My 12 year old son has been diagnosed with type 1 diabetes

Jaysmum

Hi my eldest child who is 12 has just been diagnosed with type 1 diabetes and after being in hospital for a week since the diagnosis we were discharged yesterday and are on day one of being at home and the beginning of our new lifestyle of several blood sugars and insulin’s etc daily for the rest of his life now. I have two other children, also boys, one aged 8, and baby is 6months so I know it’s not going to be an easy ride. I have been all over the place with emotions and it is so overwhelming and so much to take in. Surprisingly I can’t believe how well my son is dealing with it but I can’t lie I’m being real strong as this is out life now but I’m so heartbroken and frightened by it all if I’m totally honest and just reaching out as some advise and support from other parents of children with type 1 diabetes I think will be a great thing for me. Thanks, Charlotte x

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I’m so sorry to hear of your son’s diagnosis. I have type 2 so can’t help you directly, but this will bump your post up to make it more visible. I’ll also tag in @Jayden2407 who’s son is a similar age with a recent type 1 diagnosis and may be able to share some experiences. All the best and don’t be afraid to ask questions, no question is silly if you need it answered x

Jaysmum

Thankyou so much for the reply and for linking me to a connection with someone in the same situation. Thanks so so much for that

slip

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@mahola has a daughter also of a similar age (at dx) might be able to help too.

I'm glad to hear your boy is coping well, children can be immensely matter of fact in these situations - it's us adults that tend to fall to pieces!

I was 27 when I joined 'the club' so I can't really offer any help with dealing with it for a 12yr old - other than the mechanics of it. I will say make a log of blood tests, foods, dosages and any notes good or bad which will help him and you and his medical team understand how his diabetes works and therefore work out the best way forward with his treatment.

It's also a marathon not a sprint.

Kittycat_7_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi,
Wanted to say I'm sorry about your son's diagnosis, we're here for you to.
Good luck for his journey.

D

Deleted Account

Whilst it is shocking to learn someone you know has been diagnosed with a chronic condition, you can take some heart from people with type 1 who have achieved amazing things such as sportsmen like the rubgy union player Harry Slade, the actor Halle Berry, the prime minister (she may be struggling with other things at the moment but it is not due to type 1) and the extreme runner Roddy Riddle.
As others have said there is a lot to take on board at the moment so don't expect to know everything on day one.
Complications of diabetes are scary but if your son looks after his BG, the risks are significantly reduced so focus on what you can do rather than what can go wrong.

This forum is very helpful. There are some incredibly knowledgeable people on board. Bear in mind 9 out of 10 people with diabetes have type 2 so much of the advice may not be relevant to your son.
That said, don't be afraid to ask questions.

Reactions: Grant_Vicat

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi
Even reading that was a great help so Thanku so much!!!!!! Appreciate the support a lot x

Jaysmum - I'm not T1, so can't add too much specific, except to add that I have encountered a number of children orf a wide age range with diabetes, by being a member of my local diabetes group. They don't necessarily have the best voices, but they seem to enjoy themselves. They're astonishing! They just get on with it, and when they have their snacks they get twizzling on their pumps.

There is also a sports group as a spin off from the choir. They play basketball, go paintballing or dry ski slope skiing, and again, they seem to have a great time, and really enjoy the comaraderie of others dealing with the same condition.

It's very early days, but there's a lot out there, and likely your hospital clinic will know about these things. The choir in my area was started by a hospital nurse, and the sporrts group my a Mum of a T1 boy who wanted to join in with something,....... but not singing.

It's amazing how these things come about, and of course the parerents naturally have formed their own support. Maybe you'll find something where you live.

