Having a really bad morning

Atlantico

Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Hi Everyone,
Post prandial Reactive Hypoglycaemia

I am having terrible muscle shakes, anxiety and can't think clearly this morning.
I am doing quite well on very low carb (about 5g daily) keto although I am not quite 2 weeks into following it very carefully.I have been feeling so much better. Last night we had Keto cabbage recipe with ground beef in it. This morning woke up feeling dreadful but BG of 4.7 I made 2 scrambled eggs for breakfast but forgot to put butter in it (confused!). I don't want to eat something sweet but how can I get lots of fat quickly. I am eating peanut butter and cheddar cheese at present.

I really would appreciate your ideas.

Thanks, Atlantico

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Everyone,
Post prandial Reactive Hypoglycaemia

I am having terrible muscle shakes, anxiety and can't think clearly this morning.
I am doing quite well on very low carb (about 5g daily) keto although I am not quite 2 weeks into following it very carefully.I have been feeling so much better. Last night we had Keto cabbage recipe with ground beef in it. This morning woke up feeling dreadful but BG of 4.7 I made 2 scrambled eggs for breakfast but forgot to put butter in it (confused!). I don't want to eat something sweet but how can I get lots of fat quickly. I am eating peanut butter and cheddar cheese at present.

I really would appreciate your ideas.

Thanks, Atlantico

Hi, sorry - this may be too late to help you, but i would:
Have coffee and cream
Cheese
Nuts

And maybe make some fat bombs to keep in the fridge.

Sorry you were feeling rough. :(
How you feeling now?

And are you getting enough salt? Are you familiar with the symptoms of keto flu, and how to deal with them?

https://www.dietdoctor.com/low-carb/side-effects

dawnmc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Was about to echo what brunneria said, make sure you are getting magnesium too.

Reactions: Atlantico

Atlantico

Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Hi, sorry - this may be too late to help you, but i would:
Have coffee and cream
Cheese
Nuts

And maybe make some fat bombs to keep in the fridge.

Sorry you were feeling rough. :(
How you feeling now?

And are you getting enough salt? Are you familiar with the symptoms of keto flu, and how to deal with them?

https://www.dietdoctor.com/low-carb/side-effects

Thanks Brunneira,

I have been eating small amounts since I got up. Felt really bad so I had 1/2 piece Burgen bread but I can't remember what I put on it! I have had a roast beef salad for lunch and got up to 5.2. Will have coffee and cream now, I only usually drink water.

What are fat bombs? They sound like a good idea.

I do eat a lot of nuts but forgot about those this morning.

I have a glass of Dioralyte (replacement mineral salts) each morning while doing LCHF and a Veg stock cube in boiled water before my lunch.

Thank you once again for your advice.
Atlantico

Atlantico

Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Was about to echo what brunneria said, make sure you are getting magnesium too.

Thank you Dawn.
I have just checked my Dioralyte box and found there is no Magnesium but there is 3.5g of glucose - I thought I was okay with that!! In future will revert to salt and water. I will have a look for magnesium tablets.
Thanks for your advice.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
If you want to supplement magnesium, then don’t just buy the first brand you see. Have a look around. There are about 8 different forms of magnesium, each with varying different absorbability and chance of stomach upset. Choose carefully. I have found magnesium oil, rubbed into the skin, delivers far better than any tablet i have tried so far. Mercola as a website with many articles on nutrition, and a couple of the articles compare different magnesiums. Wikipedia also compares them.

Have a google for ‘fat bomb recipe’ you will quickly find something to your taste.

One thing though, what blood glucose level do you view as optimal?
Because I have to say that I would be very happy indeed with morning readings in the 4s. I would consider that a terrific result, and would focus on keeping it low and steady all day with nice slow release low carb foods, eaten to satiety. I certainly wouldn’t be trying to push it up higher.

On the other hand, if it dipped into the threes, I would want to eat something to stop it dropping lower, but there are many non diabetics wandering around, perfectly healthily, with bgs as low as the 3s and 4s. I (with RH) would also be confident that the same slow release foods would not be pushing me into a hyper->hypo RH bg cycle, so I wouldnkt be worrying about lows. Your mileage may, of course, vary.

I absolutely realise that you have been feeling rough, but I wouldn’t assume that a bg of 4.7 is the cause. Unless you had a night time sleeping hypo? I have had a few of those and have woken up feeling like a truck ran over me in my sleep. It was the Freestyle Libre that helped me work out what was going on.

