1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Please don’t stop posting...

Discussion in 'Low-carb Diet Forum' started by Brunneria, Dec 26, 2018.

1. Goonergal

Goonergal Type 2 · Moderator
    Staff Member

I’ve resorted to storing high percentage cocoa chocolate in the freezer!

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
  2. purplepenguin

purplepenguin Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Wagon? What wagon? That thing raced off months ago without me on it. I have now caught up with it and have had my first day back travelling along with it. This WILL be the year that I finally get it all sorted.

• Winner Winner x 5
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  3. TriciaWs

TriciaWs Type 2 (in remission!) · Well-Known Member

So far this year (my first since diagnosis) I've had the following
    one small roast potato with a turkey dinner
    one 40g slice of christmas cake
    one mince pie with the top layer of pastry removed (binned)
    over a seven day period.
    I planned carefully, and made almond flour pastry, fake sage and onion stuffing, etc, etc.

So I was feeling very virtuous, until yesterday. A friend, who just not get it, arrived at lunchtime with fish and chips. I ate a few chips and the fish with half the batter. I managed to throw the rest of the chips out (my food wastage has gone up this last few months!)
    Today I am back on the wagon but my carb craving are sky high.

• Like Like x 4
  4. paulins

paulins Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Five years since diagnosis and immediately on low carb/exercise following Newcastle diet for first 6 months then low carb and sensible eating and exercise since. Lost 5.5 stones in 6 months. HbA1c between 4.8-4.9 since. No adverse effects. Off diabetes register though doctor insists on annual check-ups. Watch weight and if put on more than 7 lbs get it off again.
    I have read the research and think for me this is the way ahead. But each of us has to find what works for us.

• Winner Winner x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  5. mefunk

mefunk Type 1 · Member

What a fantastic and encouraging post this was! - followed by dozens and dozens of wonderfully personal responses. Just goes to show how much in common we have in dealing with the same issues and how important the support network is to all of us. Happy New Year to everyone.

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Hug Hug x 1
  6. DCUKMod

DCUKMod I reversed my Type 2 · Master
    Staff Member Administrator

Fab to see you @paulins . I thought of you when I was up in your city at a conference in November. I wondered how you were doing.

• Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  7. paulins

How kind! I have kept an eye on the forum and posted occassionally but didn’t feel I had anything new to say! I behave like an alcoholic in my head- I don’t have any sugar products as I think that just like an alcoholic it would be me on the slippery slope again! I never eat rice, potatoes (though have found that sweet potatoes do nothing to my BS levels) pasta or bread (though spelt pasta and spelt bread raise levels only slightly) so have both occasionally). My GP keeps telling me life is for living and that I should have an occasional treat but I know myself too well!
    My sister is a great baker and makes sugar and carb free cakes and puddings for me for special occasions. I have learned so much from this forum and am so grateful for that.
    I started the Newcastle diet the day after my GP told me I had type 2 diabetes so never really dealt with diabetes.
    The weight loss meant that another serious disease was diagnosed early so I think that for me diabetes possibly saved my life.

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  8. DCUKMod

DCUKMod I reversed my Type 2 · Master
    Staff Member Administrator

I so remember that other diagnosis, and I remember all too well how you tackled it. I also sometimes refer to it to folks in similar positions, concerned about how they'll manage their (usually) LC lifestyle with it all.

I'm so pleased to hear you remain hale and hearty.

• Friendly Friendly x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. paulins

I have updated my signature as I am now five years on so you can see how I am doing. It is possible, but there is no doubt that it can be hard work and at times I get really fed up with it. But then I remind myself that the possible alternatives are much worse!

• Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. Sue192

Sue192 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Couldn't agree more! Wonderful to see @Chook and @paulins back, and others, and to read the encouragement from all. It's also wonderful to realise that my virtually single-handedly polishing off a pressie box of Hotel Chocolat Less Sweet Sleekster (not all in one day I might add) wasn't the end of the world. Well, not quite! Luckily there were some HC cacao & peppermint tea bags as well so I could feel virtuous. Sort of :angelic: The tea bags are really gorgeous, like drinking minty choc, if you haven't tried them.

Wishing everyone a happy, peaceful, joyful and whatever-you-wish-for 2019.

• Like Like x 5
  11. 1954jessy

1954jessy Prediabetes · Well-Known Member

Fallen off the wagon hard this year. Need to get back on. It's not the meal times it's snack that we still have from Christmas. Help

• Hug Hug x 3
  12. zauberflote

zauberflote Prediabetes · Well-Known Member

Hi @1954jessy I’m so sorry you’re stuck. Hugs! Can you bear to just throw all those snack foods out, in a trash can far from your house? I know too well the call of the food in the garbage can. Sometimes I will change a cat box (the nastiest one!) just so I can permanently get rid of a food into the nasty wet clay with no hope of scrounging it out again.
    Keep coming back! We all want your company, and there’s strength in numbers

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  13. Prem51

Prem51 Type 2 · Expert

Or if unopened give them to a foodbank collection - there are often collection bins in supermarkets for donations.

14. 1954jessy

1954jessy Prediabetes · Well-Known Member

Husband is eating them but slowly

15. Brunneria

Brunneria Other · Moderator
    Staff Member

Don’t beat yourself up Jessy. Please.

There is only one thing you have to worry about - and that is the next thing you are going to eat.
    If you decide it will be smaller/lower carb/closer to your ideal eating, and you manage it. Then you can pat yourself on the back.
    One mouthful, one step, one pat-on-the-back at a time.

Can you get nicer, better, more appropriate snack in? For me, that would be MY preferred 70% dark choc. MY preferred cheeses, and some lovely low carb nuts. Then I can still snack, still enjoy, and do it with a totally clear conscience. :)

• Like Like x 1
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook