How much Insulin you are taking? Just curious

david1968

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
At the moment 3 units of Novorapid after my evening meal and 5 units of Levemir at bedtime. When I was diagnosed five years ago I was put on 10 units of Novorapid at breakfast, 12 units at lunchtime, 12 with my evening meal, and 34 units of Levemir at bedtime. With diet changes I'm now finding that I don't need to take Novorapid at breakfast or at lunchtime, though I'm going to see my GP to see about this.

SandraRich

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi, I’m on Toujeo300 - 124 a day
Dapaglifiozin - 10ml a day
Humbling S 3 times a day. Morning 44, Lunch 48, and Tea 50
Sitagliptin 100mg a day.
Because I have neuropathy issues with no feeling in my feet I’m also on other tablets and a 75micrograms morphine patch. This is to help with Fibromyalgia too.

Roseanne01

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
'isms'. Not being able to eat potatoes.
I’m on 18 units Lantus before bed and 8 units before meals. They took me off gliclazide as I was having too many hypos which isn’t good for my heart failure (dilated cardiomyopathy). And off Metformin for my kidney disease. Instant insulin resistance. I've just put myself back on Metformin because it’s hard enough to exercise when your max heart rate (pacemaker) is set at 80. I found enough plausible reports that say they aren’t even sure Metformin is an issue in lactic acidosis (an issue with kidney disease.). It’s correlation, not causation. Yet they prescribe me lasix which is known to damage kidneys. I'm surprised by how easy insulin is. My blood sugar is more stable with fewer wild swings. I’ve been Type 2 for 30 years. And the heart issue isn’t from diabetes. Most likely viral.

Roseanne01

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
I am officially overweight now after 2 years in insulin....but I was not before. I gained 10 kilos because of the side effect of insulin and even with a diet doing low carbs, I am struggling to loose weight. So hopefully seeing my GP this next two weeks, we might try some different medication.
Gosh that’s depressing. The just started and I’ve already put on weight.

Mep

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Gosh that’s depressing. The just started and I’ve already put on weight.

Yeh insulin is a fat storing hormone as my endo reminded me. It's known for causing weight gain. I have a quite a few things contributing to my weight gain. I have the added problem of bloating. It makes wearing clothes that fit and are comfort hard to find.

Roseanne01

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Yeh insulin is a fat storing hormone as my endo reminded me. It's known for causing weight gain. I have a quite a few things contributing to my weight gain. I have the added problem of bloating. It makes wearing clothes that fit and are comfort hard to find.
Crikey. And I find it hard to exercise. I’m thinner in this photo. I’ll give up if I can’t control my weight. I can’t imagine going back to where I was. Twenty years ago.

Reactions: Mep

Mep

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Crikey. And I find it hard to exercise. I’m thinner in this photo. I’ll give up if I can’t control my weight. I can’t imagine going back to where I was. Twenty years ago.

Yes, well I need to try and get this weight gain off too. I'm trying out intermittent fasting although I can't completely fast because I'm on meds I have to take with milk or food. So I just have milk for a meal. I've lost 2 kgs since starting that and think I'll continue with it. I notice my pain level is slightly better if I just have the milk. Also I've discovered that if I start out with just milk in the morning my appetite doesn't fire up so I can get away with 2 meals replaced with milk before I feel hungry. This may not work for others, but seems to be helping me at the moment. I will probably continue on with it as my diet is limited anyhow due to other health conditions. I'm sure you'll be just fine because I'd say the more units of insulin you use you probably are at more risk of weight gain. If you are gaining, then I'm sure you'll find something works to help shift the weight. I know it's hard though... but doable.

TracieJ

Hi I'm new here but been diabetic for about 20 years. Am now on insulin have been for 10 I take
Toujeo - 80 in the morning and 84 at night
Nova rapid with food three times a day at 10 units
Victosa 1.2 ml once a day
Metformin 500mg SR twice a day

Have changed diet not carb free but dramatically cut down so fingers crossed weight will start to come off lol Sugars have dropped from 199 to 173 in 4 months YAY so i need to keep going xxx

Reactions: Mep

Fenn

Type of diabetes
Type 1.5
Treatment type
Insulin
18 units
Humalin I bedtime
This is my limit if I don't want hypos during non meal times

4 to 6 to 8 to 10 units
Novorapid Before meals depending on meal

I find I have to accept spikes of 13 after certain meals or I go hypo after a lower spike, so high spike no hypo, I think my hba1c will be better, 81 3 months ago and hoping for in the 40’s next time, not sure how much damage the spikes are doing but dont see a way around it if I dont want hypos

I eat reduced carb

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Mine currently is triple strength Toujeo300 is 77units on a morning and novarapid is 25units x2-3times depending on frequency of food eating.
Yesterday and today was only 25units only.

Back comes out the frozen veg tomorrow. Plus 3 milkshakes.

Roseanne01

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Grrrr. Insulin since April 2018. And I’ve put on 9 kilos. Trulicity has stopped the gain but I can’t get off insulin.

alphabeta

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
18 units
Humalin I bedtime

4 to 6 to 8 to 10 units

I find I have to accept spikes of 13 after certain meals or I go hypo after a lower spike, so high spike no hypo, I think my hba1c will be better, 81 3 months ago and hoping for in the 40’s next time, not sure how much damage the spikes are doing but dont see a way around it if I dont want hypos

I eat reduced carb
Do you prebolus?

Roseanne01

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Do you prebolus?
I think I’m going to leave this forum. The low carb zealots are starting to irritate me. My diabetes is at the stage where even the carbs in veggies (and I don't mean starchy ones, rather stuff like tomato and carrot) will cause a spike for me. My nephrologist has warned me away from reducing carbs any further and against increasing protein because of my kidney disease. After thirty years of this disease I think it's safe to say 'we ain't all the same'. A totally plant based diet worked for me for ten years, then it didn't.

Roseanne01

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
18 units
Humalin I bedtime

4 to 6 to 8 to 10 units

I eat reduced carb

Its always a battle. just keep tryng.

Reactions: Fenn
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
I've not heard of half unit pens and can't see the point with so little difference between a unit and half a unit.
I've never used an aftercare tel. number as the diabetic side of my meds are overseen by my diabetologist.

Hi, there is a big difference, I use the echo 1/2 unit pen and it is so beneficial for me, a godsend and it does work.