Hope that helps!

Atlantico

Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
If you want to supplement magnesium, then don’t just buy the first brand you see. Have a look around. There are about 8 different forms of magnesium, each with varying different absorbability and chance of stomach upset. Choose carefully. I have found magnesium oil, rubbed into the skin, delivers far better than any tablet i have tried so far. Mercola as a website with many articles on nutrition, and a couple of the articles compare different magnesiums. Wikipedia also compares them.

Have a google for ‘fat bomb recipe’ you will quickly find something to your taste.

One thing though, what blood glucose level do you view as optimal?
Because I have to say that I would be very happy indeed with morning readings in the 4s. I would consider that a terrific result, and would focus on keeping it low and steady all day with nice slow release low carb foods, eaten to satiety. I certainly wouldn’t be trying to push it up higher.

On the other hand, if it dipped into the threes, I would want to eat something to stop it dropping lower, but there are many non diabetics wandering around, perfectly healthily, with bgs as low as the 3s and 4s. I (with RH) would also be confident that the same slow release foods would not be pushing me into a hyper->hypo RH bg cycle, so I wouldnkt be worrying about lows. Your mileage may, of course, vary.

I absolutely realise that you have been feeling rough, but I wouldn’t assume that a bg of 4.7 is the cause. Unless you had a night time sleeping hypo? I have had a few of those and have woken up feeling like a truck ran over me in my sleep. It was the Freestyle Libre that helped me work out what was going on.

Hope that helps!

Thank you for using your valuable time to help me.

I do realise 4.7 is a good reading and that is why I can't understand why I feel so rubbish. I wondered if it could be because I am nearly 2 weeks into Keto and my body is still looking for carbs to eat. It may also be that I am not eating enough fat. Must admit I am still nervous about so much fat.

I will check out all the magnesium products, just didn't realise there were so many.

Thank you once agaiin.

Reactions: Brunneria

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Thank you for using your valuable time to help me.

I do realise 4.7 is a good reading and that is why I can't understand why I feel so rubbish. I wondered if it could be because I am nearly 2 weeks into Keto and my body is still looking for carbs to eat. It may also be that I am not eating enough fat. Must admit I am still nervous about so much fat.

I will check out all the magnesium products, just didn't realise there were so many.

Thank you once agaiin.

Just as a add on to what everyone has posted, some days early after diagnosis, you have no idea why you feel rough or not as good as your glucometer readings say you should, you have good days and bad days. Hopefully you feel a bit better now! But the symptoms sometimes persist after a hypo, depending on how bad it is and how you have treated it. I had my last bad hypo after my last eOGTT, and it took a few days to get over it! Now because my awareness is really good about my blood levels, I get a sense if I come out from normal levels.
If you have ever suffered from a migraine or a hangover from too much alcohol, sometimes it takes more than a day to recover, so take it easy, don't do something that will make you worse, relax, let your body work for you, just keep eating low carb small meals, just a few bites, to get you back on track.
This will take time, you are still discovering what is happening to you.
And I only wish I could do the fat bombs! (Yuk!)

Atlantico

Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Thank you Lamont.
I am getting over my bad morning but very shortly after getting up, usually with a BG in the high 4s, my leg muscles start to shake as I get showered and dressed and by the time I am coming diwnstairs my leg muscles have seized up very tight and I have trouble walking. This usually goes off, or eases, about 1-2 hours later. Have yoy heard of this before?
Regards, Atlantico

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @Atlantico

Did you have a look at the link i posted above discussing the side effects of going low carb? Muscle cramps are sometimes the result of magnesiun and/or potassium deficiency, which is quite common, especially at the start of low carbing.

Reactions: Atlantico

Atlantico

Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Hi @Atlantico

Did you have a look at the link i posted above discussing the side effects of going low carb? Muscle cramps are sometimes the result of magnesiun and/or potassium deficiency, which is quite common, especially at the start of low carbing.

Hello Brunneira,
I am so sorry I didn't reply to your link for cramps. Things have been quite hectic just recently.
I have been eating a small banana in very small portions each day for potassium and intend to look carefully at magnesium and potassium and try those. Hopefully a combination of the two will help.
Thannk you again.

Reactions: Brunneria