Reactions: nickm
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Hi Charlotte, just wanted to say I know how you feel, as it it such a shock and a lot to get your head around. My granddaughter was diagnosed at 2 1/2 years ( I am type 1 too) and I was devastated and heartbroken, but she is doing well, she is 10 now and is a happy and a healthy child and does everything her friends do, kids are tough cookies, it's the close relatives that can find it hard to begin with, but it will get easier in time.
I hope you all have a Merry Christmas and 2019 will be a happy one.
Take care, ps your boy sounds like a star :)

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi my eldest child who is 12 has just been diagnosed with type 1 diabetes and after being in hospital for a week since the diagnosis we were discharged yesterday and are on day one of being at home and the beginning of our new lifestyle of several blood sugars and insulin’s etc daily for the rest of his life now. I have two other children, also boys, one aged 8, and baby is 6months so I know it’s not going to be an easy ride. I have been all over the place with emotions and it is so overwhelming and so much to take in. Surprisingly I can’t believe how well my son is dealing with it but I can’t lie I’m being real strong as this is out life now but I’m so heartbroken and frightened by it all if I’m totally honest and just reaching out as some advise and support from other parents of children with type 1 diabetes I think will be a great thing for me. Thanks, Charlotte x

Hi Charlotte,

Welcome to the forum.

Speaking as a son diagnosed at the age of 8 & casting my mind back 42 years to my mum's reaction to it all..
What you're experiencing is pretty normal, but I'm sure yer lad will do you proud.

Don't be afraid to ask any questions.

Best wishes,

J>

mahola

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm type 1 and I have a daughter who is type 1. She was 8 days shy of her 11th birthday when diagnosed. We've been diagnosed for almost 3 years now.

I'd recommend letting your son take as much control of his day to day care as he feels comfortable doing. The only thing I do and have ever done for my daughter is order her prescriptions.

Ask as many questions as you like. There are no silly questions. If you don't know, you don't know. I was completely clueless when we were first diagnosed. It's a minefield but you will get the hang of things in no time.

Both of you need to be kind to yourselves. :)

Jaysmum

Hi Charlotte, just wanted to say I know how you feel, as it it such a shock and a lot to get your head around. My granddaughter was diagnosed at 2 1/2 years ( I am type 1 too) and I was devastated and heartbroken, but she is doing well, she is 10 now and is a happy and a healthy child and does everything her friends do, kids are tough cookies, it's the close relatives that can find it hard to begin with, but it will get easier in time.
I hope you all have a Merry Christmas and 2019 will be a happy one.
Take care, ps your boy sounds like a star :)
I'm type 1 and I have a daughter who is type 1. She was 8 days shy of her 11th birthday when diagnosed. We've been diagnosed for almost 3 years now.

I'd recommend letting your son take as much control of his day to day care as he feels comfortable doing. The only thing I do and have ever done for my daughter is order her prescriptions.

Ask as many questions as you like. There are no silly questions. If you don't know, you don't know. I was completely clueless when we were first diagnosed. It's a minefield but you will get the hang of things in no time.

Thanku so much

Jaysmum

Really appreciate all of that advise thanks so much!!!

Andy_Totnes_

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Just to give you some hope, I was diagnosed at the age of 13 on the 9th of June 1966. Here I am 52 years later and still going strong.
Back then it was all guesswork, no blood sugar testing, just urine tests which don't give you a "now" status and much less sophisticated insulins. Being diabetic these days is so much easier than when I started. It's something that is with you 24 hours a day so you have to accept that. When it goes wrong don't panic, it happens all the time.
I'm 66 now and retired, very happy. The diabetes goes up and down. It will always be there, just try to work out what went wrong and keep going.
Andy in Devon

Nimpkish

Nimpkish

Don’t worry and continue to be strong, support your son and don’t let him burden himself with all of the problems of being diagnosed. If you do support him well he won’t feel like he’s had his childhood stolen by the diagnosis. I should know as I was diagnosed at the age of 9 and I’m now 66. It scared my parents so much that they never took any of the burden. So in the day before my 9th birthday I became the responsible adult.

