the freestyle libre yesterday.
I want to use it more for trends, see what happens overnight, during exercise, post particular meals. Although I know people have used apps such as xdrip to calibrate the sensors, maybe check that out? In general the libre measures the fluid under the skin rather than the blood so there will generally be a delay in levels recorded. Obviously still use a monitor for corrections.

Reactions: mike@work
D

Deleted Account

Congratulations @Muneeb .
I am sure it is frustrating to have to wait until January. However, in general, I am please Libre are not just being handed out without any instructions on how to use them.
Sounds like you already have the message about using it for trends, the delay in the reading, not using it for dosing, etc. but it is scary how many people do not and think it is a finger prick replacement which is such a waste.
I compare it to using a smart phone to just make phone calls and play snake!

Just out of curiosity (and you don't have to tell us), which criteria boxes did you tick to get approval?

Muneeb

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Congratulations @Muneeb .
I am sure it is frustrating to have to wait until January. However, in general, I am please Libre are not just being handed out without any instructions on how to use them.
Sounds like you already have the message about using it for trends, the delay in the reading, not using it for dosing, etc. but it is scary how many people do not and think it is a finger prick replacement which is such a waste.
I compare it to using a smart phone to just make phone calls and play snake!

Just out of curiosity (and you don't have to tell us), which criteria boxes did you tick to get approval?

Exactly, knowledge is power...
The DSN actually mentioned the libre to me and I asked if it was available, he told me it was pending criteria fulfillment. So he uploaded my glucose levels to the database and had a look. The main reasons were I test quite a lot, typically 10x a day (or have been recently due to increased fitness), and secondly I was having some hypos mainly post workout despite drinking sport drinks. In general I am hypo aware but after exercise or during I don't seem to realize how low my levels are and I've checked them after a workout and its been in the low 2's.

The DSN said I fulfill at least one of the criteria but maybe more, but didn't provide more details.

Scott-C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Exactly, knowledge is power...

Congrats, Muneeb!

If you've not read them already, there's a couple of books on kindle about cgm which I found really useful when I first got libre:

Sugar Surfing, by Stephen Ponder

Beyond Fingersticks, by William Lee Dubois

The second one is about 8 years old which is like pre-history in cgm terms, so some of it is a bit dated now, but it's still got a lot of useful stuff about the difference in general approach between just getting a glance with strips and getting to see the whole moving picture with a graph.

Keith_Simpson

Type of diabetes
Type 2

Just a word of caution. Having tried freestyle libre, I have to say that I prefer the accuracy of a Contour XT. Continuous monitoring provides useful information on trend but I found the sensors typically under reading compared to my Contour XT & even Abbott recommended comparing if in doubt rather than trusting.

emmay

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi muneeb

Congratulations on both getting the libre and moving to Fiasp. I am still hoping to get prescribed my libre and am having to self fund but it has changed how I manage my diabetes dramatically. My only tip would be don’t get too caught up in the info it gives you, as I got a bit carried away and was then injecting too much!!!
The other huge thing was me moving to Fiasp almost a year ago this has made the biggest difference, I can now inject and eat straight away whereas before I was having to wait between 20-30mins. It also works a lot faster if you have a high reading so you can be in target more.

Congrats

Muneeb

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi muneeb

Congratulations on both getting the libre and moving to Fiasp. I am still hoping to get prescribed my libre and am having to self fund but it has changed how I manage my diabetes dramatically. My only tip would be don’t get too caught up in the info it gives you, as I got a bit carried away and was then injecting too much!!!
The other huge thing was me moving to Fiasp almost a year ago this has made the biggest difference, I can now inject and eat straight away whereas before I was having to wait between 20-30mins. It also works a lot faster if you have a high reading so you can be in target more.

Congrats

Thanks. I have requested FIASP insulin hope that helps, should be prescribed this week all being well.
Novorapid takes a long time to act for me as well.

mike@work

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

Great! :)