Type 2 Starting to stumble when walking

Status
Not open for further replies.

DeeAitch

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi I’m looking for advice please: - I was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes 12 months ago, & am taking Metformin tablets 2 twice a day, over the past 3- 4 months I’ve been suffering from pain in my right hip which my doctor says is a trapped nerve, & have been referred Physio (steroid injection didn’t help at all) at my local hospital but there is an 18 week waiting list, that was 5 weeks ago, since then my leg goes more often into feeling numb & tingly & the pain in my hip gets worse after sitting / laying down. Over the last few days I’ve started stumbling a bit when walking.
I guess what I’m asking is does this sound like it’s diabetes related & should I go back to the doctor? Always worry about making suggestions / being overly neurotic & going to the doctor too often
Thanks in advance

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi I’m looking for advice please: - I was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes 12 months ago, & am taking Metformin tablets 2 twice a day, over the past 3- 4 months I’ve been suffering from pain in my right hip which my doctor says is a trapped nerve, & have been referred Physio (steroid injection didn’t help at all) at my local hospital but there is an 18 week waiting list, that was 5 weeks ago, since then my leg goes more often into feeling numb & tingly & the pain in my hip gets worse after sitting / laying down. Over the last few days I’ve started stumbling a bit when walking.
I guess what I’m asking is does this sound like it’s diabetes related & should I go back to the doctor? Always worry about making suggestions / being overly neurotic & going to the doctor too often
Thanks in advance
Hello, @DeeAitch
Sorry you are having these problems with your health. Unfortunately, members cannot assist with a diagnosis, so you will need to return to your doctor for advice.
Best wishes. Do let us know how you get on.

DeeAitch

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hello, @DeeAitch
Sorry you are having these problems with your health. Unfortunately, members cannot assist with a diagnosis, so you will need to return to your doctor for advice.
Best wishes. Do let us know how you get on.

I fully appreciate that of course but was just wanting to ask if anyone had had a similar experience that was subsequently found to be diabetes related

Charis1213

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks in advance
Are you taking any other medication such as 'statins' ?

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
Hi @DeeAitch, Sorry to hear of your woes. My understanding as a health consumer, but not as professional advice or opinion, is that investigations such as Xrays are part of sorting out hip troubles and that there are some nerve troubles due to pressure on nerves near the hip joint that may be amenable to treatment: www.webmd.com/diabetes/guide/meralgia-paresthetica - but it depends on being able to diagnose them. I would expect that a GP can read such references as above about as well as you and I!!
Also I have acquaintances who have had hip or leg trouble which has turned out to be due to pressure on nerves in the lower back.
I always find that a question to the GP like: "With this trouble, Doctor, how likely is it that I could fall and break my hip"? does tend to focus their attention!!!!! Best wishes in getting your trouble sorted quickly and promptly!!!

Nongers_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Thanks in advance
well dont rule out a weight problem with bad posture like standing upright can make a lot of difference

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks in advance
My hip gave me hell for years, (lying down was problematic too) and it got a lot better once I lost some weight. That coincided with getting the T2 under control, so no idea which helped most, but it's not inflamed or hurting like it used to. (Steroids didn't do much for me either. I limped for several years. Not anymore though! I actually enjoy my walks now). For me, weightloss and a decent HbA1c were brought about by going low carb high fat. I don't know the cause of your pain, and I don't have an easy solution to it, but it might be something to look into. (Dunno what meds you're on, but statins made the pain a lot worse. And if you take meds that might make you hypo on a diet, be careful, test, test, test some more!)

Reactions: Prem51

Diawara

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks in advance
hi @DeeAitch i have had over the last fifteen years plus... painful knees and the sciatica down the right side as you describe..ive spent a small fortune going to various physios finally settling for one i trust (also the most expensive) all of them hinted that i should lose some weight it would help some oviously i took no notice and slowly got more inactive and put more weight on. november 2017 i weighed my self at boots ..nearly 125 kilos i had lost maybe 2 kilos since june..christmas came and went. I started back to work late january found it very painfull and i had just started the signals, thirst and constant urine etc .diagnosed type 2 etc... i stumbled on cutting out carbs i had got down to 100 kilos by june where it still remains as so... pain from the knees totaly gone occaisionly a bit of the sciatica but nowhere like you describe ...any help to you? ..got to go to work now i may add to this tonight

Last edited:

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
hi @DeeAitch i have had over the last fifteen years plus... painful knees and the sciatica down the right side as you describe..ive spent a small fortune going to various physios finally settling for one i trust (also the most expensive) all of them hinted that i should lose some weight tat would help some oviously i took no notice and slowly got more inactive and put more weight on. november 2017 i weighed my self at boots ..nearly 125 kilos i had lost maybe 2 kilos since june..christmas came and went i started back to work late january found it very painfull and i just started the signals thirst and constant urine etc .diagnossed type 2 etc... i stumbled on cutting out carbs i had got down to 100 kilos by june were it still remains as so... pain from the knees totaly gone occaisionly a bit of the sciatica but nowhere like you describe ...any help? ..got to go to work now i may add to this tonight
Hi @Diawara, I believe sciatica involves pain going down the leg below the knee. Is that what you are referring to because @DeeAitch only talks about pain in the hip area see spine-health.com - Sciatica Symptoms

Diawara

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @Diawara, I believe sciatica involves pain going down the leg below the knee. Is that what you are referring to because @DeeAitch only talks about pain in the hip area see spine-health.com - Sciatica Symptoms
mine went from hip to outside of leg right down to big toe sciatica seems to be a term used for a load of things but all i know is its xxx painful and weight loss has helped the situation

Status
Not open for further replies.