Type 1'stars R Us

slip

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Again, ground hog day.........late on parade, a low mid morning, busy busy! However once things have settled here and everything has been checked to be working for a conference in the new year I'm off to our teams work christmas lunch and might not be back.......well that's the intention unless I get called back............if my phone has any charge left :p

BGLs have been reasonably well behaved.

Cumberland

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Foodwise Nuts & Mushrooms (Vomit)
@Cumberland - In our local garden centre the other week, a lady with a mini Dackel, dressed in a knitted Santa coat, getting really freaked out by one of these today, which wasn't far off the same size as the dackel.

Based on his performance, I might not be counting on a guard dog!

Very cute puppy though. :)

Hello

He’s already terrified of the hoover lol

We have been fortunate in that we have seen his parents and one of his Grandma’s when we have visited them a couple of times per week prior to collection date

The puppy is used to us handling stroking and playing with him at his birth home

In fact his parents and Grandma live 5 miles away the breeder is a nurse at the hospital where I used to work and we’re going to stay in touch and have doggy meet ups along with our puppies sister pup who lives a mile away from our house, her owners are keen to see the siblings and their doggy family too

The other siblings have gone a good distance away from Cumbria so unlikely to join family reunions

Cumberland

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Foodwise Nuts & Mushrooms (Vomit)
Evening! Had a pretty poxy day on the BG front, think I’m going down with a chest infection. Wasn’t able to get below 7 all day, even with a 180% basal, so I rage-bolussed myself into a hypo. Will see if I can get some antibiotics sorted tomorrow, I’m coughing up purest green.

Sounds nasty
I’m hoping you clear your chest well in time for Christmas

Reactions: Alison54321

Alison54321

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Phew done and dusted.....
Finished the reindeer project and raised over £600 for the blood bikes Manchester charity.
Not been here for a week or two as I've just been mad busy.

Hope everyone is well.

Tony

£600 that's pretty impressive, well done. I'm sure those lovely reindeers all went to good homes.

karen8967

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Good day my friend
What are you off over the festive season?

Last year I worked 12 hour shifts on Christmas Day and Boxing Day

Was off for New Years Day

I don’t have to work any of them now
aw cumbs im working all of them cos its part of my working week but only in till 12 so not too bad and its double time not allowed holidays between 25th dec /1st jan not too bothered cos were ogonna go see grandsons when i finish and then off to tommys sons for dinner so all good .it will be the 1st xmas i havent cooked cant wait .:happy::joyful:

smc4761

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Greeting fellow teabags, hope you have all had a good day.

Well had my visit to DSN to go through the insulin pump and how it worked etc. it all seems fairly complicated if I am honest, but like most new things it will be at the start. I am now officially on waiting list.:woot::woot::woot::woot:

They run pump clinics every month and the soonest I can get taken will be February but it may be later. Go along for 1/2 day get given a pump filled with sterile water shown how it works, play with for week then come back a week later. After that its a full day, followed by another 1/2 day followed by a check up in month then 3 months so pretty thorough

With my late onset dawn phenomenon causing these big spikes in morning she thinks I will benefit greatly from pump

Almost certainly it will be Medtronic 640G although they have a few new pumps they are thinking of trialling

So sent away armed with leaflets/booklets to read up on. Now to jump onto Youtube and see what is there as well

DSN did however shout at me a little, for running too many hypos, which is the first time I have ever been told I am running low, normally its the opposite-- she was really nice about it though. I have been putting in the effort recently though and my average BG for past 14 days has been 7.4, according to Libre, a new low for me, but still way higher than many of you guys.

hh1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Phew done and dusted.....
Finished the reindeer project and raised over £600 for the blood bikes Manchester charity.
Not been here for a week or two as I've just been mad busy.

Hope everyone is well.

Tony
That's brilliant, well done you!

I've now received my copy of the letter the diabetes consultant sent to my GP after my first consultant visit in years. Further joy! Best ever report, very detailed, all accurate. And an open invitation to get in touch if I need any help, eg can't sort the post-breakfast rise and the after morning walk hypo, both far too frequent and which he recorded precisely. What a change from some consultants in the past.

K

Knikki

@Tony337 Well done on the reindeer and the money raised, will toast you later on at some point over the weekend when the bottle of, which ever gets opened first, Wine/Vodka or Damson Gin.

Well that was interesting chat with the Etch A Sketch lady, she asked "are you sure your a diabetic?" reply "I was last time I looked" :hilarious: it seems my Hb1Ac is 39 from about two weeks ago, pleased with that.

She did ask if "I was hypoing?" to which I replied that I do run low a lot of the time, then she asked "if is was eating OK and enjoying life" to which I had to confess to the chocolate, cake, mince pies and basically nothing is off the menu, which she seemed very surprised about.

So she is happy not to see me till some point next year and let my regular DSN see me in March.

