can type 1 diabetes be controlled with diet?

Status
Not open for further replies.

yetta2mymom

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
?
Hi

I feel you are thinking of a keytone meter...?
Keytones are present when BGs go dangerously high.. Ketoacitosis. Not to be confused with ketones from fasting or a keto style diet with a normal safe BG level..

We use our BG meters (& or CGMs.) to detect ot preempt any blood sugar issues accordingly, correcting with the only medication to do the job. Exogenous "insulin" if we go too high. Basically, & on the whole. Anything we swallow (baring water, off the top of my head.) will have either a nominal immediate effect or big impact on BGs, or possibly latter on. Depending on the complexity of the carbs & the amount, or fats slowing the digestive process ultimately converting to blood sugar to power the body.. Which is why the correct insulin to carb ratio is imperative. Along with the timing of dose to compliment the carbs. Certain insulins have a certain working profile..

Unless our BG goes lower than healthy perameters. Then we use carbs..

Hey I'm just a "layman."

All I know is my beta cells took a beating during an autoimmune episode 42 years ago.
& personally, I feel yer barking up the wrong tree? Sorry. :)

Hope this helps!
I live on only protein and a little vegetables I know of people with reactive hypoglycemia who must keep their blood sugar low or they have an insulin reaction and we have problems. So it is possible (maybe not social) to eat such that you never need insulin for making sugar to become fat. I have seen people who just don't believe anyone can eat like I or other people with reactive hypoglycemia do to prevent low blood sugar. I know of support groups which just teach what to do when you have low blood sugar so only a small group of people have the (will?) to eat this way. My type of reactive hypoglycemia is not helped by the support groups since we do not get very low sugar unless we eat a lot of sugar/starch/alcohol we get debilitating fatigue instead. I figured out I can live on only protein (has some fat inevitably) and low carb vegetables, so I do. I can eat a lot if I keep my fats low. My treats are baby carrots and pure (baking 100%) chocolate. I do this so my brain is very clear and the (genius?) part of my makeup can thrive. My genius is my subconscious. I come up with wild ideas which often fizzle in the light of day but when they don't it is amazing. .

yetta2mymom

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
?
I do not understand why anyone would want to simulate 'severe Type 2 Diabetes'. Isn't it wiser to try to ameliorate the effects of Type 2 Diabetes by changing one's lifestyle/medications etc?

If you are convinced that you have the 'hunter gatherer gene' then why not try to emulate a hunter gatherer type diet, one that is rich in sat fat and protein while low in carbohydrates.
Hi
I have the gene but I don't want to be fat. If I eat the amount of food a "normal" person does I get fat. I use much less energy in processing sugar then "normal" people do. A lot of Indians have my gene since I can survive famines much longer than you unfortunates. The women with my gene pay since they become diabetic in pregnancy and lose more babies (and sometimes themselves) then you "normal's". I explain that we use the same (very similar?) hormones as does the placenta to protect the fetus/baby and if the women stopped the hormones making us insulin resistant the baby/fetus would die.

yetta2mymom

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
?
Hi

I feel you are thinking of a keytone meter...?
Keytones are present when BGs go dangerously high.. Ketoacitosis. Not to be confused with ketones from fasting or a keto style diet with a normal safe BG level..

We use our BG meters (& or CGMs.) to detect ot preempt any blood sugar issues accordingly, correcting with the only medication to do the job. Exogenous "insulin" if we go too high. Basically, & on the whole. Anything we swallow (baring water, off the top of my head.) will have either a nominal immediate effect or big impact on BGs, or possibly latter on. Depending on the complexity of the carbs & the amount, or fats slowing the digestive process ultimately converting to blood sugar to power the body.. Which is why the correct insulin to carb ratio is imperative. Along with the timing of dose to compliment the carbs. Certain insulins have a certain working profile..

Unless our BG goes lower than healthy perameters. Then we use carbs..

Hey I'm just a "layman."

All I know is my beta cells took a beating during an autoimmune episode 42 years ago.
& personally, I feel yer barking up the wrong tree? Sorry. :)

Hope this helps!
I thought I answered that some people with reactive hypoglycemia eat diets which never lead to an insulin reaction because their blood sugar never gets high enough to trigger an insulin release. We are not all people with reactive hypoglycemia but we exist even if we end up anti social. If I ever had an insulin reaction to process sugar I would have major fatigue. I want my brain to be as clear as it recently has been and I therefore eat my strange diet.

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
Hi
I have the gene but I don't want to be fat. If I eat the amount of food a "normal" person does I get fat. I use much less energy in processing sugar then "normal" people do. A lot of Indians have my gene since I can survive famines much longer than you unfortunates. The women with my gene pay since they become diabetic in pregnancy and lose more babies (and sometimes themselves) then you "normal's". I explain that we use the same (very similar?) hormones as does the placenta to protect the fetus/baby and if the women stopped the hormones making us insulin resistant the baby/fetus would die.

Can you enlighten me please, what are the names of these hormones? And the names of these placental hormones?

BTW it is insulin that makes us insulin resistant through the failed mechanism of carb metabolism. It is a chicken and egg scenario but hyperinsulinaemia plus hyperglycaemia = metabolic dysfunction. This would be for T2, anyway.

Reactions: Hotpepper20000

Cobia

Type of diabetes
LADA
Mate you have to listen to what people are saying.

They tried to control type 1 with diet alone before insulin was discovered.....(1921)
It cant be done even vlc diet ketogenic diet insulin is still required.

It cant be gotten around its proven fact.

Oh and keto dosnt mean weightloss all the time...

Reactions: Dodo

yetta2mymom

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
?
Can you enlighten me please, what are the names of these hormones? And the names of these placental hormones?

BTW it is insulin that makes us insulin resistant through the failed mechanism of carb metabolism. It is a chicken and egg scenario but hyperinsulinaemia plus hyperglycaemia = metabolic dysfunction. This would be for T2, anyway.
Hi

Human Placental Lactogen often abbreviated as HPL. People are barking up some wrong trees. As 1 nurse said as I explained how my theory explains how the low carb diet works etc... "It explains too much". She became an advocate in our local hospital. My theory says that type 2 diabetes is probably these hormones leaking (very small amount) (all?) the time. After all women have to turn them off and I understand they occasionally do not completely recover their sugar processing after pregnancy.

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
I'm confused by this discussion. I always thought that T1s need a small amount of basal insulin, even if fasting or eating a zero carb diet, because the liver will supply glycogen to keep the brain supplied with energy/glucose.

But, if you're on a zero carb diet, you stop producing glycogen and then rely on fats for energy (or so says Dr google). So where does the carbohydrate come from to keep blood glucose levels up in the normal 4-7 range? Or is no one (apart from Inuits) on a zero carb diet?

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm confused by this discussion. I always thought that T1s need a small amount of basal insulin, even if fasting or eating a zero carb diet, because the liver will supply glycogen to keep the brain supplied with energy/glucose.

But, if you're on a zero carb diet, you stop producing glycogen and then rely on fats for energy (or so says Dr google). So where does the carbohydrate come from to keep blood glucose levels up in the normal 4-7 range? Or is no one (apart from Inuits) on a zero carb diet?
Zero carb isn't zero protein so gluconeogenesis will continue to produce the glucose you need to function quite happily. This is what the OP seems to be misunderstanding.. All the carnivores are approximately zero carb (apart from a few incidentals).

Reactions: EllieM

kokhongw

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Explain your analysis. I assume that over 50 years ago when these events occurred, before I realized I had a low blood sugar problem, I got very low blood sugar.

In people with normal metabolism, low glucose results in low insulin and that will allow them to produce ketones as alternative fuel source. So their brain will not be damaged by the low glucose.

But for those who are pre-diabetic or already T2D, then the high insulin response after a high carbs meal will lower glucose AND suppress ketones production. This will cause the brain to sense the low glucose and lack of alternative fuel causes it to trigger the frenzied hunger and panic that is so familiar to us all.

The take away from all this is that low glucose alone is an incomplete condition the trigger for hypoglycemic event. The real trigger for hypoglycemic event is high insulin, low glucose AND ketones suppression.

This is clearly demonstrated in the a fasting experiment back in 1972 described by Dr Keith Runyan's blogy on hypoglycemia
https://ketogenicdiabeticathlete.wo...-diabetes-mechanisms-avoidance-and-treatment/

where
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC332976/
We know from the study done by Drenick et. al. (ref 9) that in non-diabetic obese persons who fasted for 2 months and achieved blood beta-hydroxybutyrate (BHB) levels of 8 mM when given a single dose of insulin to induce severe hypoglycemia suffered no symptoms despite BG values as low as 9 mg/dl (0.5 mmol/l).

Also anyone who has done extended fasting will also experience low glucose with no hypoglycemic symptoms. because ketones will rise to match our brain requirements.

https://thequantifiedbody.net/fast-mimicking-diet/
Glucose-Ketones-Fast-mimicking-diet.png

So you are likely to have fainted because your insulin was too high and that results in low glucose and low ketones. There was not enough fuel for your brain to prevent a shutdown.

A ketogenic diet will result in flatline glucose and low insulin. This is the pre-condition to naturally produce ketones.

Hope that clears up your confusion about the effects of insulin and low glucose. Do read up on ketones as an alternative fuel for our brain. It will clear things up...

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@kohongw Can I ask you to explain 'flatline glucose' please? I am curious because I did keto for a while although now have reverted to low carb for a while. What level would you say was flatline glucose? Do you mean that the level is constant all the time the person is in ketosis? Just trying to get my head round this. :)

kokhongw

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@kohongw Can I ask you to explain 'flatline glucose' please? I am curious because I did keto for a while although now have reverted to low carb for a while. What level would you say was flatline glucose? Do you mean that the level is constant all the time the person is in ketosis? Just trying to get my head round this. :)

That is actually a term used by Cyrus Khambatta in his debunking keto myths videio :D

But if you follow the TypeOneGrit group, you would often see CGM with relatively flatline...on a good day, I get something like this...it I stay off carbs. The morning blimp was just eggs and cheese.

upload_2018-11-22_21-1-36.png

And we pretty much have to keep it at that tight range if we want to go into ketosis...otherwise our background insulin will still be too high to produce adequate ketones. So the easiest way is really to just fast for 24-72 hours...

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
That is actually a term used by Cyrus Khambatta in his debunking keto myths videio :D

But if you follow the TypeOneGrit group, you would often see CGM with relatively flatline...on a good day, I get something like this...it I stay off carbs. The morning blimp was just eggs and cheese.

View attachment 29670

And we pretty much have to keep it at that tight range if we want to go into ketosis...otherwise our background insulin will still be too high to produce adequate ketones. So the easiest way is really to just fast for 24-72 hours...
Thanks, yeh that's mostly what my chart looks like normally anyhow, whether low carb or 'proper keto'. At the moment I am having just the one blip with my evening meal, but that's because I have relaxed things a little. Thanks for answering. :)

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
So how does the hpl affect you, as a male?

Giles Yeo is right when he says the pregnant female is an alien (all things are off the table when it comes to pregnancy, not all is understood about mother/foetus metabolism).

kokhongw

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Here is Cyrus' attempt to debunk Keto...so the word is out on how to get flatline glucose...millions are doing it. Do we still have a T2D crisis?

https://www.masteringdiabetes.org/ketosis-ketogenic-diets-misleading/
I have heard of someone getting ketones of say 2.0 with BGs of around 10-12. Now I wouldn't have thought that was possible, but maybe it's because of certain drugs that they take? Surely they can't be fat adapted with BGs that high, and it can't be the beginnings of ketoacidosis with BGs that low! If you see what I mean. I need to have less than 25g daily for about 7-10 days to get to the 2.0 level.

kokhongw

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have heard of someone getting ketones of say 2.0 with BGs of around 10-12. Now I wouldn't have thought that was possible, but maybe it's because of certain drugs that they take? Surely they can't be fat adapted with BGs that high, and it can't be the beginnings of ketoacidosis with BGs that low! If you see what I mean. I need to have less than 25g daily for about 7-10 days to get to the 2.0 level.

Perhaps they are on SGLT2 inhibitor. It is known to induce ketosis

This is one possible mechanism...
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/28303514

This paper goes into greater details.
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4525004/

In any case, it is un-natural and likely dangerous to have ketones with high glucose level. That's why exogenous ketones should also be considered with care.

Last edited:
Reactions: zand

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

yetta2mymom

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
?

Hi

Actually my fasting blood sugar rose as I stayed on this diet. The liver changes fat into sugar. I assume I also start using fat directly but I have never checked.
Neil

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
If I understand the gist of the OP's argument correctly, he is suggesting that Type 1 diabetics could survive by using diet so that the liver generates the glucose needed rather than ingesting carbohydrates which require insulin. However, having generated the glucose surely insulin is still needed to make use of it?

Status
Not open for further replies.