diabetes and vertigo

Skippy1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
I've recently been attending some meeting at the local sports centre. Both the main hall and a side room are painted green and have fluorescent lighting. After I've been there about 10 minutes, I feel dizzy and nauseous. I've checked my bgl and it's been low 5s. This has happened 3 times - any suggestions on how to make the last few meetings manageable?

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
Mild vertigo can be caused by sight disturbances. Only thing I can suggest is sun glasses (if it is the colours/light that is causing your symptoms). Otherwise it is a trip to the GP to see if you have an inner ear infection which can also cause mild vertigo and sometimes not so mild!

Reactions: Skippy1

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
All sorts of things can cause vertigo. One significant reason is postural - even looking upwards. I had a phase of it and noticed it more when looking up to the tops of trees or to the sky. Something to do with the nerves in the neck. I doubt it is diabetes related.

Reactions: Skippy1

rmz80

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Are you also taking tablets for high blood pressure? All types cause this, especially on standing.

Skippy1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Are you also taking tablets for high blood pressure? All types cause this, especially on standing.[/
I am, but have been for many years - strange that it's only happened recently and each time in a room with fluorescent lights and green walls. Appointment made for next week.

endocrinegremlin

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People telling me how to control my diabetes. My health. Isms. People walking their dogs off leads in illegal areas. Meat that bleeds. Late buses.
It sounds like it is not your diabetes at play here. More likely it might be something that is having an impact on your diabetes. It could be light sensitivity in general, hypothyroidism, migraines ect. A GP would be my first port of call.

NewTD2

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
When my blood glucose level is low and blood pressure is low I suffer from vertigo.