Any tips for lowering blood sugar when it’s high for no obvious reason?

Emmasndco

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I frequently go to the gym including today and generally eat low carb, but I can’t get my bs down today. Was 16 this morning, 17 at lunch and now 20 before dinner. Have eaten full fat Greek yogurt with berries and sunflower seeds for breakfast. Snacked on some celery and peanut butter. Had a salad with chicken and Parmesan for lunch. Just had roast chicken and veg for dinner.

Reactions: pardalope

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.
Is this unusual?

With levels that high I would go and see your health care team as soon as possible.

What medication (if any) are you on?

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Is this only today or have you been seeing this more often?

Emmasndco

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks for your replies, it seems to have crept up over the last couple of days. It’s normally between 8 and 10 which is still higher than it should be. I take a fair bit of medication. Metformin, gliclazide, pioglitazone and Trulicity.

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
Call your medical team, the numbers are high and you are on a fair bit of medication.

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I frequently go to the gym including today and generally eat low carb, but I can’t get my bs down today. Was 16 this morning, 17 at lunch and now 20 before dinner. Have eaten full fat Greek yogurt with berries and sunflower seeds for breakfast. Snacked on some celery and peanut butter. Had a salad with chicken and Parmesan for lunch. Just had roast chicken and veg for dinner.
Might be a flu or infection brewing, but seeing what you eat, and the meds you use, your numbers are often a little higher than i'd expect with all that... @Diakat at and @LittleGreyCat have a good point. Don't let this slide.

Emmasndco

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I’ve finally been to the GP this morning. He has started me on insulin. I’m a little apprehensive. Thanks as always for your advice and support.

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
I’ve finally been to the GP this morning. He has started me on insulin. I’m a little apprehensive. Thanks as always for your advice and support.
Hope you feel better soon - do ask questions if you have any worries.

pardalope

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

Debzz_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diabetes ha ha
Thanks for your replies, it seems to have crept up over the last couple of days. It’s normally between 8 and 10 which is still higher than it should be. I take a fair bit of medication. Metformin, gliclazide, pioglitazone and Trulicity.
Hi
Can I ask if your gp just put you on insulin there and then ? I’m having same problems as you . Hope your insulin is working for you

Dpapa0514

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Your blood sugars were 16, 17, & 20? I'm new to this forum so I guess this is a question.. What are those numbers? Because reading that I assumed blood sugar readings off the glucose meter, which to me thats extremely low. Can you help me out here I'm so confused ?

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Your blood sugars were 16, 17, & 20? I'm new to this forum so I guess this is a question.. What are those numbers? Because reading that I assumed blood sugar readings off the glucose meter, which to me thats extremely low. Can you help me out here I'm so confused ?
Those are European units mmol/L, to get to mg/dL multiply by 18.

smitchen

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Interesting to here your problem. I am type 2 but my BG won't go down. 15 to 20. Pescribed metformin 2g a day with Linagliptin, then changed to metformin slow release 2g with empagliflozin. Still not working. GP doesn't seem concerned.

Emmasndco

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi
Can I ask if your gp just put you on insulin there and then ? I’m having same problems as you . Hope your insulin is working for you
Hi, I had an emergency GP appointment, where he prescribed insulin, there wasn’t really much of a conversation which was a little bit disappointing. I then had a much better appointment with a nurse where she went through everything. The insulin doesn’t seem to be working at all. I have been prescribed humulin I. I took 6 units for a week, 10 units the next and am now up to 16 units. I take it around 30 mins before I eat my evening meal. I was hospitalised last week as the sugar levels were so high. They pumped me full of insulin, had a total of 300 units but they couldn’t get it down much-12 was the lowest. I saw an endocrinologist who said the insulin hadn’t worked as I was very insulin resistant. He also wants to investigate Cushing syndrome. What insulin have you been prescribed?

