Type 1'stars R Us

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Went for my eye test, and my glasses need reglazing with weaker lenses as my eyes have improved a little. For both long distance and close up. Even better is that the retinopathy and maculopathy my last screening picked up has healed! So the ophthalmology hospital appointment I have next month doesn’t seem quite so terrifying now, apparently my eyes are in great shape :)

Scott-C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I decided yesterday to celebrate the winter solstice, somehow. After thinking about it, I'm going to try going up Calton Hill to see it I can see the sunset over the castle, not sure this will work, but can only try.

If you're in town in April, I'd highly recommend a trot up Calton Hill for Beltane.

https://beltane.org/about/about-beltane/

It's a bunch of middle class hippies pretending to be pagans, but it's a darned good show.

The May Queen processes around the hill to welcome in summer.

There's several thousand people, darkness, fire, drums, alcohol, partial nudity on a steep hill - surprisingly, nothing goes wrong!

A few years back, a woman who was Scottish but had grown up in Canada with her parents as ex-pats came back home to build a new life here, turned up in my local, and I ended up being tasked with showing her our strange Edinburgh ways.

Took her to Beltane, lovely clear night with the moon over the Forth, drums hammering away, the National Monument lit up with the bonfire, a hipflask of Edradour, and it brought a tear to my eye when she said, "this is the best city on the planet".

7424220394_b43032a7ae_b2.jpg

beltane-2-ove-hansen.jpg

SueJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
cold weather
Went for my eye test, and my glasses need reglazing with weaker lenses as my eyes have improved a little. For both long distance and close up. Even better is that the retinopathy and maculopathy my last screening picked up has healed! So the ophthalmology hospital appointment I have next month doesn’t seem quite so terrifying now, apparently my eyes are in great shape :)
@Mel dCP Great present for December and onwards

Reactions: porl69

Alison54321

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
If you're in town in April, I'd highly recommend a trot up Calton Hill for Beltane.

https://beltane.org/about/about-beltane/

It's a bunch of middle class hippies pretending to be pagans, but it's a darned good show.

The May Queen processes around the hill to welcome in summer.

There's several thousand people, darkness, fire, drums, alcohol, partial nudity on a steep hill - surprisingly, nothing goes wrong!

A few years back, a woman who was Scottish but had grown up in Canada with her parents as ex-pats came back home to build a new life here, turned up in my local, and I ended up being tasked with showing her our strange Edinburgh ways.

Took her to Beltane, lovely clear night with the moon over the Forth, drums hammering away, the National Monument lit up with the bonfire, a hipflask of Edradour, and it brought a tear to my eye when she said, "this is the best city on the planet".

View attachment 30178

View attachment 30179

Does sound interesting............if my unsociable temperament has reduced sufficiently by April, I might take a look, though living very close to the Pleasance my ability to handle a lot of middle aged hippies in one place reduces every August. But I might............

Reactions: SueJB

Scott-C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
though living very close to the Pleasance my ability to handle a lot of middle aged hippies in one place reduces every August.

Lol, yes, I enjoyed the Festival a lot when I was younger, but now it's increasingly tedious having to put up with precious, precocious people trying to be "zany" and 'amusing" for a whole month while getting in my way at the bar.

I actually heard one of them in a bar in Rose Street last Festival say, "ooh, I'm not going to try any of the local beers, they'll be like ditchwater, give me a Stella."

Give me strength....

Reactions: Alison54321

Alison54321

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Lol, yes, I enjoyed the Festival a lot when I was younger, but now it's increasingly tedious having to put up with precious, precocious people trying to be "zany" and 'amusing" for a whole month while getting in my way at the bar.

I actually heard one of them in a bar in Rose Street last Festival say, "ooh, I'm not going to try any of the local beers, they'll be like ditchwater, give me a Stella."

Give me strength....

Some of the young ones doing it for the first time are quite sweet, and I think it must be a real confidence building experience for them. But I do feel guilty about all the promises I make to leafleters about going to see their shows, when I know full well I won't.

Reactions: Cumberland

kev-w

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
The trouble with the festive season for me seems to be the quantity of red meat appearing :) I can feel my cholesterol level going up just looking at it, but I've decided to cook a mousakka from scratch at some point when I find aubergines so got a couple of 500g packs of lamb mince with a massive smoked bacon pack on offer, I got some sausages too for pigs in blankets :) so roll on a couple of weeks of gluttony :p :p

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
Morning all, took 8 units of Levemir last night, instead of 7, and just about got through the night without going out of my target range. Seems as if, with the Levemir, I need to take an extra unit once it's about two thirds empty, I don't know how many weeks that is, only a couple I think. With this one I've put it back in the fridge straight after using it, but the same thing seems to have happened.

I'll use it for a couple more days, because 8 units seems to be ok, but it does feel a bit wasteful. Oh well, if I took a higher dose I'd use it up faster, so it's just how it is, I suppose.
Hi @Alison54321, so are you taking Levemir once daily or twice daily??

Reactions: Alison54321

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
Morning teabags, looks like we are mainly having a good day with BG

I was at my pump assessment on Thursday at lunchtime and got the go ahead for a pump sometime in new year. Now I think my body has heard this and thought hold on a mo what about your MDI, you should stick with us and not go on that silly pump thing. :joyful::joyful::joyful::joyful: Why, cos ever since Thursday lunchtime my BG have been almost perfect, well perfect for me. Not really moved much stayed between 6.1 and 8.2, had no crazy morning spikes like I always get. Even last night drank a bottle of plonk, which normally puts my BG way up, but no went to bed at 6.4, overnight dropped to 6.1 and woke to 6.7

My Libre for the 7 day average is showing 7.1, which for me is unheard of, my lowest ever by far. I normally sit at 8.1--8.5 with the very occasional 7.8--7.9

Sure I will have jinxed this now:angelic:
Hi @smc4761, The power of the mind is a wonderful thing for our BSLs at times !!

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
Perhaps this is the start of the robot takeover, and there is a secret world where libres communicate with each other, and plot against us humans.
Quick, write up a script and send it off to the BBC!!!

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
Morning all, Libre still says I’m dead, blood and spike have me in the mid fours. New sensor to fire up this morning.

Going to the optician later, I had my current glasses in February, but because my HbA1c has improved so much since then (89 —-> 37), my vision isn’t so sharp with them.

Might go out on a first responder shift later if I can get a buddy, also planning to bake low carb Christmas cake, shortbread and mince pies. Hope you all have a lovely day :)
Ha! Add to first responder handbook, if patient has flatline, check Libre battery before proceeding !!

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
Morning where's the YAWN icon when you need it.

Out in the pub last night for our usual "finished work and last year can kiss my a55 goodbye" meal.

Work at 2:00am Etch A Sketch so raged bolus (thanks for that @Mel dCP ) now sat here with Etch A Sketch telling me lies :shifty: at 11.7 but bloods 8.7

So onwards and every where really :hilarious:
? Moral of the story: More cake, less pubs? The original Etch A sketch was invented by a Frenchman, also a renowned kite maker. Sadly he died several years ago so who knows what will happen? - though I read somewhere that the original design was making a come-back, such an unlikely event in the technically advancing world !!

Alison54321

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @Alison54321, so are you taking Levemir once daily or twice daily??

Twice a day. I've kept the morning does the same, because the loss of effectiveness is swallowed up by adjustments for food intake, so it doesn't matter as much. But when I get a gentle overnight peak in the low sevens from 7 units, for the first two weeks of a new levemir pen, it's very frustrating when it starts creeping higher. 8 is now having more or less the same effect.

It's interesting how much easier it is to see this effect with libre.