1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2020 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Type 1'stars R Us

Discussion in 'Type 1 Diabetes' started by Robinredbreast, Jun 10, 2018.

1. hh1

hh1 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Can't wait to see those!

• Funny Funny x 1
  2. Jaylee

Jaylee Type 1 · Moderator
    Staff Member

Deepfried.... Wasn't that one of Elvis's faves..? ;)

• Like Like x 1
  3. smc4761

smc4761 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

4. Diakat

Diakat Type 1 · Moderator
    Staff Member

@DCUKMod Sadly her gifts not his.

I'll have to go with having has @Jaylee 's chip surgically removed for security.

@Scott-C as I don't eat meat I'll have to serve them to family. Do you think sage and onion will match?

5. Fairygodmother

Fairygodmother Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Afternoon all, him indoors has been getting last minute things for the Christmas fish and chips - he was very tempted by an air fryer too but luckily didn’t get it, not sure where it’d be stored in our small kitchen! Already got the booze, the fruit, the nuts fresh picked and brought from Greece (Yes, I like squirrels), and water? Not sure how much, tea, coffee, plain . . . a goodly amount.

• Like Like x 2
  6. CranberryIce

CranberryIce Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Afternoon all :)

Nice catching up on everyones posts.

No rain here yet... but dull and dark clouds...

Another day indoors. Fluffy socks and pjz kind of day. Babysitting the niece later- crafts and a movie planned.

Been steady between 5-6, not sure how long that is going to last as hubby has opened a box of Maltesers....

• Like Like x 3
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  7. CranberryIce

Ooo I am in the mood for making biscuits/shortbread...

Most days I drink 2-3 litres. When I say most days, I mean when I am at work (no hot drinks at our desk policy) so it makes it easier to drink more water. It took me a while to build this up.

I struggle at home and don’t drink anywhere as near as much- although I am getting better.

8. Jaylee

Jaylee Type 1 · Moderator
    Staff Member

Nothing so dramatic as surgery. Just a question of releasing the strap holding it to my ankle.. ;):D

• Like Like x 1
  9. karen8967

karen8967 Type 1 · Expert

FB_IMG_1544025733133.jpg

• Like Like x 2
  10. LooperCat

LooperCat Type 1 · Expert

V little to report here, my low carb baking worked out well! BG behaving, although my solitary parsnip on the 25th will no doubt ruin that ;) Just braved the horror of a food shop, popping out to see a friend to leave the gouty, broken armed husband alone to wrap his stuff.

I grew up in Somerset :)

• Like Like x 2
  11. SueJB

SueJB Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I've just finished making my sugarless version of marzipankartoffeln @CranberryIce . Magically easy and yes clearly a bit naughty with 2 tbsp of Cointreau but ooh ooh ooh, ground almonds at their best, brilliant little balls, dusted with cocoa and cinnamon.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  12. DCUKMod

DCUKMod I reversed my Type 2 · Master
    Staff Member Administrator

Hi Sue - Did you use a particular recipe for the marzipankartoffeln, please?

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. hh1

hh1 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

@Mel dCP I didn't! I'm an escapee Londoner, here for 27 years now and never going back to the smoke. Whereabouts, Mel? Just curious; I think pretty much most of this county is wonderful in some very different ways. I could work for the tourist board, no problem!

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. Scott-C

Scott-C Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Ooh, this could be as controversial as the recent, "what do you have on your chips" posts!

I'm going to go with @Diakat ,s eminently sensible suggestion of sage and onion stuffing.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. LooperCat

A little village just outside Bridgwater. Whereabouts are you?

Gonna need that marzipan recipe @SueJB - I love the stuff and it’s about the only thing missing from my festive feasting! Except meat. And cheese. And carbs.. ;)

16. Japes

Japes LADA · Well-Known Member

Carol service is all done for another year. Crib Service, Midnight Mass and Christmas Morning to go. For organist's duties, that is.

This will be my first Christmas doing this marathon set of services on insulin . So, there will be peculiar times of night for me to be up and about, and some services clashing with my late afternoon low spot. It would be a year when the services are all close together.

I've got Sunday Mornings more or less sorted on the "Let's NOT have a hypo on the organ stool because you've overcompensated for the lack of activity with too much insulin, thank you." front as well as the "Let's not be grouchy because you're hyper on the grounds you don't want a hypo on the organ stool" front but clearly the Carol Service sent me off on a stress hyper by the time we'd finished. That pre-tea 11.2 was unnecessary, in my humble opinion. It's come down now after a brisk walk.

• Hug Hug x 3
  17. SueJB

SueJB Type 1 · Well-Known Member

@Mel dCP so it's not marzipan but nearly. Easy 200g almond flour (hohohoho aka ground almonds) That sugar substitute, erythritol.... you have to use your own judgement as to how sweet you like it. 2 tbsp Cointreau or what ever takes your fancy and more if it doesn't squidge. Mix and squidge into smaller then sprout size balls, squeeeeeeeeeeeeeze to make them nice and solid. Mix together cocoa powder and some ground cinnamon.. balance to suit yourself. Roll the balls in the stuff and put on a plate to dry a bit, settle and be nice. Eat. This is the original recipe
    https://www.thespruceeats.com/traditional-german-christmas-candy-recipe-1446759
    Mine are disappearing, might make a photo shoot tomorrow:hilarious::hilarious::hilarious:

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  18. LooperCat

Thank you! I just bought a kilo of almond flour, I have erythritol, and I’ve got whiskey. I might dip them in melted 95% chocklit...

• Like Like x 2
  19. karen8967

karen8967 Type 1 · Expert

Goodnight everyone sleep well

20. CranberryIce

@SueJB Not really a marzipan fan but clicked on the link and they look good! Glad you can use rose water instead of liqueur as I can’t have alcohol :)

@Mel dCP- dipping them chocolate sounds good too! Although I am out of almond flour (used the last part on my low carb shortbread- which I am currently waiting for to cool) and also out of dark chocolate . I have been indulging this week. Where did you pick up a kilo from? I can only ever find small bags in my local supermarket.

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook