Low Carb Question

Alineden

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Not much really
Hi. I've been eating low carb for a while now. My HbA1c has come down from 84 to 52 and my weight has dropped by 20lb.

Lately I am really feeling the cold, especially my hands.

Is it possible that I am not taking in enough calories and my metabolism is slowing down causing a reduction in the production of body heat?

I don't mind the feeling cold but I am conscious that my weight loss could be hindered if I'm reducing my calorific intake too much, as I would like to lose another 28lb.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I feel the cold much more than I did before my low carb life began too. Whether it’s the low carb eating or the loss of weight I guess I’ll never know, as I’m not planning on quitting low carb anytime soon!
Still every cloud, bed Sox and a new fleece blanket have appeared on my Xmas pressie list!

Reactions: hankjam

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi,

:) I guess that all depends on how much you are eating, and whether it is so little that it may cause a drop in your metabolic rate.
I must admit that the only time I have felt cold while dieting was when I was trying to go low calorie while still eating carbs. That made me feel pretty miserable. I have not found the same experience on a low carb higher fat way of eating - but that is just my experience, and won't necessarily apply to you, because I don't know how low carb your current way of eating is. There is quite a lot of variation between low and very low, and we all seem to interpret it differently.

Something else to bear in mind is that when we trim up a bit, we have less 'insulation' and that can lead to feeling chilly and needing extra layers to replace the... er... padding... that used to keep us warm.

Well done for the weight loss and improved HbA1c though. That is a great achievement. :D

Engineer88

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
First symptom I normally get that my thyroid is out of whack.....

Alineden

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Not much really
I feel the cold much more than I did before my low carb life began too. Whether it’s the low carb eating or the loss of weight I guess I’ll never know, as I’m not planning on quitting low carb anytime soon!
Still every cloud, bed Sox and a new fleece blanket have appeared on my Xmas pressie list!
Hi Rachox. It could be a bit of both. I've definitely gone from being a warm person to being a bit of a wimp in the cold ha ha.

Alineden

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Not much really
Hi,

:) I guess that all depends on how much you are eating, and whether it is so little that it may cause a drop in your metabolic rate.
I must admit that the only time I have felt cold while dieting was when I was trying to go low calorie while still eating carbs. That made me feel pretty miserable. I have not found the same experience on a low carb higher fat way of eating - but that is just my experience, and won't necessarily apply to you, because I don't know how low carb your current way of eating is. There is quite a lot of variation between low and very low, and we all seem to interpret it differently.

Something else to bear in mind is that when we trim up a bit, we have less 'insulation' and that can lead to feeling chilly and needing extra layers to replace the... er... padding... that used to keep us warm.

Well done for the weight loss and improved HbA1c though. That is a great achievement. :D
Hi Brunneria. I'm eating as low carb as possible which is very low except the odd mistake I sometimes make.

I'm also trying to only eat between 12 noon and 6PM but I'm only successful with this about 50% of the time due to not always being able to access meals during that window.

I am consciously eating more fat to replace the carbs I've cut out but maybe I need to eat more fat than I am.

Alineden

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Not much really
First symptom I normally get that my thyroid is out of whack.....
Hi Engineer88. I'm assuming, possibly wrongly, that my thyroid is ok as it was my annual blood test that revealed the diabetes and I'm guessing a thyroid issue would have also been revealed.

Smallbrit

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I wasn't low carbing to lose any weight, although I lost a tiny (like a few lbs) bit of weight. But apparently I lost it entirely from my fingers and toes as my feet and hands are constantly cold now AND my wedding ring has fallen off so many times in the past few months that I'm not wearing them again until it warms up.

My personal solution? A nice, warm tropical isle would solve it all. But until then.... thermal socks and handwarmers.

Reactions: Brunneria

Ann1982

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. I've been eating low carb for a while now. My HbA1c has come down from 84 to 52 and my weight has dropped by 20lb.

Lately I am really feeling the cold, especially my hands.

Is it possible that I am not taking in enough calories and my metabolism is slowing down causing a reduction in the production of body heat?

I don't mind the feeling cold but I am conscious that my weight loss could be hindered if I'm reducing my calorific intake too much, as I would like to lose another 28lb.
I feel the cold ever since I was diagnosed 27 years ago. I just wrap up well and never go out without gloves.

Engineer88

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi Engineer88. I'm assuming, possibly wrongly, that my thyroid is ok as it was my annual blood test that revealed the diabetes and I'm guessing a thyroid issue would have also been revealed.

I doubt it as the 'range' used to say thyroid is ok is far too large and you can get symptoms of low or high at either end.

Highly personal, bit like diabetes.

Alineden

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Not much really
I doubt it as the 'range' used to say thyroid is ok is far too large and you can get symptoms of low or high at either end.

Highly personal, bit like diabetes.
Ah I see

Alineden

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Not much really
I feel the cold ever since I was diagnosed 27 years ago. I just wrap up well and never go out without gloves.
Hi Ann. Gloves are quickly becoming my best friend.

Emma_369

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I’m constantly cold now. I put it more down to the weight loss from low carbing rather than the actual low carbing itself

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I’m constantly cold now. I put it more down to the weight loss from low carbing rather than the actual low carbing itself
I agree, but also my being old and the fact that it's winter don't help.

Reactions: Emma_369

SlimLizzy

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
football, both the game and the culture.
Have always felt the cold. Only recently realised that getting hot after a meal reveals a blood sugar spike...

Reactions: Brunneria