Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi All,

This is addressed to everyone (not just the low carbers) who have fallen off their wagon over Xmas.
Doesn’t matter what particular wagon it is.

Every year we get posters who go AWOL around this time year. Could be the roasties, the Tin of Quality St, the extra special superdooper family recipe eggnog...
Whatever the cause, they disappear. Starts as one day, then it grows, and grows... amazing how far ‘just one more’ will take you.
Sometimes it can last til April, if you let it.

Well, I am encouraging you to get that meter back out.
Stop buying your version of kryptonite (whatever your brand of kryptonite happens to be).
And just keep reading and posting on the forum.
You will find you are very much NOT alone, and that clambering back on your particular wagon is really much easier when you aren’t going it alone.

Don’t feel guilty.
Don’t feel ashamed.
Just keep in touch.
:D
We’ve all been there.

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Ok ok - yesterday I had - turkey, 3 roasties, lots of veg, stuffing, 2 parsnips, proper flour thickened gravy, cranberry sauce (ok it was fresh made not out of a jar) bread sauce eeek! I didn't see that one coming a big :woot: tablespoon Christmas pudding with fresh cream a hotel chocolat cracker with 3 chocs - I swapped mine around with folks until I got dark ones;)

THEN......

Tea/supper
Cold cuts, salad, coleslaw, half a wholemeal bread roll, pickles, chutneys, cheese and some crackers, then a mince pie with cream, nuts and olives whilst playing games

I did indulge far more than I ever have for the last 10 Christmases since diagnosis - but hey ho! Bite me lol

Meter readings- only took 3 but all were pleasantly surprising - I know without a doubt I will at some point have been higher and probably missed the peaks but - 2 hrs after lunch 7.2, 4 hours after lunch and an hr before supper 5.6 - 3 hrs after supper and just before bed 6.1 - so all in all not bad

Just about to have what I consider my real Christmas treat - cold turkey and ham, pickles and trimmings CHIPS AND 1/2 SLICE OF WHITE BREAD FOR A CHIP BUTTY! I make no apologies for this and this will be the end of it

There was obviously one or two alcoholic beverages used as well but I'm keeping that between me and my liver

MERRY CHRISTMAS TO YOU ALL XXXXX

Charis1213

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Well I'm only five weeks into bringing my sugar down , and yesterday I had the full Christmas dinner and chocolate cake and double cream and cake with custard not all at the same time lol .

But this morning my blood sugar reading was 7.3 and i was thrilled with that as it was 7.4 yesterday . I was stressed yesterday as my sister in law has ignored me for 3 years because of a misunderstanding and we go visit mother in law Christmas day and she is always there, but I reckon she had been visited by 3 ghosts as she went out of her way to speak to me , I forgive and I forget now as life is more important and I am happy she has decided to speak to me again makes life easier lol .

So today went straight back onto LCHF and enjoyed my food so much .

I will keep posting this place is my strength I love it . Merry Christmas everyone xxx

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I don't even know what a roastie is ... :)

However, I enjoyed a small pumpkin pie, which spiked me as high as 8 Christmas Day. I'm sure the French toast I had with my breakfast bacon didn't help either.

This morning I ate the last piece of pie for breakfast with my coffee, and three hours later, after a long nap, BG was 4.2.

So, no more pie in the house, and after today it's back to sausages for breakfast. And I will use up the eggs by scrambling or boiling them instead of making any more French toast.

I hope.

Spl@

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Humans that only take.
Ha. I willfully jumped off the wagon today as my mum and dad are here.

Bent the rules a little yesterday. Burned the rule book outright today.

Normal service tommorow but today all bets are off. Opening the bottle of port shortly. There won't be any for tomorrow.

Remember it's Merry Christmas.

Go nuts.

SamJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Spent Xmas day yo-yoing as usual, which is fine because I’m strict all year and want to eat sweet, carby treats for a change! No hypos and the highest was a 13, so that’s a win for me!

I’ll be back on strict low carbing sometime over the next few days. All meals will be low carb, but might say yes to the odd Celebration chocolate, or bite of mince pie.