A question not just for the ladies!

Sue192

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
This is pretty far off-topic but this is the only Forum I inhabit and the members here are a fount of wisdom and advice on many many things. :)

The scenario: I've been given a ticket to a corporate hospitality box at Twickenham for a Six Nations match (no, I'm not giving it away!). The last time I was there was watching Glaws get thrashed by our nemesis Bath in the John Player Cup Final (i.e. centuries ago) and our seats were as far from the pitch as is possible. I know I am extremely lucky to be given this chance and I'm not going to miss it. However, I am freaked out by the dress code! Here in the sticks my dress code is jeans, tops (smartish versions for work), waterproofs and sensible shoes/boots and that's about it (there is an ancient dress lurking somewhere), and Ingrid Bergman I am not.

I won't know anyone else and the person I'm going with I don't know well. My friends aren't 'corporate' or rugby types either - one famously said "why do they pick up the ball and run towards the goal posts?" - so HELP!! :eek: What on earth do I wear? The phrase 'smart casual' causes terror.....:nailbiting: Nice coat, wellies, smart black jeans, comfy shoes, high heels, ballgown, waterproof, the contents of a jewellery shop?? I presume there are seats outside the box so something warm? (I look daft in a hat though).

Reactions: pjayem1964

Arab Horse

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
No idea really but I would think "smart casual". Smart jeans/trousers/leggings and a smart top such as a shirt, tunic, jumper etc. depending on the weather. Rather than having to splash out on something you might not wear again the charity shops are great and you can even get some lovely "junk jewellery" to set it all off.

Whwn I was diagnosed and started low carbing I lost one and three quarter stones very quickly; I wasn't overweight and am now thin but my clothes were falling off me and I replaced my wardrobe in charity shops with the odd thing from the sales. I already had lots of junk jewellery from the sales and charity shops!

Have a great day and don't worry too much about you outfit. I am sure you will be fine.

Sue192

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
No idea really but I would think "smart casual". Smart jeans/trousers/leggings and a smart top such as a shirt, tunic, jumper etc. depending on the weather. Rather than having to splash out on something you might not wear again the charity shops are great and you can even get some lovely "junk jewellery" to set it all off.

Whwn I was diagnosed and started low carbing I lost one and three quarter stones very quickly; I wasn't overweight and am now thin but my clothes were falling off me and I replaced my wardrobe in charity shops with the odd thing from the sales. I already had lots of junk jewellery from the sales and charity shops!

Have a great day and don't worry too much about you outfit. I am sure you will be fine.
Thank you for your reply @Arab Horse. I tend to panic with these sorts of events as I am not and never have been glamorous, and the ladies I see on the tv at rugby matches always seem so well-groomed and attractive! (Mind you, I also realise that the camera operator is in charge....!) I should realise that a 'what the heck' attitude is the right one and as you say, enjoy the day, especially as this is the first time I have ever been 'hospitalityised'. We have rather a lot of charity shops in my nearest town so a good excuse for a mooch :)

Circuspony

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
My male partner says he would wear smart trousers, shirt and a jumper. Possibly England rugby shirt if England are playing and he knows whoever is paying for the box would be ok with that.

If that's the male outfit then I would go with smart jeans (black or navy) & a nice top. No trainers or wellies!!

Reactions: Sue192

SlimLizzy

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
football, both the game and the culture.
Thank you for your reply @Arab Horse. I tend to panic with these sorts of events as I am not and never have been glamorous, and the ladies I see on the tv at rugby matches always seem so well-groomed and attractive! (Mind you, I also realise that the camera operator is in charge....!) I should realise that a 'what the heck' attitude is the right one and as you say, enjoy the day, especially as this is the first time I have ever been 'hospitalityised'. We have rather a lot of charity shops in my nearest town so a good excuse for a mooch :)
Practicality should rule here. Smart yes, thermals underneath? Wear warm coat and good warm shoes/boots. Take gloves, hat, hood or scarf. Otherwise if its cold you wont enjoy the experience at all. Hope its lot of fun for you.

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
This is pretty far off-topic but this is the only Forum I inhabit and the members here are a fount of wisdom and advice on many many things. :)

The scenario: I've been given a ticket to a corporate hospitality box at Twickenham for a Six Nations match (no, I'm not giving it away!). The last time I was there was watching Glaws get thrashed by our nemesis Bath in the John Player Cup Final (i.e. centuries ago) and our seats were as far from the pitch as is possible. I know I am extremely lucky to be given this chance and I'm not going to miss it. However, I am freaked out by the dress code! Here in the sticks my dress code is jeans, tops (smartish versions for work), waterproofs and sensible shoes/boots and that's about it (there is an ancient dress lurking somewhere), and Ingrid Bergman I am not.

I won't know anyone else and the person I'm going with I don't know well. My friends aren't 'corporate' or rugby types either - one famously said "why do they pick up the ball and run towards the goal posts?" - so HELP!! :eek: What on earth do I wear? The phrase 'smart casual' causes terror.....:nailbiting: Nice coat, wellies, smart black jeans, comfy shoes, high heels, ballgown, waterproof, the contents of a jewellery shop?? I presume there are seats outside the box so something warm? (I look daft in a hat though).
Never been to a rugby game, but I guess I'd dress the same as I would for the theatre if it's business; nice jeans or pants (black is a go-to, can't go wrong with that), nice top. Probably wear leather black ankle boots. (Heels might not be practical and maybe a bit cold). Understated but classy jewellery, usually a necklace and bracelet combo. Maybe do the top in the colour of your team?

SlimLizzy

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
football, both the game and the culture.
Thank you @ Circuspony (and your other half!), @SlimLizzy and @JoKalsbeek - smart black jeans, nice top, boots, warm coat and thermals it is! And classy jewellery :)
Sounds like you got it sorted, Have a great day, dont forget your gloves.

dancer

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I've never been to a rugby match but have been to a football match in a corporate hospitality box. We had the meal and drinks in the box and then watched the match from the window of the box. At half time more food was brought in and then we watched the rest of the game. We didn't have to go out into the cold. Maybe you'll be as lucky!

zauberflote

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
okra. Cigarette smoke, old, new, and permeating a room, wafting from a balcony, etc etc. That I have so many chronic diseases. That I take so very many meds. Being cold. Anything too loud, but specifically non-classical music and the television.
Haha this shows what I know. Americans leap in where even fools fear to tread! I thought you meant cricket... and found this photo....
IMG_7375.jpg

Long johns, those “Hot Hands” hand warmers, your best down coat...

Sue192

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I've never been to a rugby match but have been to a football match in a corporate hospitality box. We had the meal and drinks in the box and then watched the match from the window of the box. At half time more food was brought in and then we watched the rest of the game. We didn't have to go out into the cold. Maybe you'll be as lucky!
Thanks @dancer - nice to hear first-hand experience of a box. There are seats outside the box and they are under-cover - better atmosphere outside - so it might not be too cold, unless we are struck by this mythical Beast from the East! Having stood out on wind-and-rain-blasted rugby pitches watching 2nd XVs being shoved around in mud, the prospect of being warm and pampered will be quite something!

Last edited:

Sue192

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Haha this shows what I know. Americans leap in where even fools fear to tread! I thought you meant cricket... and found this photo....View attachment 30693
Long johns, those “Hot Hands” hand warmers, your best down coat...
Thanks for the MCC dress code, @zauberflote - useful to know, especially if the outfits don't clash with the 'bacon and eggs'.... ;) , not that I'm ever going to get to Lords, sadly! Good tip about hand warmers though. Don't worry, we get confused on this side of the pond too :D

Sue192

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I vote for the same outfits as for polo matches, yer basic jeans, some kind of sweater, maybe a turtleneck, a jacket long enough to cover your ass and nicely polished kickass boots.
Hi @Contralto - that is just about what I wore! Luckily the wind died down during the match (what a cracker) and I was sheltered by large gentlemen either side. As usual, I was worried about nothing, sartorially-wise!