What is your child’s HbA1c?

Jayden2407

I have another daughter who is almost 16. I was 31 when diagnosed so we can't say she'll never be diabetic but we'll keep our fingers crossed! Yes, both type 1 x

Very inspirational :)
I’ve just shown my son Jayden your messages, as it’s all still fairly new to us I like to give him confidence that he’s not on his own with it and having diabetes shouldn’t control your life!
I’m at risk of type 2 apparently because I had gestational while pregnant but I don’t think about it much.
Lovely speaking to you :) x

mahola

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Very inspirational :)
I’ve just shown my son Jayden your messages, as it’s all still fairly new to us I like to give him confidence that he’s not on his own with it and having diabetes shouldn’t control your life!
I’m at risk of type 2 apparently because I had gestational while pregnant but I don’t think about it much.
Lovely speaking to you :) x

If you want to chat further, feel free to drop me a PM. Both you and your boy must never feel alone x

Reactions: Jayden2407

MrMatty

That’s fab! How old was your son when diagnosed?
I suppose it’s hard and a huge shock at any age isn’t it... but I’m glad my son didn’t reached his teens before his diagnosis!
Your boy is so cute (just looked at your profile pic) :)
Thank you. He was 3 years 3 months when diagnosed.

The hospital paediatric team ask us to aim for an HbA1c of between 48-58. Is that the same for your son?

mahola

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I think that's an incredible result. How does she manage that? Is she on a low carb diet?

She's eats a moderate amount of carbs. She always takes her insulin 20 minutes before eating, point blank refuses to have a pump, checks her blood sugars 6 -7 times a day. Doesn't want to even try the Libre ! I think her saving grace has been her glucose monitor - Accu-check Aviva expert. Her HbA1c has improved so much since using that. I wish I could get one for myself! :)

MrMatty

She's eats a moderate amount of carbs. She always takes her insulin 20 minutes before eating, point blank refuses to have a pump, checks her blood sugars 6 -7 times a day. Doesn't want to even try the Libre ! I think her saving grace has been her glucose monitor - Accu-check Aviva expert. Her HbA1c has improved so much since using that. I wish I could get one for myself! :)

We also use the Aviva Expert. We also use the Libre which I think is fantastic, however, it's something to use alongside the Aviva Expert and is in no way a replacement.
Very interesting about injecting 20 mins before eating, we've always been told not to do this. If she has a lowish blood sugar before eating isn't there a danger that she will go hypo before the food starts to be digested? Novorapid takes 10-15 mins to kick in.

mahola

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
We also use the Aviva Expert. We also use the Libre which I think is fantastic, however, it's something to use alongside the Aviva Expert and is in no way a replacement.
Very interesting about injecting 20 mins before eating, we've always been told not to do this. If she has a lowish blood sugar before eating isn't there a danger that she will go hypo before the food starts to be digested? Novorapid takes 10-15 mins to kick in.

Novorapid isn't quite as rapid as the doctors would have you believe. I think as with everything about type 1, it's a personal thing. She has to inject 20 minutes before eating. I have to inject 40 minutes before eating. On the odd occasion she has a hypo just before eating, she will treat her hypo wait 15 minutes, make sure her bg is ok, eat and then have her insulin during her meal or just after. It works for her so we're happy.

MrMatty

Novorapid isn't quite as rapid as the doctors would have you believe. I think as with everything about type 1, it's a personal thing. She has to inject 20 minutes before eating. I have to inject 40 minutes before eating. On the odd occasion she has a hypo just before eating, she will treat her hypo wait 15 minutes, make sure her bg is ok, eat and then have her insulin during her meal or just after. It works for her so we're happy.
Yes and with an HbA1c of 38 it is working!

CathP

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Wow your daughter is doing amazingly with just the expert meter and no cgm/libre, Mahola, awesome results. I don’t think we could manage my daughter without the dexcom, I can’t imagine doing diabetes without following the numbers all the time
My 7 year old daughter was 34 hba1c last week thanks to the g6 and pump, and definitely prebolusing!

mahola

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Wow your daughter is doing amazingly with just the expert meter and no cgm/libre, Mahola, awesome results. I don’t think we could manage my daughter without the dexcom, I can’t imagine doing diabetes without following the numbers all the time
My 7 year old daughter was 34 hba1c last week thanks to the g6 and pump, and definitely prebolusing!

My daughter has been offered the Libre and/or a pump on many occasions but she refuses. At 13, nearly 14, it is her choice so I just have to sit back and let her get on with it. I wish I was offered as much help as her. Heaven knows I need it. :D

Jaysmum

Hi my eldest child who is 12 has just been diagnosed with type 1 diabetes and after being in hospital for a week since the diagnosis we were discharged yesterday and are on day one of being at home and the beginning of our new lifestyle of several blood sugars and insulin’s etc daily for the rest of his life now. I have two other children, also boys, one aged 8, and baby is 6months so I know it’s not going to be an easy ride. I have been all over the place with emotions and it is so overwhelming and so much to take in. Surprisingly I can’t believe how well my son is dealing with it but I can’t lie I’m being real strong as this is out life now but I’m so heartbroken and frightened by it all if I’m totally honest and just reaching out as some advise and support from other parents of children with type 1 diabetes I think will be a great thing for me. Thanks, Charlotte x

Jayden2407

Thank you. He was 3 years 3 months when diagnosed.

The hospital paediatric team ask us to aim for an HbA1c of between 48-58. Is that the same for your son?

Yes pretty much, we’re there on Friday hoping to get the G6, almost a year in for us now. I can’t believe how fast it’s gone!

Jayden2407

Were still on the expert meter and my boy refuses to wear a pump. However he wants to try the Dexcom G6, but I’m wondering how the I:C ratio calculations would work as the meter does it all currently and he still injecting himself? X