Android testing

Libby3781

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi all,

I’m currently involved in a diabetic trial which involves testing android phones, along with the relevant software. I must admit I’m very impressed so far.

All I have to do is put my finger alongside the camera on the phone, then allow a minute for the data to be collected. No finger pricking . Obviously, I still have to test and provide the company with a traditional reading.

The trial period is lasting 48 hours, within that time you have to provide 15 readings.

I’m curious to know has anyone taken part in trials before?

Have you seen the end results then introduced to the overall care of diabetics?

Last edited:
Reactions: Grumpy ole thing

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
Well done for taking an active role in tech research. Every little helps.

Reactions: Libby3781

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Libby,

Is this just an app on your existing personal Android phone, or a separately adapted device being trialed too?

Libby3781

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Libby,

Is this just an app on your existing personal Android phone, or a separately adapted device being trialed too?

Hi Jaylee

It’s an app I’ve been able to download to my existing android mobile.
I initially had a few reservations, but I’ve been pleasantly surprised.
Software downloaded easily, and is really easy to use.

You create a profile that includes:-

Name,address,date of birth, height & weight, & diabetes type (type 2, insulin dependent). Then you create login details, so in my case it’s email address I’m registered to for the trial and password.

Then each time I take a reading I open the software, press start.
The camera light of the mobile then comes on and it asks me to put a finger over the camera.
The software asks you to keep still as it takes the reading.
It goes from 0% - 100%, obviously complete at 100%.
After this is done, the software asks for a traditional reading.
I therefore input the glucose reading I have from my traditional monitor.
Then you submit everything you’ve just done.

Unfortunately, I don’t get access to the results as it’s a trial.

If I could follow this procedure in future rather than finger pricking, I’d be there immediately.

Reactions: Jaylee

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Jaylee

It’s an app I’ve been able to download to my existing android mobile.
I initially had a few reservations, but I’ve been pleasantly surprised.
Software downloaded easily, and is really easy to use.

You create a profile that includes:-

Name,address,date of birth, height & weight, & diabetes type (type 2, insulin dependent). Then you create login details, so in my case it’s email address I’m registered to for the trial and password.

Then each time I take a reading I open the software, press start.
The camera light of the mobile then comes on and it asks me to put a finger over the camera.
The software asks you to keep still as it takes the reading.
It goes from 0% - 100%, obviously complete at 100%.
After this is done, the software asks for a traditional reading.
I therefore input the glucose reading I have from my traditional monitor.
Then you submit everything you’ve just done.

Unfortunately, I don’t get access to the results as it’s a trial.

If I could follow this procedure in future rather than finger pricking, I’d be there immediately.

Hi again,

OK. Fascinating.. Do you see a BG result on your phone after the reading & does this correlate within a couple of fractions on your meter?

Libby3781

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi again,

OK. Fascinating.. Do you see a BG result on your phone after the reading & does this correlate within a couple of fractions on your meter?

This is the only disappointing factor. I don’t get to see any of the results that the software on the mobile collects. However, due to the fact you also have to supply a traditional bg reading, that leads me to believe the company running the trial will do the comparison.

I suppose that’s quite normal really as they have to be sure of accuracy before the software could be readily available on the open market for all.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
This may sound like a silly question.

Is there a specific finger (or maybe a choice of two.) one must use with the reading of the app?

Edited to tag in @Scott-C & @tim2000s who are clued up on BG tech developments.

Last edited:

Libby3781

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
This may sound like a silly question.

Is there a specific finger (or maybe a choice of two.) one must use with the reading of the app?

Edited to tag in @Scott-C & @tim2000s who are clued up on BG tech developments.

You have to use your index fingers for the purpose of the trial. I suppose by using the same finger consistently it will help with the overall results.

It’s a complete new learning curve for me. This is the first trial I’ve been accepted to be involved in.

tayelola

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Would have loved to participate in the trials if Non- Insulin T2 were included. Hopefully someday the success of the current exercise may be the springboard for the inclusion of others. Thanks Libby3781 for the info. No doubt you'll keep us posted on further development.

Libby3781

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Would have loved to participate in the trials if Non- Insulin T2 were included. Hopefully someday the success of the current exercise may be the springboard for the inclusion of others. Thanks Libby3781 for the info. No doubt you'll keep us posted on further development.

Here is the link, https://bioepicstudies.com/. I believe the trials are still open. You’d have nothing to loose by applying. As far as I’m aware the trials don’t seem to have specifics with regards to what type diabetic you are. The trial I’ve been involved in has been focusing on the software primarily.

Reactions: Grumpy ole thing

tayelola

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks for your immediate response. It appears as if the trials are meant for UK residents and yours truly resides in Nigeria. I look forward to the success of the exercise as it will be of tremendous benefit and save us the rigour of finger pricking.

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
I assume it's this one, https://epichealth.io/ which had a lot of fanfare last year and was suspposed to be launching a wide ranging trial early this year. They've gone extremely quiet, funnily enough....

Alongside this, their email domain has disappeared...

Last edited:

Jc3131

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I had been accepted on the trial because im a t1 with an android phone. I filled numerous forms in and sent them off. They have just got back to me saying I was unsuccessful as they have enough people on the trial.

I'm probably being paranoid, but i feel this may have just been a ploy to get my details and info regarding my t1.

Libby3781

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I had been accepted on the trial because im a t1 with an android phone. I filled numerous forms in and sent them off. They have just got back to me saying I was unsuccessful as they have enough people on the trial.

I'm probably being paranoid, but i feel this may have just been a ploy to get my details and info regarding my t1.

Sorry to hear that. Was it long ago? Do you remember the name of the company overseeing the trial. I think there’s a link in the thread somewhere of the company I’ve done my trial via. You might want to give them ago. You’d have nothing to loose if you still want to be involved in a trial using you’re mobile.

Scott-C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
There's a free book length pdf called "The Pursuit of Noninvasive Glucose: 'Hunting the Deceitful Turkey'".

It's an interesting read for anyone interested in the subject. Easy to find pdf donwnloads of it by googling.

The author, John L Smith, is an industry insider who has been closely involved in many attempts at finding a working noninvasive system.

It is, however, a dispiriting read for anyone looking for a quick solution. He outlines dozens of failed attempts, reckons that some of the visionaries involved have almost brainwashed themselves into believing their system will be the winner while blinding themselves to the obvious flaws and difficulties, and mentions schemes using technogy which have been funded and failed, and have then popped up again a while later using different wording and presentation and been funded and failed all over again.

I'm not ruling out the possibility that someone will make the pieces fit eventually, but, if I was a multi-millionaire looking to fund something T related, it wouldn't be noninvasive measuring.

Kbmagic

I have done a set of three trials with epic health on iPhone and had £150 for my troubles. So they are definitely a genuine company - they paid up very promptly. I would have happily done it for free but the money was fast and welcome.

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Can someone who has experience of how this works answer a possibly silly question? If you put your finger over the lens the image will be black, so do you have to have a bright light behind your finger or something?

D

Deleted member 308541

If you put your finger over the lens the image will be black, so do you have to have a bright light behind your finger or something?
It's like the oximeters that read your heart rate and SPo2 levels on your fingure.