Status
Not open for further replies.

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Impossible Burger ingredients list: Water, Textured Wheat Protein, Coconut Oil, Potato Protein, Natural Flavors, 2% or less of: Leghemoglobin (soy), Yeast Extract, Salt, Soy Protein Isolate, Konjac Gum, Xanthan Gum, Thiamin (Vitamin B1), Zinc, Niacin, Vitamin B6, Riboflavin (Vitamin B2), Vitamin B12.

Tophat1900

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Uncooked bacon
Impossible Burger ingredients list: Water, Textured Wheat Protein, Coconut Oil, Potato Protein, Natural Flavors, 2% or less of: Leghemoglobin (soy), Yeast Extract, Salt, Soy Protein Isolate, Konjac Gum, Xanthan Gum, Thiamin (Vitamin B1), Zinc, Niacin, Vitamin B6, Riboflavin (Vitamin B2), Vitamin B12.

Doesn't that just sound so yummy? :woot::eek::hungover::wacky:

Reactions: Ponchu

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
That page won't load properly for me unless I disable my ad blocker (Kaspersky)by a rather laborious process.
And since I won't be doing that, I won't be reading the page.
Not that it sounds like I need to.
(My experiences of any form of veggie burger have not encouraged me to eat more of them.)

And websites wonder why people leave them without bothering to read anything.

D

Deleted Account

There are a number of reasons for not eating meat (allergies and intolerance, concern for animal welfare, concern for planetary resources, personal preference, ...) which I respect as I respect the choice some people with diabetes have made to eat low carb/keto diets.

I see it just like there are many reasons for choosing either an Apple or an Android phone - I make my choices and respect others for making their's.

As January has become Veganuary for some, vegan diets have a higher profile this month. This has lead a lot of vegan knocking in the press, etc. I say let them be. No one is forcing them (or us).

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I say let them be. No one is forcing them

I thoroughly agree if it were reciprocated.

Unfortunately when you have things like the "EAT Lancet"collaboration and active vegan activists pushing for meat taxes and meat bans then the" live and let live" message becomes a bit less even. When there are memorandums of understanding between the Vegan Society and the British Dieticians Association then I start to get a bit concerned. The BBC and the Guardian seem to have completely adopted a Vegan agenda with little to no counterbalance in their reporting.

Reactions: Ponchu and Roulis

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
But sinking to their level has never won an argument, has it?
Although (to be fair) such behaviour may have won political campaigns (especially in America), it doesn't mean that 'bashing' is welcome here, on the forum, whether that bashing is of vegans, or any group, minority or majority.

Edited to remove unnecesary quote of another poster.

Last edited:

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
I sometimes wonder who these things are aimed at. Is it vegans who miss the succulent, tasty nutritious flesh of animals or are these foodstuffs aimed at carnivores in an affort to persuade them to switch?

Either way, I know what I'm having for my tea.

Reactions: Roulis

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@bulkbiker it is a shame when politics and diet become intertwined.
Agree 100% but unfortunately that is what seems to be happening.
Personal choice is slowly but surely being removed and we are being “told” what we should eat by those with an agenda.

Reactions: Roulis
M

Member496333

My goodness. I respect ethical choices, but personally I find it the ultimate human hubris to deny evolution and place yourself outside the food chain in which you evolved in favour of ingesting a potion boiled-up in a factory cauldron.

Sue192

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Agree 100% but unfortunately that is what seems to be happening.
Personal choice is slowly but surely being removed and we are being “told” what we should eat by those with an agenda.
But you could argue that everyone has an agenda? Whether it is wholly admirable, as is shown by members wishing to help those starting out to see how beneficial LC is, or the complete opposite, as is shown by the many links to distinctly dodgy reports/surveys/ads etc. I have detected on here recently an undertone of 'eat as I do, not as you feel you can or what benefits you'. Of course show how LC has benefitted the fight against diabetes - that is how wonderful and, in some cases, life-saving this website is - but as @helensaramay so well puts it in her post, I make my choices and respect others for making theirs, and that should be a two-way street.

Edited to take out the bleedin' burger bit after @Mel dCP says it doesn't (it was the bleeding that got me, not the fact that it's veggie) . Thanks for the clarification! :)

Last edited:

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
I had one the other day, as it was burger night in our house. My son made beef ones for himself and the husbeast with regular rolls, and I had one of the “Beyond Meat” burgers (there was a load of guff in the press about them “bleeding”. They don’t. There’s just very succulent and juicy) in a toasted roll made from the two minute bread recipe (2tbsp almond flour, 1tbsp psyllium husk powder, 1tsp baking powder, 2 beaten eggs - mixed together in a tub of the appropriate shape and microwaved for two minutes). 11g carbs for the whole thing.

It was amazing. Same flavour and texture as the real thing. The menfolk tried a little and agreed with me.

842C3F41-7A4E-4EAC-AE5B-81CB5F93511E.jpeg

Yes it’s a processed product, yes it’s fake. I loved every mouthful and eating the same (sort of) thing as the rest of my family really helps with bonding and social cohesion. We always eat together, but I often end up eating something different. It’s surprising how much difference it makes when we can all join in with burger night, curry night, fajita night, pizza night etc. They have the regular versions, and I have the low carb, no meat, no dairy alternative.

It’s quite simple, if you don’t like or want a product, don’t buy it. But please don’t ridicule and criticise those of us who do.

Last edited:
Reactions: Daphne917

derry60

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Rudeness,people being unkind
There are a number of reasons for not eating meat (allergies and intolerance, concern for animal welfare, concern for planetary resources, personal preference, ...) which I respect as I respect the choice some people with diabetes have made to eat low carb/keto diets.

I see it just like there are many reasons for choosing either an Apple or an Android phone - I make my choices and respect others for making their's.

As January has become Veganuary for some, vegan diets have a higher profile this month. This has lead a lot of vegan knocking in the press, etc. I say let them be. No one is forcing them (or us).
Apart from the Vegan's who boycotted the supermarket (Cannot remember which supermarket) because people were buying Turkeys, calling butchers murderer's etc lol. It was on the news

derry60

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Rudeness,people being unkind
I thoroughly agree if it were reciprocated.

Unfortunately when you have things like the "EAT Lancet"collaboration and active vegan activists pushing for meat taxes and meat bans then the" live and let live" message becomes a bit less even. When there are memorandums of understanding between the Vegan Society and the British Dieticians Association then I start to get a bit concerned. The BBC and the Guardian seem to have completely adopted a Vegan agenda with little to no counterbalance in their reporting.
When I was looking at the Morrisons and Tesco's website for groceries, Vegan food was everywhere. What made me smile was that what used to be called vegetarian they are now calling some of their products Vegan, and guess what? They have upped their prices on Vegan foods because of a simple name change. I thought "What a con"

Status
Not open for further replies.