Silly question?

Atlantico

Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I have been sticking to 20g of carbs or less per day, in total, and it is working well.
If for example I had 10-20g of carbs per meal x 3 meals in one day, would these carbs build up in my body or are carbs cancelled out with insulin at each meal?
Just a thought as I have no intention of testing this out.
Regards.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Well done for getting a grip on it! :D
I bet you are feeling MUCH better.

Regarding how much carb you can tolerate, it really is very individual.
I feel good on less than 20g carbs a day, and better on less than 10g.
You may well be able to have more.
I certainly hope so.

Reactions: Atlantico

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I have been sticking to 20g of carbs or less per day, in total, and it is working well.
If for example I had 10-20g of carbs per meal x 3 meals in one day, would these carbs build up in my body or are carbs cancelled out with insulin at each meal?
Just a thought as I have no intention of testing this out.
Regards.
We have background insulin levels!
Hi again, hope you coped with Christmas and all that entails.
I do believe that as with all hormones, we have a certain amount that would be available to deal with a certain amount of whatever they are needed for. If we are in normal levels and there is an imbalance in hormones such as insulin, the pancreas will correct it, same if we go too low with insulin, our liver will provide more glucose, this is called Glucogenesis.
As with T2, it takes a long time for the imbalance to occur, and for the Hba1c levels to become too high to get a diagnosis.
So if we are only having, around 20g of carbs per day, the need for extra insulin is not necessary. The background insulin can cope with that amount of carbs.
So even though your initial insulin response is weak, it will not trigger the secondary insulin response because it is not needed, because blood glucose levels remain in or just above normal levels.
There is enough glucose for your brain and no excess insulin.
Your body will adapt to lower carb intake, your symptoms will ease because the rollercoaster ride of hypers and hypos will stop.

Because the condition is quite rare, we have to rely on our experience and outcomes of continuous testing and finding out what foods we are intolerant to.
There are no silly questions about how we can cope and become healthier.
In fact it's a very clever question.
There is so much to consider on how and why our bodies react to food differently to everyone else around us. We are rare (and weird) in some respects!
It is what it is! We have to learn to live with it!
We have to be strong and resilient, because this is the rest of our lives.
It won't go away!

Keep asking, that is the only way you will get answers.

My best wishes.

Atlantico

Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Well done for getting a grip on it! :D
I bet you are feeling MUCH better.

Regarding how much carb you can tolerate, it really is very individual.
I feel good on less than 20g carbs a day, and better on less than 10g.
You may well be able to have more.
I certainly hope so.

Hello Brunneria.
Thank you for your kind reply. I am feeling much better and planning meals is getting a little easier as I know a lot of what I can and can't have. Also I am not having to test BG quite as often as I did in the beginning. Kind regards

Reactions: Lamont D

Atlantico

Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
We have background insulin levels!
Hi again, hope you coped with Christmas and all that entails.
I do believe that as with all hormones, we have a certain amount that would be available to deal with a certain amount of whatever they are needed for. If we are in normal levels and there is an imbalance in hormones such as insulin, the pancreas will correct it, same if we go too low with insulin, our liver will provide more glucose, this is called Glucogenesis.
As with T2, it takes a long time for the imbalance to occur, and for the Hba1c levels to become too high to get a diagnosis.
So if we are only having, around 20g of carbs per day, the need for extra insulin is not necessary. The background insulin can cope with that amount of carbs.
So even though your initial insulin response is weak, it will not trigger the secondary insulin response because it is not needed, because blood glucose levels remain in or just above normal levels.
There is enough glucose for your brain and no excess insulin.
Your body will adapt to lower carb intake, your symptoms will ease because the rollercoaster ride of hypers and hypos will stop.

Because the condition is quite rare, we have to rely on our experience and outcomes of continuous testing and finding out what foods we are intolerant to.
There are no silly questions about how we can cope and become healthier.
In fact it's a very clever question.
There is so much to consider on how and why our bodies react to food differently to everyone else around us. We are rare (and weird) in some respects!
It is what it is! We have to learn to live with it!
We have to be strong and resilient, because this is the rest of our lives.
It won't go away!

Keep asking, that is the only way you will get answers.

My best wishes.

Thank you Lamont for your really interesting reply, I find the more I learn about RH the easier it is to understand what is happening to our bodies and how to cope.
Christmas this year has been different! I broke a tooth on 22 Dec, my dentist closed until 2nd Jan and it wasn't classed as emergency, I have had soup and milkshakes all over Xmas but got my tooth sorted today. I really enjoyed blackpudding and fried egg - not very Chrismassy but hey ho, it didn't matter.
Kind regards and all the best for 2019.

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Thank you Lamont for your really interesting reply, I find the more I learn about RH the easier it is to understand what is happening to our bodies and how to cope.
Christmas this year has been different! I broke a tooth on 22 Dec, my dentist closed until 2nd Jan and it wasn't classed as emergency, I have had soup and milkshakes all over Xmas but got my tooth sorted today. I really enjoyed blackpudding and fried egg - not very Chrismassy but hey ho, it didn't matter.
Kind regards and all the best for 2019.

Oh yeah!
My perfect meal, when I get chance is, gammon, egg, mushrooms, onions, tomatoes and a generous slice of gorgeous black pudding! All fried in goose fat!
Great at any time of the year!