LADA?

magicmoose

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I was diagnosed with T2 in 2005 in my late 20's. Fasting glucose was high so took a Glucose Tolerance Test which confirmed diagnosis.

Prior to diagnosis I was 'obese' and exercise was lacking. I also was diagnosed with PCOS the same year.

From what I can recall I would often feel tired, light headed, thirsty growing up especially late teens / twenties.

Over the years despite weight loss and increased exercise my HbA1c has continued to rise in the 70's and 80's to over 100, most recent was 120.

Food wise I have been good, not always but the weight loss indicates I was doing something right. However despite traditional T2 medications I always felt my BG were uncontrolled.

I went on short acting insulin and long acting insulin and even then it felt I was injecting massive units and still BG's remained in double figures. I eventually stopped the insulin because I was gaining weight. I also partly knew the high BG's would help lose weight.

I wonder whether what I have is LADA. My mother was diagnosed diabetic in her early 50's and I am guessing T2 but recall that she went on insulin straight away and always struggled to keep her BG's under control. I should add she was not overweight and she ate healthy. Maybe she actually had LADA. At time of her diagnosis she was a renal patient on dialysis.

Surely with my weight loss (5 stone) my BG's should be improving not getting worse.

I'm following low carb now, hoping to get into ketosis to burn fat, so I guess I'll see how the BG'S fair on that.

Fido78

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I was diagnosed with T2 in 2005 in my late 20's. Fasting glucose was high so took a Glucose Tolerance Test which confirmed diagnosis.

Prior to diagnosis I was 'obese' and exercise was lacking. I also was diagnosed with PCOS the same year.

From what I can recall I would often feel tired, light headed, thirsty growing up especially late teens / twenties.

Over the years despite weight loss and increased exercise my HbA1c has continued to rise in the 70's and 80's to over 100, most recent was 120.

Food wise I have been good, not always but the weight loss indicates I was doing something right. However despite traditional T2 medications I always felt my BG were uncontrolled.

I went on short acting insulin and long acting insulin and even then it felt I was injecting massive units and still BG's remained in double figures. I eventually stopped the insulin because I was gaining weight. I also partly knew the high BG's would help lose weight.

I wonder whether what I have is LADA. My mother was diagnosed diabetic in her early 50's and I am guessing T2 but recall that she went on insulin straight away and always struggled to keep her BG's under control. I should add she was not overweight and she ate healthy. Maybe she actually had LADA. At time of her diagnosis she was a renal patient on dialysis.

Surely with my weight loss (5 stone) my BG's should be improving not getting worse.

I'm following low carb now, hoping to get into ketosis to burn fat, so I guess I'll see how the BG'S fair on that.
Hi, you should get checked out for type 1 antibodies (ICA,IAA,GAD,IA2) If you doctor is not supportive of this just get in done at a private lab, then you atleast will get your peace of mind...good luck!

Reactions: magicmoose

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. In addition to T1 antibody tests I would add the c-peptide which will show your beta cell insulin output level. If it's really low you are T1 and if it's really high you are T2 (with some exceptions). Note that insulin itself does not cause weight gain but it enables the body to metabolise the carbs you eat which can then cause weight gain. Taking insulin if you have excess weight and hence insulin resistance can be a bit pointless and as you experienced needs massive amounts. You could well be LADA but, whatever, you need to continue with a low-carb diet and trust the weight will continue to come down.

magicmoose

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thank you both for your replies. Anyone recommend a lab where I could get the tests done privately?

Reactions: DizzyChick