Type 1 Diabetics: How often do you pee?

Hi all,

I've been a type 1 Diabetic for just over 2 years now, and I'm finding that on some days, I am needing to urinate on almost an hourly basis (admittedly, my blood sugars have been a little high recently), is this normal for a diabetic?

I've also been noticing recently that I often experience very sudden urges to pee, where the feeling of "needing to go" seems to come on very suddenly and strongly.

Again, how normal if this for a type 1 diabetic? What might be a possible cause of this?

Any responses would be much appreciated.

Andrew :)

Reactions: kitedoc
D

Deleted Account

For me it is a symptom for high BG.
If my BG is under control, my bladder is ok.

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
Hi all,

I've been a type 1 Diabetic for just over 2 years now, and I'm finding that on some days, I am needing to urinate on almost an hourly basis (admittedly, my blood sugars have been a little high recently), is this normal for a diabetic?

I've also been noticing recently that I often experience very sudden urges to pee, where the feeling of "needing to go" seems to come on very suddenly and strongly.

Again, how normal if this for a type 1 diabetic? What might be a possible cause of this?

Any responses would be much appreciated.

Andrew :)

I would agree that the frequent peeing is most likely a sigh of high blood sugar, but are you also feeling thirsty ? The two should go together. If not, then it may well be another issue altogether and you should see a doctor.

Other possibilities that come to mind are prostate issues and/or a urinary tract infection?

On second thoughts, please see a doctor. Every hour is too frequent even for someone with high blood sugars. (Undiagnosed with blood sugars of 30, maybe, but you'd be desperately thirsty as well.) You're too young for prostate issues to be "normal", and needing to pee every hour requires doctor consultation at any age. Good luck.

Reactions: Dodo and Pasha

SamJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Yep, same as the others, when I’ve got high BGs I need to go more often and more urgently. Classic symptom.

Jollymon

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Not having good chocolate, and not cycling
How much are you drinking? The more you drink, the more you pee. I believe in hydration, so I drink a lot. And then pee too. My blood sugar control is considered as very, very good. Normal ranges is what I shoot for as a t1.

newcamili

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi, I could keep my sugar under control, but pee a lot. I have kidney stone, so I think it is the main reason...

Jollymon

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Not having good chocolate, and not cycling
Hi, I could keep my sugar under control, but pee a lot. I have kidney stone, so I think it is the main reason...

I can make kidney stones too, which is a reason I amp up on hydration.

Benny G

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Drink a lot, pee a lot. High blood glucose.

I go every 6 to 8 hours. I drink when thirsty.

Bluey1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People who try and make Diabetes the centre of the party and poor me, I'm special because I have diabetes now everyone run around after me.
Count me in as well. Hi BGL = lots of peeing. Before diagnosis it was once or twice a day. I got D as an adult so I was able to fight off going to the dr for about 3 weeks. I couldn’t keep count, but was over 44 times a day with a HbA1c of 17.8%. Except over Christmas (I’m not Diabetic over Christmas) I have quite good control and only pee 2 to 3 times a day?

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
From personal experience not as professional advice or opinion: In Australia at the moment with temps 36 degrees C plus in the day and 25 degrees plus at night the concern is not peeing enough. Dehydration can do that.
Having high BSLs in such heat is a disaster waiting to happen as you can end up trying to drink fluid all the time and the sicker you get the more difficult it is to keep the fluids up.
I have heard that a virus or bacterial infection can cause inflammation of the urethra, the end part of the tube through which the urine passes and the stinging leads to passing some amounts of urine frequently. With high BSLs the amount passed are in the 100's of mls usually. (um, personal observation only).
A relative was diagnosed with prostatic cancer last year. From the information he received I gather that as the prostate grows as males age (not necessarily due to cancer) the gland grows inward around the urethra as well as outwards, just below the outlet from the bladder.. The inward growth makes it more difficult to empty one's bladder as the restriction causes the need for higher pressures/ Often some urine is left behind so that the bladder fills up more quickly again. So less urine passed each time, shorter time between pees.