bashed a toe..

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Stupidly bashed my toe off a metal support in bathroom this morning.
aching me all day, just had a good look at it..

Toe not broken i don't think, but is badly bruised.
(middle toe of 5..:))

And it's more bruised then i thought it would be, if i'm honest

Just completed desmonds and the warning about toes, etc is now ringing in my ears..

Is it a case of 'watchful waiting' or should i be concerned..

anyone else done similar and lived to tell the tale....:happy:.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Is it a case of 'watchful waiting'

That's what I would do. How are your blood sugars? Good blood sugars make you heal quicker. As does good blood flow in your feet. If you are diagnosed with neuropathy or problems with blood flow in your feet I would be a bit quicker with going to the doctor.
Wish your toe all the best from me!

librarising

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
The warning about toes is because poor blood glucose control can lead to neuropathy and lack of feeling in the feet. Neuropathy sufferers can injure their feet, and not realise it. This is the danger, as high blood sugars can severely impede healing.
Since you're very aware of the damage, you'll be equally aware of the healing.
I'd do paracetamol and watching.
Geoff

Reactions: kitedoc and Prem51

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
The warning about toes is because poor blood glucose control can lead to neuropathy and lack of feeling in the feet. Neuropathy sufferers can injure their feet, and not realise it.
Exactly. Plus, high blood sugars impair healing, slower healing can lead to infection (when having an open wound), infections lead to higher blood sugar, which leads to even slower healing, bigger infection, and so on, which can lead to very nasty outcomes.
So be happy your toe hurts :)

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I don't remember being warned about toes at DESMOND course, but my DN did tell me to wear shoes indoors when I first saw her after being diagnosed. I asked her why and she said to protect my toes.
I have disregarded that advice and go barefoot indoors in Summer, and just wear socks when it's colder. I'm aware of where I'm likely to stub toes and automatically take care in those places so I've not had any major toe incidents yet.

Reactions: kitedoc and jjraak

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Stupidly bashed my toe off a metal support in bathroom this morning.
aching me all day, just had a good look at it..

Toe not broken i don't think, but is badly bruised.
(middle toe of 5..:))

And it's more bruised then i thought it would be, if i'm honest

Just completed desmonds and the warning about toes, etc is now ringing in my ears..

Is it a case of 'watchful waiting' or should i be concerned..

anyone else done similar and lived to tell the tale....:happy:.

you need to have a GP look at it if it get swollen and hot and red, maybe you will need some antibiotica it is not wise to stay home and do nothing if it gets hot and swollen..

Reactions: kitedoc

enzina

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pain, being dependent, egoistic people & jealousy
A few years ago i stabbed my toe, the one next to the small toe and believed it's just bruised but next morning i couldn't even put weight on the foot. Had to go to A&E, it turned out it was broken. They wanted to give me crouches but i told them no way i could walk on them the 50 stairs up to my flat! So i had to wear an ankle walker for six weeks, that was fun (not).

Anyway, i hope yours is not broken @jjraak. Good luck!

Reactions: Prem51 and jjraak

Pura Vida

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I don't remember being warned about toes at DESMOND course, but my DN did tell me to wear shoes indoors when I first saw her after being diagnosed. I asked her why and she said to protect my toes.
I have disregarded that advice and go barefoot indoors in Summer, and just wear socks when it's colder. I'm aware of where I'm likely to stub toes and automatically take care in those places so I've not had any major toe incidents yet.

I used to wear heavy socks.but I find Mokassins with good soles are safer and keep my feet warm.
No matter how cold the floor.

Last edited:
Reactions: kitedoc

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
thanks you all for the replies and good advice..
Good to know it's a watching game.

cracked / broken a few bits in my time, enzina, so I don't believe it's broken.
And normally i heal ok in the end...just the warning made me doubt myself.
Your incident sounded nasty, tho..

and Prem51...yeah, i thought the same...it wasn't a deliberate act, honest...hahaha.
( long may your radar keep you safe. )

But i will be more careful..

nice tip about the moccasins, pura
maybe this big clumsy oaf just needs some steel toe capped slippers..LoL

thanks again, all

put my mind at rest..:happy:

Reactions: Prem51 and Antje77

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
Ouch!! @jjraak. I use the remedy whose acronym is RICE, Rest, Ice, Compression and Elevation. All within moderation.
From painful past experience I found it important to ice the area over the toenail. Bleeding under the nail can create a collection which has nowhere to go and the pressure build up can be excruciating. The doctors call it a subungual haematoma.
If painful the only sane choice is to go to the doctors or A&E where (sit down to read this)!!! they burn a hole through the nail to release the blood under pressure beneath.
A paperclip heated up with a metho burner is the exorbitantly expensive device used. (it is a wonder its use has not bankrupted health services the world over)!
The relief is worth the fear, I can vouch for that !!
I hope you do not need that procedure and that the RICE thing suffices (having checked with nurse or doctor first).
Look at the bright side, it should get you out of the washing up, improve your length of TV viewing time and you could even con your mates into thinking it is gout, the 'health condition' of Kings !!!
Of course redness, increased swelling and pain, fever in the days that follow might require medical attention. :inpain::inpain::)

Reactions: Prem51

rmz80

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Diabetics are constantly being told to do more exercise. In my case I typically try to do a 5 mile walk per day. The down side to walking is constantly stubbing especially a big toe nearly every week.

Another piece of bad news; diabetics are also prone to the same fungi that causes “Athletes Foot” due to sugar from blood reaching skin pores and giving the fungi a free meal.

Combining a stubbed toe with the fungi from “Athletes foot” and you end up with 6 months of misery. I recently just did both toes.

If you knock your toes put some “Canesten Athletes Foot Cream” on

PS It also stops your foot itching (not just between toes)

librarising

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
The down side to walking is constantly stubbing especially a big toe nearly every week.

Are you clumsy, or are you clumsy ?
If it's the former, then pay more attention when walking.
If it's the latter then consider getting some steel toecap shoes. I work in them and they're fine Never high fashion, but will repay you in unstubbed toes.
Geoff
p.s. just replaced some well-worn shoes for under £25.

Jo_the_boat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Are you clumsy, or are you clumsy ?
If it's the former, then pay more attention when walking.
If it's the latter then consider getting some steel toecap shoes. I work in them and they're fine Never high fashion, but will repay you in unstubbed toes.
Geoff
p.s. just replaced some well-worn shoes for under £25.

I wear steel toe caps for work - essential.
However last week I slipped down the last 3 stairs at home and bashed my middle toe on a single panel radiator.
Rather sore and it went black. But dispersing now.
Steel toe caps are all well and good, but in slippers?!

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Steel toe caps are all well and good, but in slippers?!
I just had to google this and wasn't disappointed. I'd put these on your Chrismas wish list, @Jo_the_boat !
295.jpg

Reactions: Dodo and Prem51
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
thanks you all for the replies and good advice..
Good to know it's a watching game.

cracked / broken a few bits in my time, enzina, so I don't believe it's broken.
And normally i heal ok in the end...just the warning made me doubt myself.
Your incident sounded nasty, tho..

and Prem51...yeah, i thought the same...it wasn't a deliberate act, honest...hahaha.
( long may your radar keep you safe. )

But i will be more careful..

nice tip about the moccasins, pura
maybe this big clumsy oaf just needs some steel toe capped slippers..LoL

thanks again, all

put my mind at rest..:happy:

You could try a pair of these, I love my slipper's :) Hope your toe heals up quickly.

20181125_142206_resized (1).jpg

Last edited: