Anyone else on Sukkarto?

Lowcarb 2

Type of diabetes
Type 1.5
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Just had my normal Metformin scrip replaced with one for Sukkarto 500 mg tabs. I have used Metformin SR 500 for several years, and this last year my readings were regularly in the 4 to 7 mmol/l range for both pre and post prandials, with an overall daily average of 5,8 on my meter. Since this change last week my bgl is now running in the 7 to 11.5 mmol/l range, and the jump for my 2hr PP is often about 4 mmol.l on LCHF diet. So I seem to find the new med is not equivalent to my original med. My daily average is now running st 7.5 which it has not been for over a year.

I am wondering if I should yellow card this new med?

Edit to add: Just noted that my new scrip has also halved my metformin dose, and whilst this was not normally a problem in the past, it may be adding to the change. Normally Metformin working range is only a couple of points at best, so a 4 point rise is still out of character.

I will go back to keto mode to see if this improves things back again. It may be an adjustment of diet is all that is needed, Still it was a bit of a shock, and the air turned blue for a while here at Vartr towers.
3 months after being diagnosed and given metformin i found my sugar levels spiked and the Dr out me on sukattro as she said the metformin was no longer working for me - I was told that sukattr o is still classed as metformin just a better version say Mark's and sparks rather than.primark

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
3 months after being diagnosed and given metformin i found my sugar levels spiked and the Dr out me on sukattro as she said the metformin was no longer working for me - I was told that sukattr o is still classed as metformin just a better version say Mark's and sparks rather than.primark
Not quite the same. Sukkarto is the generic pill, so is just cheaper. It has the same active ingredient list, but differs in the way it gets released and absorbed into the body. I found the coating on sukkarto was not dissolving properly so was not actually working for me. But I am on a PPI med that acts like an antacid, and this was reducing the acidity in my stomach thus not dissolving the shellac lacquer coating quickly enough, and the pills were passing through almost intact.

lisa5466

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Feeling exhausted all the time
Interesting about PPI as I’m taking Omeprazole so remains to be seen if the Sukkarto is absorbed and effective.

Reactions: Oldvatr

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Interesting about PPI as I’m taking Omeprazole so remains to be seen if the Sukkarto is absorbed and effective.
Please check the FDA advisories out on Omeprazole. I changed to a different one that is not so notorious, Please also note that these PPIs may interfere with other medications, and especially the absorbtion of Iron and calcium from supplements.

Samdiabetes

I have been using Merk Glucophase XR for very long time . Never I have felt the laxative effect so strong since last month my NHS trust changed the medicine to this cheap rubbish without telling me . I am scared of taking it due to the watery diarrhoea it causes . If I stop taking this rubbish , Diarrhoea goes away . Please help and tell NHS to stop dishing out rubbish because it is cheap.

Edited by moderator to remove incorrect information.

Last edited by a moderator:

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have been using Merk Glucophase XR for very long time . Never I have felt the laxative effect so strong since last month my NHS trust changed the medicine to this cheap rubbish without telling me . I am scared of taking it due to the watery diarrhoea it causes . If I stop taking this rubbish , Diarrhoea goes away . Please help and tell NHS to stop dishing out rubbish because it is cheap.

Edited by moderator to remove incorrect information.

If you are getting diarrhoea as a side effect of the different brand of Metformin, maybe you could discuss this with your GP and ask to be prescribed your original brand again.