Stop cancelling my insulin!!!

pab99c

Just a rant to make me feel better. I’m in the uk and I’m a t1 and I order all my repeat prescriptions online, collect them from boots. Nice and easy. I get 5 sticks of novorapid at time which lasts me about a month.

Except.. every now and then my GP/doctors surgery cancel and decline my repeat for insulin because:

A) they want to speak to me about something and by cancelling my insulin they know this ‘gets my attention’ so I contact them
Or
B) they’ve randomly decided that I’ve had enough insulin this month so I don’t need anymore for a while. (Even though it’s prescribed as ‘when required’)

This gets me sooo mad. It’s hard enough being completely at the mercy of a gp and pharmacy every month but when they cancel because they want to speak to me or I have a review coming up so decide I can’t have any insulin until I have a review - this just ridiculous!

Insulin isn’t something to ‘cancel’ for a t1 diabetic living from month to month at their prescription mercy. GPs should know better.

Anyone else a T1 and get messed around with your insulin repeats or is it just me??!

Grrrr.

Ok rant over. Better check if I’m high. :)

Tom.thomas61

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Just a rant to make me feel better. I’m in the uk and I’m a t1 and I order all my repeat prescriptions online, collect them from boots. Nice and easy. I get 5 sticks of novorapid at time which lasts me about a month.

Except.. every now and then my GP/doctors surgery cancel and decline my repeat for insulin because:

A) they want to speak to me about something and by cancelling my insulin they know this ‘gets my attention’ so I contact them
Or
B) they’ve randomly decided that I’ve had enough insulin this month so I don’t need anymore for a while. (Even though it’s prescribed as ‘when required’)

This gets me sooo mad. It’s hard enough being completely at the mercy of a gp and pharmacy every month but when they cancel because they want to speak to me or I have a review coming up so decide I can’t have any insulin until I have a review - this just ridiculous!

Insulin isn’t something to ‘cancel’ for a t1 diabetic living from month to month at their prescription mercy. GPs should know better.

Anyone else a T1 and get messed around with your insulin repeats or is it just me??!

Grrrr.

Ok rant over. Better check if I’m high. :)
Mine is the same, they used to say I am using much more than another diabetic they have at there surgery....

Reactions: kev-w and Freema

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
On the face of it this sounds incredible. Have they been trying to get you to make an appointment with them without success? That is the only reason I can think of as to why they would 'cancel' your repeat prescription insulin, in an effort to see you about some concerns. Do they not see you on a regular basis to discuss your diabetes?, ie for your blood tests and 1ac tests, etc? As for Tom's post, that astounds me, how ignorant must his GP/DN be to compare one's usage with another person? I doubt very much that they have decided you have 'had enough' for one month, have you asked them the reason? The only circumstance I can think of where they might do this is if they suspect somebody is abusing their insulin in some way, not for a 'normal' insulin user. In answer to your question, I have not had any issues with my repeat insulin requirements although if for example, I suddenly asked for 3 times as much I would expect to be contacted as they might think I was stockpiling, selling it or overdosing!

pab99c

Hi thanks for the responses. This time around it’s because I was due to schedule my annual review and I hadn’t responded to their letter within 1 week. So they refused to allow any repeats to go through online until I phoned them for an appointment.

It feels like they occasionally withhold insulin as a technique to ensure I phone them.

Other times are just a mystery until I phone and complain and reorder.

It happens about once every 3 months or so.

P.

Reactions: Alison54321

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi thanks for the responses. This time around it’s because I was due to schedule my annual review and I hadn’t responded to their letter within 1 week. So they refused to allow any repeats to go through online until I phoned them for an appointment.

It feels like they occasionally withhold insulin as a technique to ensure I phone them.

Other times are just a mystery until I phone and complain and reorder.

It happens about once every 3 months or so.

P.

It sounds almost like blackmail! I would make an official complaint if they won't tell you why they are doing this, it is clearly causing you stress and that is hardly likely to help your health. x

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
My understanding is that surgeries are required to conduct medication reviews, and have penalties if they do not do so. I think they are also prevented from continuing the prescription if a review to too overdue.
Reviews are also necessary to check that the prescription is still appropriate, and not wasting NHS resources.

I know on the face of it, a T1 is always going to need insulin, but there is so much more to take into account. A medication review allows the surgery to see that how the patient is doing, and allows an assessment of the whole situation. It is an opportunity for the patient to make requests for changes, discuss issues (such as whether all those lancets are really necessary), and is a way for the surgery to 'prove' that they haven't just let a patient disappear for years with a potentially lethal medication with no monitoring at all. Remember, they are not always informed of every decision made by a consultant or clinic.

Reviews are built into the NICE guidelines

https://www.nice.org.uk/guidance/qs120/chapter/quality-statement-6-structured-medication-review

https://www.sps.nhs.uk/wp-content/u...CCG-Medication-Review-Practice-Guide-2014.pdf

https://ebpcooh.org.uk/get-your-medicines-reviewed/

therower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@pab99c . Fully understand your annoyance.
I’ve recently moved to a new area and I’m currently experiencing problems each and every time I take a repeat prescription in.
Last instance... asked for test strips and insulin. Went to nominated pharmacy and they only had order from GP for strips.
A rapid visit to GP and receptionist couldn’t explain what had happened but said she would make a note and if I returned the following week I should get my prescription.
I explained that after 28 yrs of doing this sh*t I knew how the system works and demanded a prescription there and then. She did say it wasn’t possible, nonetheless I had the prescription within 5 minutes. Stay calm, don’t be aggressive, talk slowly and talk loud enough to attract attention.
At this point in time I am giving the surgery until after Christmas to get things sorted. They are fully aware of this and if last time is anything to go by, they don’t like me questioning their downfalls in public.
We wait and see the outcome.
Good luck at your surgery, hopefully we can both be happy T1’s in the New Year.

mahola

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Our GP removed mine and my daughter's insulin from our scripts completely. According to the receptionist it's due to the nhs saving money... What by killing their patients off? Haha. I went straight to the surgery and refused to move until it was sorted. They threatened to call the police. I told them they can call the queen herself for all i care. It was sorted after about 10 minutes

therower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Our GP removed mine and my daughter's insulin from our scripts completely. According to the receptionist it's due to the nhs saving money... What by killing their patients off? Haha. I went straight to the surgery and refused to move until it was sorted. They threatened to call the police. I told them they can call the queen herself for all i care. It was sorted after about 10 minutes
Perhaps you could use it more sparingly :):):):):):):):):).

becca59

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

I know it’s not funny,but your, “what by killing their patients off!”still has me laughing out loud.

becca59

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Find this whole thread interesting. My type 1 brother, same city, different Gp has hassle with his prescriptions. Me no bother and NEVER had a review.

slip

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
It happened to me once (reschedule review got put back well past 12 months between reviews) - not had an issue since, nothing I said just so happens reviews have been around the 12 month mark. As to why it happens every 3 months for @pab99c though is a bit of a mystery - I feel your pain.

therower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@mahola . To much information :wideyed::wideyed::wideyed:.
The WELL pharmacies seem to be the most inept.
Me. “ Excuse me but this is the wrong insulin “
Pharmacist. “ Tut “

Pharmacist. “ Have you used insulin before?”
Me. “Yes”
Pharmacist. “ Oh, well make sure you keep it in the fridge “

Pharmacist. “ Can we do a medication review? “
Me. “ Okay. “
Pharmacist. “Do you know why you have to inject your Lantus? “
Me. In my head “ For ***** sake why did I say okay?”

Bluey1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People who try and make Diabetes the centre of the party and poor me, I'm special because I have diabetes now everyone run around after me.
Does the Surgery try and contact you guys well before they cut off supply? If not find another surgery. No matter what keep a spare months supply in the fridge.

I got my resupply a few days ago, in Australia we get 5 packs of 5 pens on a script. The Pharmacist put a label on each box, then a sticker, use as prescribed by your Dr, then a sticker keep refrigerated, a sticker last repeat (we only get one repeat) all the time telling me about each new sticker. I told her stop as she was putting yet another sticker keep away from children. She said "I have to or I will get in trouble" on closer inspection of her name badge I saw Student and a qualified Pharmacist then rechecked the prescription. I now know how to get a pharmacy degree, be really good at kinder sticker art.

Chickenboy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
This is disgraceful behaviour from your gp surgery. I would be tempted to report them to the general medical Council. Essentially they are saying unless you attend a medical review we are going to kill you! This isn't blackmail it is holding your life to ransom! I don't think people appreciate that without insulin t1ds will be dead within a few days. I also make sure that I stockpile 3 months of insulin for exactly these kind of circumstances - as well as Brexit obviously!!

kev-w

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
My understanding is that surgeries are required to conduct medication reviews, and have penalties if they do not do so. I think they are also prevented from continuing the prescription if a review to too overdue.
Reviews are also necessary to check that the prescription is still appropriate, and not wasting NHS resources.

I know on the face of it, a T1 is always going to need insulin, but there is so much more to take into account. A medication review allows the surgery to see that how the patient is doing, and allows an assessment of the whole situation. It is an opportunity for the patient to make requests for changes, discuss issues (such as whether all those lancets are really necessary), and is a way for the surgery to 'prove' that they haven't just let a patient disappear for years with a potentially lethal medication with no monitoring at all. Remember, they are not always informed of every decision made by a consultant or clinic.

Reviews are built into the NICE guidelines

https://www.nice.org.uk/guidance/qs120/chapter/quality-statement-6-structured-medication-review

https://www.sps.nhs.uk/wp-content/u...CCG-Medication-Review-Practice-Guide-2014.pdf

https://ebpcooh.org.uk/get-your-medicines-reviewed/

In my opinion as a long term T1 that's a load of rubbish as we're entitled to our meds as and when needed. Very poor advice from a mod

My advice would be to go to the surgery and demand the prescription for the meds you need and don't move till you get it, but then I go all militant when having to deal with systems.

Last edited:

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bigotry, reliance on unsupported 'facts', unkindness, unfairness.
In my opinion as a long term T1 that's a load of rubbish as we're entitled to our meds as and when needed. Very poor advice from a mod

My advice would be to go to the surgery and demand the prescription for the meds you need and don't move till you get it, but then I go all militant when having to deal with systems.

I reckon it’s a sign of the times: following regulations, getting the funding, being ruled by the Big Brother of Admin, ticking boxes, relying on the programmers, etc etc, has slain independent thought.
I reckon the surgeries know that they have to do all this stuff to ensure their survival and there may also be different Accountancy systems at work.
If you listen to many political statements in response to suggestions that the NHS and Social Systems are broken they mainly talk of the amount of money awarded.
It’s the cost of everything and the value of nothing.