DVLA and reapplying for licence

Dhornsby

Hi,

I reapplied with the DVLA for my licence today, and noticed that the online form has now changed - whilst it still has the usual questions about hypo awareness and eyesight, the question around hypo frequency has now changed to read:

‘Have you had an episode of hypoglycaemia (low blood sugar) whilst awake in the last 12 months?’

This is so confusing - show me a diabetic who hasn’t been low over a 12 month period! There is no further clarification on the website and the guidance leaflet has been removed for being out of date. I therefore took this to mean any instances of hypo and ticked yes. There is then no option for further explanation, so after submitting the form, I called their medical line to ask for clarification.

The lady I spoke to had to check several times with a colleague, but came back to say that they would want to know about an incident of hypoglycaemia, even though I didn’t require any assistance, treated it myself etc ( this was after swimming whilst on holiday). I’m sure this never used to be the case - in that before, only hypos requiring assistance from a 3rd part were reportable??

She has put a note on the application saying I have contacted them and questioned this, just wondering if anyone else had any experience of this? I’ve got excellent awareness, never experienced a hypo driving or in the car, but just wondering if this is a change in stance?

My job is dependent on being able to drive so fair old stressing now that they won’t renew it!

Rokaab

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I have just got mine back - had to reapply just before Christmas, and yes I ticked that I'd had hypos but never needed treatment and have awareness and they were happy, never queried it, it was waiting for me when I got back from my parents after Christmas - cos yes I doubt many T1's have never had a hypo of some sort.

Grant_Vicat

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dislikes
Intolerance, selfishness, rice pudding
Hi,

I reapplied with the DVLA for my licence today, and noticed that the online form has now changed - whilst it still has the usual questions about hypo awareness and eyesight, the question around hypo frequency has now changed to read:

‘Have you had an episode of hypoglycaemia (low blood sugar) whilst awake in the last 12 months?’

This is so confusing - show me a diabetic who hasn’t been low over a 12 month period! There is no further clarification on the website and the guidance leaflet has been removed for being out of date. I therefore took this to mean any instances of hypo and ticked yes. There is then no option for further explanation, so after submitting the form, I called their medical line to ask for clarification.

The lady I spoke to had to check several times with a colleague, but came back to say that they would want to know about an incident of hypoglycaemia, even though I didn’t require any assistance, treated it myself etc ( this was after swimming whilst on holiday). I’m sure this never used to be the case - in that before, only hypos requiring assistance from a 3rd part were reportable??

She has put a note on the application saying I have contacted them and questioned this, just wondering if anyone else had any experience of this? I’ve got excellent awareness, never experienced a hypo driving or in the car, but just wondering if this is a change in stance?

My job is dependent on being able to drive so fair old stressing now that they won’t renew it!
Keeping my fingers crossed for you. There is hardly anything more stressful.

rmz80

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
In my case; ticking the box will trigger DVLA to write to your GP. They will request your GP make an assessment of “Hypo Unawareness”. It’s really Insulin users that need to be concerned about this.

britishpub

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
ticking the box will trigger DVLA to write to your GP.

@Dhornsby that is correct. When a form is returned to DVLA it is entered into their IT systems and certain answers given will trigger either an instant rejection, a referral to a case worker to look at the case, and in the best cases they move onto the next question.

The question is meant to refer to an uncontrolled episode of hypoglycaemia whilst awake. The criteria was changed in early 2018 to remove any nighttime episode for non-vocational licence holders.

Therefore if you have had an uncontrolled hypoglycaemia whilst awake and needed outside assistance you should answer Yes.

If every time you have had a hypo you have managed to deal with it yourself, then that would not be considered uncontrolled so tick No.

Rokaab

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Therefore if you have had an uncontrolled hypoglycaemia whilst awake and needed outside assistance you should answer Yes.

If every time you have had a hypo you have managed to deal with it yourself, then that would not be considered uncontrolled so tick No.

That's not quite how I read it when I filled the form about a week or so before Christmas, first question was 'have you had a hypo in the last year' the second was something along the lines of 'was it once or more than once' and the third was 'did you need help from someone else', note: obviously that is not the exact wording as I can't remember it, but that's definitely how I read it. There was also the 'do you have awareness' question.

I answered yes to have had hypos (since I 'think' they consider anything below 4 a hypo), yes to more than once, no to needing help (since I didn't), and yes to having hypo awareness. New license turned up either just before Christmas or just after - was worried I'd got a speeding ticket somewhere along the M1 when I got home cos there were two letters from the DVLA.

Last edited: