Not lost any weight yet !

LynnieG33

Hi Iv been on a low carb diet for 12 days now . I’m eating salad ,eggs cheese ,Greek yogurt and berries , soup , cold meats . But so far Iv not lost any weight ! I’m doing between 10-15,000 steps a day drinking lots of water , what am I doing wrong ? I’m getting a bit disheartened. My BG is between 6 to 9 .

DaveXF

Hi Iv been on a low carb diet for 12 days now . I’m eating salad ,eggs cheese ,Greek yogurt and berries , soup , cold meats . But so far Iv not lost any weight ! I’m doing between 10-15,000 steps a day drinking lots of water , what am I doing wrong ? I’m getting a bit disheartened. My BG is between 6 to 9 .

You mightn't be doing anything wrong.
Perhaps your calorie input is meeting your calorie output?

I'm on sub 800kcal a day very low to zero carbs and - if I'm being lazy- the weight remains constant, or barely moves.

Try the "lose it" app and use it to log your calorie intake.
My better half, none DB and not low carbing, has Lost 7lb this week by using the app as her conscience
That's a tad excessive but it's a decent start.

Reactions: Tux 56

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
You mightn't be doing anything wrong.
Perhaps your calorie input is meeting your calorie output?

I'm on sub 800kcal a day very low to zero carbs and - if I'm being lazy- the weight remains constant, or barely moves.

Try the "lose it" app and use it to log your calorie intake.
My better half, none DB and not low carbing, has Lost 7lb this week by using the app as her conscience
That's a tad excessive but it's a decent start.

Strange that. I am disabled, unable to take any form of excercise and also have Type 2 Diabetes. By your reckoning I should be massively overweight and yet I'm not and never have been overweight.

To the OP, have patience, 12 days is not a long time and we are all different. Take note of changes you might not see on the scales but you might see on your body (I noticed a change in the appearance of my collar bones first). Get yourself a tape measure and do the height/waist measurments i.e your waist should be roughly half of your height.
The body will get rid of ectopic fat where it is least wanted first, around the the organs which for those of us who tend toward a fatty liver is a great thing. Stick with it, it will come.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Weight loss is not really all that important - reducing the rise in blood glucose after meals was, for me, what it was all about.
Yes, I have lost weight, but without really trying to - I just wanted to ensure that my blood glucose and Hba1c were in the normal ranges.
It was a few months after getting below diabetic levels when I suddenly realized all my clothes were too large.

Reactions: Tux 56
M

Member496333

Hi. Give it time for the blood glucose to come down further. 6-9mmol/L is good but indicates that you likely still have quite high blood insulin concentrations. Or at least fairly persistently above baseline more often than is optimal for you.

You’ll find it very difficult to lose weight in the presence of insulin. Focus on the blood glucose. Always remember that weight/obesity, just like diabetes, is another symptom of hyperinsulinemia. It’s not the cause. Obesity and diabetes are two sides of the same coin. The hand and the glove, if you will. The beer and the glass.

Focus on reducing insulin levels and the rest will follow. To quote the movie Field of Dreams - “build it and he will come”. Start at the beginning. The question isn’t “will this make me fat?”, it’s “will this require insulin?”. Obviously I speak only as a type 2, but when it comes to insulin, and energy distribution & mobilisation, this is pretty much a universal truth. To all intents and purposes you cannot meaningfully oxidise stored energy while you have insulin (from any source) sloshing around trying to mop up glucose. Insulin is trying to store the glucose energy as more fat in order to keep it in quarantine.

Stick with it. Perhaps add in some fasting to get the numbers more reliably into the 5~ region more of the time. Concentrate on metabolic health, not the scales. In the fullness of time your blood glucose concentration will be low enough to give insulin a rest and let your body start burning up all that glucose that it’s been storing as fat for years trying to protect itself from the rising toxicity of hyperglycaemia. Additionally, as the fat burns away, you give the fat cells more breathing space in which to store more unwanted glucose, clearing yet more out of it out of the blood and organs, and thus increasing your insulin sensitivity. It’s a virtuous circle.

My goodness what a wonderful machine we spend our humble existence in. It’s actually a privilege to witness and try to understand. Atomic machines pondering the atmos they’re made of. Collaborating with other atomic machines in order to survive and prosper.

Sorry for rambling - got a bit carried away with the hippy stuff there :woot:

Last edited by a moderator:

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hi. Give it time for the blood glucose to come down further. 6-9mmol/L is good but indicates that you likely still have quite high blood insulin concentrations. Or at least fairly persistently above baseline more often than is optimal for you.