I am happy but still running mid table :)

CranberryIce

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@Knikki thats awesome on the a1c- they used the ‘you must be having lots of lows’ with me too. grrr

I was never interested in a pump- didn’t want a constant reminder....

But now I have better control and seen how gadgets like that Miaomiao and the Libre have helped me gain better control I too will be asking for a pump at my next appointment (Mid Jan). I know the CCG/local budget is rubbish but worth a try!

I was asked to consider a pump a year and a half ago and I point blank refused- my control was all over the place then, so I didn’t feel I was ready for it and in all honestly had no idea what it could mean for my control. Learnt a lot from this forum and other social media platforms.

I will make sure I am familiar with the criteria before I go in to that appointment.

Part of me also thinks that it just depends on which consultant I see on the day. Its a shame but I never get to see the same consultant which is really frustrating. They seem to come and go.

Scott-C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I had a genuinely heartwarming chat with an office colleague yesterday.

She's T1 too, from the same generation as me where we were just taught to think about those old fashioned Carbohydrate Exchanges and Digestive biscuits and that was about it, none of this fancy pre-bolusing or anything like that.

We're in different departments on different floors, so we rarely see each other, but I bumped into her yesterday in passing, and she said she'd done the DAFNE course a week or two back and absolutely loved it!

She was totally fired up about it, really enthusiastic about all the new things she'd learned, how she'd realised the importance of basal testing, getting carb counting a lot sharper, not overtreating hypos and so on, and rethinking things she'd been doing for years.

I think there's a lot of us from that generation when things were more basic, we were more or less left to fend for ourselves, and we sort of missed the newer techniques coming in.

Having gotten a lot out of DAFNE myself a couple of years ago, it was really good seeing how engaged she felt about it, like a new chapter in T1 life had just opened!

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Evening! Got mahoosive antibiotics from the doc, she said apparently there is some gack on my left lung and I was right to have gone. She asked if I had ketones - they were at 1.1 this morning so I said so - slight raise of eyebrow until I said I ate minimal carb so that’s normal for me. She said that I was clearly doing something right, looking at my HbA1c :) BG back in range for about the first time today, been 7s and 8s until now :(

Did five hours on call as a first responder this afternoon, but no business for us today. So I did some crochet in the car...

Scott-C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Did five hours on call as a first responder this afternoon, but no business for us today. So I did some crochet in the car...

Fess up, Mel, you're waiting for the day when you get that call - "Code red, code red, we got a bleeder!"

bleeder.jpg

smc4761

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I had a genuinely heartwarming chat with an office colleague yesterday.

She's T1 too, from the same generation as me where we were just taught to think about those old fashioned Carbohydrate Exchanges and Digestive biscuits and that was about it, none of this fancy pre-bolusing or anything like that.

We're in different departments on different floors, so we rarely see each other, but I bumped into her yesterday in passing, and she said she'd done the DAFNE course a week or two back and absolutely loved it!

She was totally fired up about it, really enthusiastic about all the new things she'd learned, how she'd realised the importance of basal testing, getting carb counting a lot sharper, not overtreating hypos and so on, and rethinking things she'd been doing for years.

I think there's a lot of us from that generation when things were more basic, we were more or less left to fend for ourselves, and we sort of missed the newer techniques coming in.

Having gotten a lot out of DAFNE myself a couple of years ago, it was really good seeing how engaged she felt about it, like a new chapter in T1 life had just opened!

Hi @Scott-C have to agree with your post and my own experience of, in our area, the ADAPT course. I was also diabetic for 37 years before going on course and had pretty much not bothered a great deal with. The course has toatlly fired me up, and by attending the course this meant I met criteria for Libre which has also fired me up.

If you get a chance to go on this course I can recommend it no matter what stage you are at in your type 1 life

porl69

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Stupid people
Greeting fellow teabags, hope you have all had a good day.

Well had my visit to DSN to go through the insulin pump and how it worked etc. it all seems fairly complicated if I am honest, but like most new things it will be at the start. I am now officially on waiting list.:woot::woot::woot::woot:

They run pump clinics every month and the soonest I can get taken will be February but it may be later. Go along for 1/2 day get given a pump filled with sterile water shown how it works, play with for week then come back a week later. After that its a full day, followed by another 1/2 day followed by a check up in month then 3 months so pretty thorough

With my late onset dawn phenomenon causing these big spikes in morning she thinks I will benefit greatly from pump

Almost certainly it will be Medtronic 640G although they have a few new pumps they are thinking of trialling

So sent away armed with leaflets/booklets to read up on. Now to jump onto Youtube and see what is there as well

DSN did however shout at me a little, for running too many hypos, which is the first time I have ever been told I am running low, normally its the opposite-- she was really nice about it though. I have been putting in the effort recently though and my average BG for past 14 days has been 7.4, according to Libre, a new low for me, but still way higher than many of you guys.
Brilliant news. You now know you will be pumping early next year