Emmasndco

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Have you had tests to confirm whether or not you are type 2?
I had a cpeptide test around a year ago and I’m still producing insulin. When I was at the hospital, the team decided I was very insulin resistant.

brassyblonde900

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi, I had an emergency GP appointment, where he prescribed insulin, there wasn’t really much of a conversation which was a little bit disappointing. I then had a much better appointment with a nurse where she went through everything. The insulin doesn’t seem to be working at all. I have been prescribed humulin I. I took 6 units for a week, 10 units the next and am now up to 16 units. I take it around 30 mins before I eat my evening meal. I was hospitalised last week as the sugar levels were so high. They pumped me full of insulin, had a total of 300 units but they couldn’t get it down much-12 was the lowest. I saw an endocrinologist who said the insulin hadn’t worked as I was very insulin resistant. He also wants to investigate Cushing syndrome. What insulin have you been prescribed?
Hugs.
When I was first diagnosed I quickly found out that what works for others does not work for me.
Because of my scaredy-cat liver, any type of stress had me gushing glucose like a Tate and Lyle factory.
Be it fasting, HIIT, Brisk walking etc all drove my BG into the stratosphere...My body reacted to those things as stress, and thanks to Catecholamines (a cohort of stress hormones) my liver thought I was about to be devoured by a hungry lion and it then helpfully releases glycogen (Gluconeogenesis) to help me deal with what it assumed was imminent danger
luckily I then sussed out that I may be different, and I accepted that I had to explore safe options, with a view to solving the problem.

Obviously for you, medication is only making your (IR) diabetes progressive.
Have you explored other options like fasting, keeping your total carb intake in a day to 20g a day or less.
Even if it means going low enough with carb eating as to be in the Carnivore WOE territory (Just add only seasoning like a bit herbs to season the meat)
Those were instrumental in sorting out my IR.
Now I can do up to 20g a day of carbs with no issues - I have no desire to go any higher since I am quite happy with my food choices and its working wonders for my T2DM control.
Now I can fast, I did after Xmas, I did not manage to avoid a few (euphemism for loads in BrassyB speak)of the baked fare (I limited my fast to 36hrs though, no need tempting my liver to remember its old ways) I was back to my pre Xmas readings within days
I also do IF, since I cant stand food before lunch time.
I find that those protocols have greatly enhanced my Insulin sensitivity.
Please not that because you are on Insulin, you have to follow any type of fasting or Very Low carb WOE under the supervision of your HC team.

Reactions: rider

Emmasndco

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hugs.
When I was first diagnosed I quickly found out that what works for others does not work for me.
Because of my scaredy-cat liver, any type of stress had me gushing glucose like a Tate and Lyle factory.
Be it fasting, HIIT, Brisk walking etc all drove my BG into the stratosphere...My body reacted to those things as stress, and thanks to Catecholamines (a cohort of stress hormones) my liver thought I was about to be devoured by a hungry lion and it then helpfully releases glycogen (Gluconeogenesis) to help me deal with what it assumed was imminent danger
luckily I then sussed out that I may be different, and I accepted that I had to explore safe options, with a view to solving the problem.

Obviously for you, medication is only making your (IR) diabetes progressive.
Have you explored other options like fasting, keeping your total carb intake in a day to 20g a day or less.
Even if it means going low enough with carb eating as to be in the Carnivore WOE territory (Just add only seasoning like a bit herbs to season the meat)
Those were instrumental in sorting out my IR.
Now I can do up to 20g a day of carbs with no issues - I have no desire to go any higher since I am quite happy with my food choices and its working wonders for my T2DM control.
Now I can fast, I did after Xmas, I did not manage to avoid a few (euphemism for loads in BrassyB speak)of the baked fare (I limited my fast to 36hrs though, no need tempting my liver to remember its old ways) I was back to my pre Xmas readings within days
I also do IF, since I cant stand food before lunch time.
I find that those protocols have greatly enhanced my Insulin sensitivity.
Please not that because you are on Insulin, you have to follow any type of fasting or Very Low carb WOE under the supervision of your HC team.

Many thanks for this Brassyblonde900,

I have considered fasting, but I haven't quite got there yet. I think its something I need to put my mind to.

Ive never heard of Carnivore WOE, but i will certainly look into it.