Major Buckmaster

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Stuff
Hi all.

Decided to stop the metformin as I can no longer tolerate the side effects.

I'm a little apprehensive as I stopped taking them property a couple of weeks ago and my BGs were up slightly but I had a nasty cold and I think a slight sinus infection which had gone now.

Am I right in thinking the raised levels were the cold rather than the lack of metformin?

And another thing... I walk. Maybe 3 miles. Sometimes up hill sometimes walk less but my readings are always higher. Don't get it.

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
Excercise can affect bg levels however it can also aid insulin resistance. Infections can raise levels so keep an eye on your results.

As to giving up on Metformin, if you can't tolerate it and it is affecting your quality of life then I think it is up to you to make the decision. Might be worth having a chat to your GP about getting the slow release Metformin which is said to be kinder on the tummy (that's if you arn't on the sr version already).

M

Member496333

Speaking from personal experience, if you are able, then I advise a gradual reduction of the dose rather than complete and immediate cessation.

In any event you’ll likely see a small upward trend in your fasting numbers, but you can counter this by keeping your glycogen stores depleted through carb restriction and plenty of exercise.

Reactions: Shas3 and deekaycee

Major Buckmaster

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Stuff
Excercise can affect bg levels however it can also aid insulin resistance. Infections can raise levels so keep an eye on your results.

As to giving up on Metformin, if you can't tolerate it and it is affecting your quality of life then I think it is up to you to make the decision. Might be worth having a chat to your GP about getting the slow release Metformin which is said to be kinder on the tummy (that's if you arn't on the sr version already).

I'm on the ordinary one but it's not just stomach issues it's making me forgetful, foggy, sick, and utterly miserable. So I feel I've made the right decision for me. I can always go back on it. I will see how if effects me for a week and go from there.

So hopefully in the long term the exercise should help?

Major Buckmaster

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Stuff
Speaking from personal experience, if you are able, then I advise a gradual reduction of the dose rather than complete and immediate cessation.

In any event you’ll likely see a small upward trend in your fasting numbers, but you can counter this by keeping your glycogen stores depleted through carb restriction and plenty of exercise.

Thanks. I do intend to increase my exercise. I just think it's holding me back as I feel so unwell on it and it's effecting my sleep which also doesn't help.

I will do as you suggest and reduce slowly

Reactions: Shas3 and Guzzler

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I'm on the ordinary one but it's not just stomach issues it's making me forgetful, foggy, sick, and utterly miserable. So I feel I've made the right decision for me. I can always go back on it. I will see how if effects me for a week and go from there.

So hopefully in the long term the exercise should help?

Aye, walking is said to be beneficial as is resistive training of some kind. Not only for Diabetes but for overall physical and mental health. I hope you feel better soon.

Reactions: Shas3

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Walking usually seems to have a positive effect on blood sugar levels so yes keep going. As for metformin I stopped taking mine after three weeks of hell and felt much better. Cut almost all carbs and sorted blood sugars after that so for me it had little effect.

Inchindown

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
I've been off my metformin for a couple if months. My dose was 3 x 500mg per day.

I was taken off the metformin as a result of other health problems. I never had any side effects from the metformin.

During the time I've been off the metformin my blood sugar has been consistently higher by about a couple of mmols. So whereas a pre meal reading used be around 5, it is now about 7.

I'm having my blood tested weekly at the moment to test for kidney function and there are signs of improvement which means I will likely go back into the metformin fairly soon.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
4B406263-8594-4DEE-95A0-A02A62C1027B.jpeg
Metformin only helps a small amount but just as a visual, here is a graph of my average monthly blood sugars, I recently dropped from 3 tabs a day to 2, then after three months went back up to three (for reasons I won’t go into here), you can plainly see the effect.

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Your comment on feeling 'foggy' made me stop and think, are you on a statin of some kind? Brain fog can be a side effect for some people when on statins but I havn't heard people complain about Metformin causing this kind of thing. That doesn't mean Met doesn't have that affect, just that I have not heard it said.

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi all.

I'm a little apprehensive as I stopped taking them property a couple of weeks ago and my BGs were up slightly but I had a nasty cold and I think a slight sinus infection which had gone now.

Am I right in thinking the raised levels were the cold rather than the lack of metformin?

And another thing... I walk. Maybe 3 miles. Sometimes up hill sometimes walk less but my readings are always higher. Don't get it.
Illness can up your levels, as can excersize. I'd say, keep testing, see what metformin-less life does for you. There's still the slow release kind, and if Met isn't for you, hey, there's a thousand other things you can try. It's just the first go-to, is all. If you need medication at all, that is, on the diet you're on now. Who knows, you could be doing without for the long haul.

I did check the side-effects, and while confusion is listed, it's headed under hypo's, and I'm guessing you'd mention having those if you had 'em.... So, well... I was wondering, were you put on statins around the same time you started taking metformin? Because the tummy-issues can certainly be attributed to the metformin, being forgetful and foggy, not so much.... That sounds more like a statin-ussue. (Statins, by the way, can also raise bloodsugars). Not saying you should bin your entire medicin-cabinet, but it may be worth looking into.

Kittycat_7_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi,
I had to stop Metformin because of side effects, good luck in your recovery.
Take care

Major Buckmaster

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Stuff
Illness can up your levels, as can excersize. I'd say, keep testing, see what metformin-less life does for you. There's still the slow release kind, and if Met isn't for you, hey, there's a thousand other things you can try. It's just the first go-to, is all. If you need medication at all, that is, on the diet you're on now. Who knows, you could be doing without for the long haul.

I did check the side-effects, and while confusion is listed, it's headed under hypo's, and I'm guessing you'd mention having those if you had 'em.... So, well... I was wondering, were you put on statins around the same time you started taking metformin? Because the tummy-issues can certainly be attributed to the metformin, being forgetful and foggy, not so much.... That sounds more like a statin-ussue. (Statins, by the way, can also raise bloodsugars). Not saying you should bin your entire medicin-cabinet, but it may be worth looking into.

Hi.

No im not in statins. Maybe it's just sleeplessness and a mix of meds.

I will give it a go for a week and see how I get on. Go to the doctors if it's going higher.

Major Buckmaster

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Stuff
Walking usually seems to have a positive effect on blood sugar levels so yes keep going. As for metformin I stopped taking mine after three weeks of hell and felt much better. Cut almost all carbs and sorted blood sugars after that so for me it had little effect.
I like the idea of your approach.

Reactions: 1spuds and Shas3

CaCl19

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi all.

Came off metformin a few weeks ago after having 12 years of side effects. BS went up quite a bit now on 40 am 80 pm gliclazide. Have not felt so well in years. good luck

deekaycee

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Your comment on feeling 'foggy' made me stop and think, are you on a statin of some kind? Brain fog can be a side effect for some people when on statins but I havn't heard people complain about Metformin causing this kind of thing. That doesn't mean Met doesn't have that affect, just that I have not heard it said.

deekaycee

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
I sometimes get that "foggy" feeling, sometimes "buzzy" feeling. I have been on metformin for 10 years and Farxiga for 2 years and I found the Farxiga made me wake up and be easily irritated, which is not good at work. So I switched my Farxiga to nightime and it seems better though I do feel a little foggy sometimes. Gradual reduction is always a safe way to try to come off meds.

Reactions: Shas3 and Guzzler

rmz80

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
My fog was caused by blood pressure tablets not diabetes. It however took 3 weeks to clear