You’ll find it very difficult to lose weight in the presence of insulin. Focus on the blood glucose. Always remember that weight/obesity, just like diabetes, is another symptom of hyperinsulinemia. It’s not the cause. Obesity and diabetes are two sides of the same coin. The hand and the glove, if you will. The beer and the glass.

Focus on reducing insulin levels and the rest will follow. To quote the movie Field of Dreams - “build it and he will come”. Start at the beginning. The question isn’t “will this make me fat?”, it’s “will this require insulin?”. Obviously I speak only as a type 2, but when it comes to insulin, and energy distribution & mobilisation, this is pretty much a universal truth. To all intents and purposes you cannot meaningfully oxidise stored energy while you have insulin (from any source) sloshing around trying to mop up glucose. Insulin is trying to store the glucose energy as more fat in order to keep it in quarantine.

Stick with it. Perhaps add in some fasting to get the numbers more reliably into the 5~ region more of the time. Concentrate on metabolic health, not the scales. In the fullness of time your blood glucose concentration will be low enough to give insulin a rest and let your body start burning up all that glucose that it’s been storing as fat for years trying to protect itself from the rising toxicity of hyperglycaemia. Additionally, as the fat burns away, you give the fat cells more breathing space in which to store more unwanted glucose, clearing yet more out of it out of the blood and organs, and thus increasing your insulin sensitivity. It’s a virtuous circle.

My goodness what a wonderful machine we spend our humble existence in. It’s actually a privilege to witness and try to understand. Atomic machines pondering the atmos they’re made of. Collaborating with other atomic machines in order to survive and prosper.

Sorry for rambling - got a bit carried away with the hippy stuff there :woot:

Ramble away, its almost like poetry ;)

Reactions: Sorcil

DaveXF

Strange that. I am disabled, unable to take any form of excercise and also have Type 2 Diabetes. By your reckoning I should be massively overweight and yet I'm not and never have been overweight.

To the OP, have patience, 12 days is not a long time and we are all different. Take note of changes you might not see on the scales but you might see on your body (I noticed a change in the appearance of my collar bones first). Get yourself a tape measure and do the height/waist measurments i.e your waist should be roughly half of your height.
The body will get rid of ectopic fat where it is least wanted first, around the the organs which for those of us who tend toward a fatty liver is a great thing. Stick with it, it will come.

No argument with this.
In fact, I was about to post something along the same lines after just trying on two suits -which last fitted me when I was 1/2stone lighter and fit me perfectly now.
Perhaps the OP is building leg muscle, which is no bad thing.

Reactions: Prem51 and Guzzler

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
No argument with this.
In fact, I was about to post something along the same lines after just trying on two suits -which last fitted me when I was 1/2stone lighter and fit me perfectly now.
Perhaps the OP is building leg muscle, which is no bad thing.

Hardly likely to have built muscle mass in 12 days. The thing is we're all different, some people lose weight at the drop of a hat but others struggle and still others start off great guns then see a stall. As has been said, blood glucose levels should be the priority but I know it's hard at first if one thinks that there is nothing to show for all the effort it takes to make the necessary changes. This stuff ain't easy at the best of times, it can be just a matter of time for some people.

Well done on getting into that suit!

Reactions: Prem51
M

Member496333

Hardly likely to have built muscle mass in 12 days. The thing is we're all different, some people lose weight at the drop of a hat but others struggle and still others start off great guns then see a stall. As has been said, blood glucose levels should be the priority but I know it's hard at first if one thinks that there is nothing to show for all the effort it takes to make the necessary changes. This stuff ain't easy at the best of times, it can be just a matter of time for some people.

Additionally, some people find it difficult to get fat. I believe the word is lipodystrophy (?) where the person has some form of fat storage irregularity. These guys aren’t able to quarantine the glucose effectively, and so just get diabetes quicker than those who can (helpfully) become obese.

When you see a super obese person who is not diabetic, it’s really just a matter of time before they run of cupboards in which to store all those bags of sugar.

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
@LynnieG33 It took about 3 weeks before I started losing weight, and I was eating very little, just one small evening meal. I was also walking 10-20,000 steps a day. But after 3 weeks I started losing between 1 - 2 lbs a week.

DaveXF

Of course and, hopefully, the OP will pop back and feel encouraged.
I do build muscle, or definition very quickly.
However, I'm not the tallest and quite small framed...albeit with broad shoulders...so both muscle or fat show easily.

Most kind on the suit...it's 3 now....seriously chuffed
Have felt like death for months with neuropathy and it seems to be on the wane and with that my desire to look the business when out on business , is back.

They were my "slim suits", after donating 7 bin bags of fatter suits and wotnot to the BHF 18 months back.

Reactions: Prem51