Itching

Barrowbakers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I have seen the other threads but wonder if anyone has other opinions. I am type 2 and my last Hbaic was 5.7. My average fbg is 5.9 to 6.1.
I get this crazy itching on back of arms and on lower rib cage - particularly on waking. Only treatment appears to be hydrocortisone cream which is not the most recommended treatment I know.
Anyone else with simple cures?

Reactions: Ponchu

Ann1982

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I have it too but it’s only on my left side and only on waking. Goes away after I get up! I did try tea tree and aloe gel which helped a bit.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have seen the other threads but wonder if anyone has other opinions. I am type 2 and my last Hbaic was 5.7. My average fbg is 5.9 to 6.1.
I get this crazy itching on back of arms and on lower rib cage - particularly on waking. Only treatment appears to be hydrocortisone cream which is not the most recommended treatment I know.
Anyone else with simple cures?

Do you take Metformin, Barrowbakers? Some experience itching on it.

dawnmc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
I second that, on metformin I got really really itchy, was put on antihistamine to stop it!!

Reactions: Barrowbakers

Barrowbakers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Sounds very logical to me! I’m seeing my DN in ten days and will suggest it! Did you take Cetirizine anti histamine - I find not very good .

dawnmc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Sounds very logical to me! I’m seeing my DN in ten days and will suggest it! Did you take Cetirizine anti histamine - I find not very good .
I don't recall which one, it did work but...

garyb888

try Eucerin, Aveeno, and Cerave creams. all available on iHerb.com website. they've worked well for me on my scalp itch. may work well for you...

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I had itching over most of my body on a single tablet of Metformin and one of Atorvastatin - I stopped taking both and the side effects faded away.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I could not report the really dreadful side effects I got as I started and stopped both medications on the same day - so it is no wonder that they are regarded as 'safe' - the system is contrived to get that result, I suspect.

Reactions: Ponchu

pekeMom

I have been dealing with itching. I am trying to control by. Diet LCHF and only one 500mg metformin a day. I am losing weight and have more energy bit itching is crazy and very transient. One moment it's on back, then lower back to goes buttocks then belly. But when one area itches the other area stops itching. Not sure if it's metformin. But I googled and found low carb diets can cause itchy rashes. I only have the rash while it's itchy and then it goes to the next itchy area. I don't want to stop the metformin because it helps and has other health benefits. And the low carb diet is working. But I feel like I could claw my skin off and have tried powders and cortisone creams, anti fungal creams etc. Frustrating.

garyb888

I have been dealing with itching. I am trying to control by. Diet LCHF and only one 500mg metformin a day. I am losing weight and have more energy bit itching is crazy and very transient. One moment it's on back, then lower back to goes buttocks then belly. But when one area itches the other area stops itching. Not sure if it's metformin. But I googled and found low carb diets can cause itchy rashes. I only have the rash while it's itchy and then it goes to the next itchy area. I don't want to stop the metformin because it helps and has other health benefits. And the low carb diet is working. But I feel like I could claw my skin off and have tried powders and cortisone creams, anti fungal creams etc. Frustrating.
As I posted earlier, try Eucerin, Aveeno, and Cerave, all available on iHerb.com. Worked for me.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
That is a new one - I have never heard of a low carb diet causing itching before - however the tablets are often cited as the culprit.
It sounds rather severe - scratching so much, but I had weals all over and had to wear gloves in bed, and for me it was definitely the tablets - started a week or so after beginning to take the tablets, stopped soon after I binned them.
I had lots of other side effects so it was a great relief to be rid of them.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
But I googled and found low carb diets can cause itchy rashes.
That might be a keto rash but it shouldn't last too long just a day or so..there is a theory that it is toxins that have been stored in body fat coming out as the fat is burned as fuel.. I've had it a few times especially when fasting but after a few days it clears up.

Emma_369

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I have also started itching a lot over last month or so but only ever on my stomach. It comes and goes so I don’t pay too much attention to it. I never really thought about possibility of diet causing it but intrigued now. As it’s my stomach, which is where most of my weight loss has occurred I now have (sorry for the beautiful mental image) but loose skin, so I sort of put it down to my body changing.
I have no advice to offer but feel less odd knowing others have similar issues and am going to see it as a positive as per @bulkbiker and tell myself it’s my belly burning more fat each time I feel it which can only be a good thing! :)