Weird high bloods

Aknitty

If I wake up and my bloods are 10, then an hour later are 11, I have most likely forgotten my basal haven't I? Not eaten anything to warrant that at all but panicking as I am six weeks preggo and bloods have been absolutely perfect so far. Am T1. Thanks xx

mike@work

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
If I wake up and my bloods are 10, then an hour later are 11, I have most likely forgotten my basal haven't I? Not eaten anything to warrant that at all but panicking as I am six weeks preggo and bloods have been absolutely perfect so far. Am T1. Thanks xx

Not necessarily - you probably have something that is called DP around here, and is an abbreviation of Dawn Phenomenon.
DP causes your blood glucose levels to rise in the mornings, and it is a common problem for both type1 and type2.

Here is some info about DP

https://www.diabetes.co.uk/blood-glucose/dawn-phenomenon.html

Edited to add: Noticed that you are probably new here also, so I'll tag
@daisy1
for some newcomer-info...

Last edited:
Reactions: Aknitty

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs

Sit down and do the calculations. Am assuming you take basal at night. Suppose you take x units of basal per 24 hours . Say it's 8 hours since you took your basal (one third of a day). Suppose 1 unit of insulin reduces your blood sugar by y (correction dose). Then if you've forgotten your basal dose your blood sugar should have gone up by x*y/3.

Some other reasons for your bloods to be up...
1) dawn phenomena
2) inaccuracies of glucose monitors
3) your insulin requirements are going up because of pregnancy
4) you've got a bug (illness) or it's just general T1 randomness
5) you're stressed

Don't panic, occasional double figures are not going to cause your baby to be born with two heads or to turn into a mutant zombie unicorn. Congrats on the perfect sugars so far. (Speaking as the daughter of a T1 who had no glucometers available during her pregnancy and as the T1 mother of two healthy children who had good but not perfect pregnancy blood sugars).

Congrats on the pregnancy. Good luck.

mike@work

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Sit down and do the calculations. Am assuming you take basal at night. Suppose you take x units of basal per 24 hours . Say it's 8 hours since you took your basal (one third of a day). Suppose 1 unit of insulin reduces your blood sugar by y (correction dose). Then if you've forgotten your basal dose your blood sugar should have gone up by x*y/3.

Some other reasons for your bloods to be up...
1) dawn phenomena
2) inaccuracies of glucose monitors
3) your insulin requirements are going up because of pregnancy
4) you've got a bug (illness) or it's just general T1 randomness
5) you're stressed

Don't panic, occasional double figures are not going to cause your baby to be born with two heads or to turn into a mutant zombie unicorn. Congrats on the perfect sugars so far. (Speaking as the daughter of a T1 who had no glucometers available during her pregnancy and as the T1 mother of two healthy children who had good but not perfect pregnancy blood sugars).

Congrats on the pregnancy. Good luck.

Yes - definitely a more complete answer :)

Reactions: Aknitty