Need Snack Ideas

Patrick66

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People. Noise. Swearing. Many foods.
I wouldn't buy protein bars, all the ones I have looked at had unwanted ingredients.

I did make granola bars once. They were very good. I mixed a load of nuts, some lightly toasted with some coconut oil mix well, baked in a low oven. Cut into bars but leave in the tin to cool. Once cooled, remove from tin. Re-cut the bars, wrap in cling film, store in airtight container.

The recipe called for honey which I left out. Next time I will add some lakanto maple syrup flavour (possibly) I don't have a sweet tooth.
You see I really struggle when it comes to nuts. I’m not allergic but they just make me feel ill and the texture of them is all wrong to me. Nuts and seeds would be quite useful to me but I can really only tolerate almonds and that’s in a Bakewell tart lol.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I love sausages but nobody seems to recommend them. I did see a list where they were quite carb high but I’m wondering if that’s down to what’s actually in the sausage eg a ton of breadcrumbs..
There are plenty of low carb sausages.. most supermarkets have a very high meat content one 97% pork usually. These would be fine for you.

Patrick66

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Are you ok with seeds?
No, again it’s a texture thing. I mean, I’ve had lightly seeded Haddock from M&S in the past but that’s very light and hidden by the fish ...

But I couldn’t eat a handful..

Patrick66

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Check the ingredient label on the back.. where do you usually shop?
Morrison’s, Tesco,...wherever we happen to be but there are several supermarkets close to each other.

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Patrick, could you post a list of stuff you really like? Lots of low carb foods are made from almond flour or coconut flour, would you be ok with these?

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I love sausages but nobody seems to recommend them. I did see a list where they were quite carb high but I’m wondering if that’s down to what’s actually in the sausage eg a ton of breadcrumbs..

I always have a sausage with my fry ups. I love Hecks (Tesco, Sainsburys) they are 97% pork and are nice thickish ones. Very tasty. Most supermarkets sell their own brands of high meat content. The nutrition label will tell you.

I agree with others that have been encouraging you to have a low carb high fat hearty breakfast. That will easily see you through till lunch time without any need for snacking, other than a cup of tea. Snacking is not a wise idea for T2 diabetics, and unnecessary if you eat decent meals at meal times. Your pancreas is working overtime if you snack, and all that insulin will be floating round leading to weight gain and damage.

Reactions: Member496333

Patrick66

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Patrick, could you post a list of stuff you really like? Lots of low carb foods are made from almond flour or coconut flour, would you be ok with these?
Sure.

Yes I can cope with those lol.

Well I love meat, Pork, Lamb, Chicken and Beef. I like Cod, Haddock, Coley, Whiting etc. I love bacon, steak, sausages. Eat eggs. Eat some veg but mainly cauliflower, broccoli and sprouts. I only eat Cheddar. Will eat tomatoes and watercress/lettuce.
Enjoy Pork scratchings but find the quality varies.

Thankfully I don’t like potatoes except new ones, dislike pasta and rice! Did have @ sweet tooth (my downfall) but have consigned my favourite fruit, grapes, to history but love raspberries and strawberries.

Have just ordered myself some cacao nibs and unsweetened cocoa powder to try with full fat Greek yogurt..as an experiment.

How’s that ?

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Has anyone tried these Grenade "Low carb-high protein" bars ?
I keep one of the Grenade Carb Killa bars in my bag for ‘emergencies’. They taste lovely (especially the Jaffa or mint ones :hungry:), they are sweetened with Polyols (alcohol sugars) which are a type of carbohydrate that isn’t usually absorbed. I don’t absorb them so they don’t affect my blood sugars but some people find they do. You’d need to test before and two hours after to check. Also they can have a laxative effect if you eat too many :nailbiting:

Reactions: Patrick66

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Sure.

Well I love meat, Pork, Lamb, Chicken and Beef. I like Cod, Haddock, Coley, Whiting etc. I love bacon, steak, sausages. Eat eggs. Eat some veg but mainly cauliflower, broccoli and sprouts. I only eat Cheddar. Will eat tomatoes and watercress/lettuce.

Thankfully I don’t like potatoes except new ones, dislike pasta and rice! Did have @ sweet tooth (my downfall) but have consigned my favourite fruit, grapes, to history but love raspberries and strawberries.

Have just ordered myself some cacao nibs and unsweetened cocoa powder to try with full fat Greek yogurt..as an experiment.

How’s that ?
Excellent! Google keto chocolate mug cake. The recipe is enough for 2 ramekins. One for the fridge or if you're feeling generous, your other half. Serve with lashings of double cream.

Google keto mug cakes for other ideas.

If you like to spice things up a little, lookup headbangerskitchen nearly every day someone posts a link to a site I have never heard of, so keep your eyes open.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Sure.

How’s that ?
Sounds like a perfect ketogenic diet..

Patrick66

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Excellent! Google keto chocolate mug cake. The recipe is enough for 2 ramekins. One for the fridge or if you're feeling generous, your other half. Serve with lashings of double cream.

Google keto mug cakes for other ideas.

If you like to spice things up a little, lookup headbangerskitchen nearly every day someone posts a link to a site I have never heard of, so keep your eyes open.
Thank you. Yes I’m checking recipes for new ideas.

Reactions: jjraak