My diabetes never stopped me from doing anything at all. But the best day was being given an insulin pump when I was in my 50’s . It gives you so much freedom yet in a controlled environment. That’s what you should help your son get from the NHS. He can’t fight for it because he’s so young but you can.

Please don’t wrap him in cotton wool let him live his childhood with your support, it will get easier I promise.

Steve x

Heathero

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi I have had type 1 since the age of 4. I am now 57 and have no additional problems The care and knowledge of diabetes was very different when I was a child but have always eaten low sugar and low fat diet. Ok to have treats eg some sweet Christmas food but in small quantities but will Need more insulin.
May be good idea to consider Omnipod insulin pump which can make it easier to manage and will ( when insulin ratios set ) inform him of adjustment of insulin needed following blood test - it will administer via pump fixed to body. May be too early currently but I use this and know many children use this in Suffolk I prefer it to multiple daily injections.
I wish you well .

Last edited:

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
Hi @Jaysmum, I would like to echo @Andy_Totnes_ 's post - my T1D diagnosis was almost 4 months later than his but in sunny Australia ( - and I am a bit envious of the tempestuous 'PoldarK' scenery and what kite flying must be like there)!!
Retired but not from diabetes troubles, going well but only minor troubles like cataracts (I blame the Aussie sun)!!, trigger fingers/carpal tunnel etc.
I managed to get to University, study to be a doctor and practice as one until retirement. Missed out on the chance to be an astronaut but now would not swap for quids!!
Stress and worry are the enemy, humour is your best friend and as @Andy_Totnes_ points out, things are soooo much better for diabetics now compared to the 'good old days'!!
So injection time was my 'javelin practice', I had a 'bottle' of dissolved glucose powder to carry around until glucose tabs were made available and had some embarrassing adventures when hypo (but better to laugh about them than cry) e.g. in the first month or so of being diagnosed, I went 'hypo' (hypoglycaemia - hypo = low, gly = glucose, -aemia = in the blood) at the local swimming baths and was found trying to put an imaginary token into the turnstile leading to the ladies change rooms.
Not a good thing for a Aussie male to be doing !! Fortunately my mates found me and explained the whole things to the baths administrator ! Boy, did I owe them !!!
And even 52 years later I am still learning - from what I know and mistakes I have made !!
So post away and ask Jay to join the site if he wishes. There is forum for his age group too.
And Bestest Wishes to you and all the family. You are all heroes, heroines and warriors!!
Diabetes can seem overwhelming... but we learn from mistakes and each other ..........even when sometimes ..................................................................................................................................................things go wrong
......... IMG_3102 (1).jpg ......................................IMG_3067.jpg .................................................... IMG_3824.jpg

It is all about balance.........................................and believing that most things are possible
(courtesy RobertBrasingtonkites).............................. (courtesy PeterLynnkites)
...............P3310264.jpg .................................. .................................. 17903592_10206204455349159_992899227923968847_n.jpg

Last edited:

SWC123

Hi Jaysmum, My 11 year old son was diagnosed with Type 1, 6 weeks ago. It is a real rollercoaster, and I’ve been amazed at how my son has dealt with it. The NHS have been excellent - my son quickly got the hang of the “pay as you go” insulin that his medical team explained to him (if you have carbs, you have to pay with insulin). We’ve been all over the place with emotions, and at times my son has become really angry at how Type 1 has changed his life, and then gets back into the routine of not letting it get in the way of what he wants to do. Like others have said it’s about taking time and care of yourselves. We’ve also realised that the stroppy 11 year old boy behaviour that we sometimes see has got worse, is often linked with where he is with his diabetes. We’ve found reading some of the posts on the forum really helpful. And even found a local group for families with Type 1 that our diabetic team mentioned, which had meant we’ve been able to ask for advise, and even had a chat with parents at footie matches when our son’s have been playing against one another. There is a lot of support out there, and helpful to know that other parents are going through the same thing and can share their experiences.