1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Android testing

Discussion in 'Diabetes Research' started by Libby3781, Sep 24, 2018.

1. Libby3781

Libby3781 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Hi all,

I’m currently involved in a diabetic trial which involves testing android phones, along with the relevant software. I must admit I’m very impressed so far.

All I have to do is put my finger alongside the camera on the phone, then allow a minute for the data to be collected. No finger pricking . Obviously, I still have to test and provide the company with a traditional reading.

The trial period is lasting 48 hours, within that time you have to provide 15 readings.

I’m curious to know has anyone taken part in trials before?

Have you seen the end results then introduced to the overall care of diabetics?

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    #1 Libby3781, Sep 24, 2018 at 9:11 AM
    Last edited: Sep 24, 2018
  2. Guzzler

Guzzler Type 2 · Master

Well done for taking an active role in tech research. Every little helps.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Jaylee

Jaylee Type 1 · Moderator
    Staff Member

Hi Libby,

Is this just an app on your existing personal Android phone, or a separately adapted device being trialed too?

• Like Like x 2
  4. Libby3781

Hi Jaylee

It’s an app I’ve been able to download to my existing android mobile.
    I initially had a few reservations, but I’ve been pleasantly surprised.
    Software downloaded easily, and is really easy to use.

You create a profile that includes:-

Name,address,date of birth, height & weight, & diabetes type (type 2, insulin dependent). Then you create login details, so in my case it’s email address I’m registered to for the trial and password.

Then each time I take a reading I open the software, press start.
    The camera light of the mobile then comes on and it asks me to put a finger over the camera.
    The software asks you to keep still as it takes the reading.
    It goes from 0% - 100%, obviously complete at 100%.
    After this is done, the software asks for a traditional reading.
    I therefore input the glucose reading I have from my traditional monitor.
    Then you submit everything you’ve just done.

Unfortunately, I don’t get access to the results as it’s a trial.

If I could follow this procedure in future rather than finger pricking, I’d be there immediately.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Jaylee

Staff Member

Hi again,

OK. Fascinating.. Do you see a BG result on your phone after the reading & does this correlate within a couple of fractions on your meter?

• Like Like x 1
  6. Libby3781

This is the only disappointing factor. I don’t get to see any of the results that the software on the mobile collects. However, due to the fact you also have to supply a traditional bg reading, that leads me to believe the company running the trial will do the comparison.

I suppose that’s quite normal really as they have to be sure of accuracy before the software could be readily available on the open market for all.

7. Jaylee

Staff Member

This may sound like a silly question.

Is there a specific finger (or maybe a choice of two.) one must use with the reading of the app?

Edited to tag in @Scott-C & @tim2000s who are clued up on BG tech developments.

• Like Like x 1
    #7 Jaylee, Sep 24, 2018 at 12:03 PM
    Last edited: Sep 24, 2018
  8. Libby3781

You have to use your index fingers for the purpose of the trial. I suppose by using the same finger consistently it will help with the overall results.

It’s a complete new learning curve for me. This is the first trial I’ve been accepted to be involved in.

9. tayelola

tayelola Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Would have loved to participate in the trials if Non- Insulin T2 were included. Hopefully someday the success of the current exercise may be the springboard for the inclusion of others. Thanks Libby3781 for the info. No doubt you'll keep us posted on further development.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Libby3781

Here is the link, https://bioepicstudies.com/. I believe the trials are still open. You’d have nothing to loose by applying. As far as I’m aware the trials don’t seem to have specifics with regards to what type diabetic you are. The trial I’ve been involved in has been focusing on the software primarily.

• Like Like x 1
  11. tayelola

tayelola Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Thanks for your immediate response. It appears as if the trials are meant for UK residents and yours truly resides in Nigeria. I look forward to the success of the exercise as it will be of tremendous benefit and save us the rigour of finger pricking.

• Like Like x 1
  12. tim2000s

tim2000s Type 1 · Expert
    Retired Moderator

I assume it's this one, https://epichealth.io/ which had a lot of fanfare last year and was suspposed to be launching a wide ranging trial early this year. They've gone extremely quiet, funnily enough....

Alongside this, their email domain has disappeared...

#12 tim2000s, Sep 26, 2018 at 10:29 AM
    Last edited: Sep 26, 2018
  13. Jc3131

Jc3131 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I had been accepted on the trial because im a t1 with an android phone. I filled numerous forms in and sent them off. They have just got back to me saying I was unsuccessful as they have enough people on the trial.

I'm probably being paranoid, but i feel this may have just been a ploy to get my details and info regarding my t1.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Libby3781

Sorry to hear that. Was it long ago? Do you remember the name of the company overseeing the trial. I think there’s a link in the thread somewhere of the company I’ve done my trial via. You might want to give them ago. You’d have nothing to loose if you still want to be involved in a trial using you’re mobile.

15. Scott-C

Scott-C Type 1 · Well-Known Member

There's a free book length pdf called "The Pursuit of Noninvasive Glucose: 'Hunting the Deceitful Turkey'".

It's an interesting read for anyone interested in the subject. Easy to find pdf donwnloads of it by googling.

The author, John L Smith, is an industry insider who has been closely involved in many attempts at finding a working noninvasive system.

It is, however, a dispiriting read for anyone looking for a quick solution. He outlines dozens of failed attempts, reckons that some of the visionaries involved have almost brainwashed themselves into believing their system will be the winner while blinding themselves to the obvious flaws and difficulties, and mentions schemes using technogy which have been funded and failed, and have then popped up again a while later using different wording and presentation and been funded and failed all over again.

I'm not ruling out the possibility that someone will make the pieces fit eventually, but, if I was a multi-millionaire looking to fund something T related, it wouldn't be noninvasive measuring.

16. Kbmagic

Kbmagic · Newbie

I have done a set of three trials with epic health on iPhone and had £150 for my troubles. So they are definitely a genuine company - they paid up very promptly. I would have happily done it for free but the money was fast and welcome.

17. Kbmagic

Kbmagic · Newbie

Index finger did not say which hand to use

18. Mr_Pot

Mr_Pot Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Can someone who has experience of how this works answer a possibly silly question? If you put your finger over the lens the image will be black, so do you have to have a bright light behind your finger or something?

19. Tipetoo

Tipetoo Type 2 · Expert

I think you would have to use the index finger that you are not using to hold the android device in.

20. Tipetoo

Tipetoo Type 2 · Expert

It's like the oximeters that read your heart rate and SPo2 levels on your fingure.

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook