Type 1'stars R Us

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Cumberland - In our local garden centre the other week, a lady with a mini Dackel, dressed in a knitted Santa coat, getting really freaked out by one of these today, which wasn't far off the same size as the dackel.

Based on his performance, I might not be counting on a guard dog!

Very cute puppy though. :)

Last edited:
Reactions: Cumberland

smc4761

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Greetings fellow colanders

Last 7 days have been decent BG wise, showing an average of 7.5, my best ever. Whats is pushing them higher is the huge spikes I get between breakfast and lunch. But by lunchtime BG are usually back to normal.

Tomorrow should be a fun day. I have my insulin pump assessment with the nurse. Think this will be where they explain a bit how it works.

I know someone did reply to this question earlier but I cant find it. On an insulin pump, think mine will be Medtronic 640, is it only Bolus insulin that is used, or is Basal required as well

TIA

Alison54321

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

Last 7 days have been decent BG wise, showing an average of 7.5, my best ever. Whats is pushing them higher is the huge spikes I get between breakfast and lunch. But by lunchtime BG are usually back to normal.

Tomorrow should be a fun day. I have my insulin pump assessment with the nurse. Think this will be where they explain a bit how it works.

I know someone did reply to this question earlier but I cant find it. On an insulin pump, think mine will be Medtronic 640, is it only Bolus insulin that is used, or is Basal required as well

TIA

As I understand it, it's one type of insulin, a fast acting one, but it plays the role of both a bolus, and a basal. In that you set the basal to give very small doses throughout the day, like a long acting basal insulin does, but it's not a different insulin, it's the same one, but just giving small amounts all day, as if it were a basal.

While, when you eat, you use the same insulin as a bolus, and give enough to deal with the carbs in the meal.

So instead of having two insulins, you have one insulin, but it acts as both basal, and bolus. You can set the basal to whatever works for you, throughout the day, so it's much more flexible.

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other

TIA
Fingers crossed it all goes well! And yes, you just use one type of insulin, a fast acting - I’m on Novorapid but I think @helensaramay is using FIASP. The pump dribbles it in tiny amounts at a time, 24h a day (at different rates to match when you need it), and then you do a top-up dose for food and corrections. It means you can make changes to your background on the fly, without having to wait a day for a change to take effect - it kicks in within an hour for me. Brilliant.

therower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Evening one and all.
I’ve had a fairly good day with the BS. A **** sight better than yesterday. Highs lows but nothing in between was yesterday’s theme.
Sitting here as a relatively happy bunny at the moment. Last day at work tomorrow before a lovely 2 week break. Plans for tomorrow are....do as little as possible, clean and strip the machine down and store away all the highly volatile substances we use. Hope to get all this done for about 11 a.m. just in time for the Christmas buffet. I’ll be trying my hardest to keep in range during and after the buffet ( who am I kidding? ).
@Cumberland . Banger looks a star. Amazing the interest a puppy can generate from the fairer sex;).
When i had a boxer puppy as a long haired, spotty youth back in the day, it was the only time that any female ever talked to me.:).
Off to prep crackers and cheese for me and the wife now. Bolused about 30 mins ago so hopefully all will remain flattish on the Dexcom.
Enjoy what’s left of the evening.

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Evening! Had a pretty poxy day on the BG front, think I’m going down with a chest infection. Wasn’t able to get below 7 all day, even with a 180% basal, so I rage-bolussed myself into a hypo. Will see if I can get some antibiotics sorted tomorrow, I’m coughing up purest green.

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
Aches and pain this morning. Darn, must be high BSL,, Oops, no, BSL snuck down to 3 mmol/l.
Oh well there goes that theory out the window. But ... aches better now that I am back in range.
I left the gap between bolus and food too long. (writes reminder to one's self). :banghead::banghead::banghead:

SueJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
cold weather
Morning everyone,
Woke weirdly early again and started flapping that I might be hypo, a quick prick showed madam at a rather balanced 4.4
Long may it continue, well for today at least and I'm really glad I don't have to drive this morning so I don't need to be force fed. Nice walk when the sun's up later. Off to the chemist to pick up prick stick supplies. Is it really Thursday?

kev-w

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Morning y'all, 8.9 waking and I'll never eat lemon cheesecake again, ever, as the 5u correction for the very small slice wasn't enough, although the ex took what was left home with her so it's not sitting in the fridge waving and winking at me anymore.
Mels cat to cakes :)
Child to the dentists at 09.15, non uniform day for her first secondary school disco :) her school's in the town, just round the corner from the dentists and I'm dreading the traffic straight after breakfast, I don't like my morning routine interfered with much :p

K

Knikki

Hope you have a stitch to wear @Knikki for the big going out to see the nurse. Fingers crossed that they are charming and result is good.

It should be interesting because according to this charming man I started the day at a 2.7 (blood check 4.0) run up to a 5.6 now in work sat with a 2.7 (think its really 4.0 but I have no blood test stick magic on me).

But as I am sat here doing naff all and only have a meeting to go to where I will sit there nod and go UG! it should like most meet very productive. :hilarious:

Office 2016? Useless over bloated piece of unnecessary junk :mad:

On side note last night vinyl, War of the Worlds - Justin Heyward, Grateful Dead not sure which album I have a couple, Bowie - Hero's, Skids - Days In Europe

Last edited by a moderator:

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Morning all, relatively smooth night but still running a 150% basal and coughing up revolting gack. Got an appointment with my GP at 11, so it’ll be a fairly dry Christmas assuming I get antibiotics! I might not mention the 1.1 ketones, as that’s normal for me with my way of eating ;) Actually feeling a bit better than yesterday, but I know how quickly these things can go downhill and land us in deep doodoo.

@Knikki - I do love a good vinyl session. Having to get off my backside to flip it every 25 minutes stops me from becoming too idle :D

porl69

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Stupid people
Good morning all. What a strange day yesterday was blood wise. Range went from Lo to 21. Xdrip line actually looks like a mountain range. Back to normal over night, went to bed on a 8 and woke to a 6. Straight lining to a 6.1 now. PLEASE continue on that line.
@Knikki I do love listening to vinyl but like @Mel dCP hate getting up to turn the record over lol

Alison54321

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Morning, blood sugar decided to go a bit high during the night, but wasn't too bad in the end, after a correction, or two, no idea why, just because, I suppose.

Been having an after breakfast spike for a while now, so I've attacked it more aggressively this morning, and see what happens.

Apart from that, I do have some vinyl still hiding in a corner, but only a very cheap turntable, and so don't play it much, as I fear for it's long term survival if I do.

Cumberland

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Foodwise Nuts & Mushrooms (Vomit)
Good morning all
Sensor change last night, new one had been soaking for 24 hours so pretty spot on from the beginning :) BUT (there is ALWAYS a but) BGs wouldn't come down from 10 before bed, didn't want to rage bolus so left it over night. Woke to an 11, no alarms which is weird....corrected with breakfast and now on a 10.6. Now I will start to rage bolus to get it down into single figures.

@Cumberland I meant to say AMAZING and not Amazon lol......bleeding auto-correct on phones!

LOL