Water Fast and Christmas Past

BloodThirsty

No I haven't and at £100 a bottle I doubt I ever will.
And that's for only 50cl.
It's all about face and you demonstrate your affordability status (?) by bringing the most expensive bottle you can.
Then, unlike a fine wine that you might sniff, swirl and savour, you chuck it down your neck in double quick time to cries of "gambay".
My missus is from mainland China so I have drunk gallons of the stuff over the years ( thankfully not at my own expense).

Reactions: JohnEGreen

BloodThirsty

Day 8 and late on parade having idled away two hours of my day in my lad's jacuzzi.

Anyhow, weight is totally unchanged at 68.3 kgs, but I'm not complaining... just wondering.
FBG is 4.3 and was 4.4 at bedtime.
Ketones are 7.3.

Thinking now about refeeding this coming Friday.
My thoughts are that, as I am fully fat adapted, I should commence with mostly fatty foods such as mashed avacado, Brie cheese, and maybe a couple of fried eggs for a little protein as well.
Any further ideas gratefully received.
Day 9 and things have been so hectic that I haven't had time to report.

Weight is 67.8 which means that my weight loss has slowed down to 0.5 kgs over 2 days.
FBG was 4.6 and 4.9 at bedtime.
Ketones are 6.8.

As my ketone readings have settled around 7.0 ish I've taken an executive decision to cease measuring at this point and continue during refeeding. Frugal or what?

I continue to feel well and reasonably energetic and have definitely resolved the urge incontinence issue that has plaqued me for 6 years.
This in itself has made the exercise worthwhile.

Reactions: Ponchu

BloodThirsty

Day 9 and things have been so hectic that I haven't had time to report.

Weight is 67.8 which means that my weight loss has slowed down to 0.5 kgs over 2 days.
FBG was 4.6 and 4.9 at bedtime.
Ketones are 6.8.

As my ketone readings have settled around 7.0 ish I've taken an executive decision to cease measuring at this point and continue during refeeding. Frugal or what?

I continue to feel well and reasonably energetic and have definitely resolved the urge incontinence issue that has plaqued me for 6 years.
This in itself has made the exercise worthwhile.
Day 10 and one more to go.

Nothing much has changed:
Weight remains at 67.8 kgs. FBG was 4.4 this morning and last night's reading was also 4.4.

Still feeling reasonably energetic and looking forward to a brisk walk after the streets are well aired.

BloodThirsty

Are you near an ideal weight?

Congratulations on your progress!
Thank you @Ponchu.
With one more day to go (and two weigh-ins) my BMI is 20.9.
However, my purpose was not primarily to lose weight (although no complaints) but to see whether an extended fast would reduce my FBG and dawn phenomenon.

When I come out of this I will take the advice of @bulkbiker and watch my protein intake a little closer... hadn't thought of that. Although I consider myself a conscientious LCHFer (Christmas excepted) I might well have been overdoing the ribeye a tad.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
When I come out of this I will take the advice of @bulkbiker and watch my protein intake a little closer... hadn't thought of that. Although I consider myself a conscientious LCHFer (Christmas excepted) I might well have been overdoing the ribeye a tad.
Eh? not my advice surely? Just finished my rib eye week!

BloodThirsty

Day 10 and one more to go.

Nothing much has changed:
Weight remains at 67.8 kgs. FBG was 4.4 this morning and last night's reading was also 4.4.

Still feeling reasonably energetic and looking forward to a brisk walk after the streets are well aired.
Day 11... the final day as a masochist and thoughts start to wander around food, specifically what I might have for breakfast tomorrow.

Weight is 67.3 kgs and FBG is 4.3. It was also 4.3 at bedtime.
Aside from the levels I am very pleased with the consistency of the readings having not had a single rogue one. I have always had a lot of faith in the accuracy of my meter and this exercise has confirmed it.

As far as energy levels go it feels just like a normal day, so nothing untowards either mentally or physically.

Catching an early plane from Germany to Blighty in the morning so my final diatribe might be quite late.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Err no it wasn't, but as I'm very partial to a slab of steak if I've been overdoing the protein this is the culprit.
I don't think you can over do the protein but....just don't start off with a huge meal.. you're doing amazingly well..

BloodThirsty

Day 11... the final day as a masochist and thoughts start to wander around food, specifically what I might have for breakfast tomorrow.

Weight is 67.3 kgs and FBG is 4.3. It was also 4.3 at bedtime.
Aside from the levels I am very pleased with the consistency of the readings having not had a single rogue one. I have always had a lot of faith in the accuracy of my meter and this exercise has confirmed it.

As far as energy levels go it feels just like a normal day, so nothing untowards either mentally or physically.

Catching an early plane from Germany to Blighty in the morning so my final diatribe might be quite late.
The morning of Day 12 and my water only fast is over.
To summarize, I started this because my 28 day moving average FBG had crept up from 5.5 to 5.9 with the dawn phenomenon variance accounting, on average, for 0.5.
I am on no diabetes medication whatsoever and my HbA1c when measured in September 2018 was 38.

Final weigh-in was 67.0 kgs and FBG was inexplicably 5.2 and 5.2 at bedtime, so not a rogue reading.

So, from a starting weight of 73.1 kgs ( BMI 22.5) I lost 6.1 kgs or 13.5 lbs to arrive at 67.0 kgs (BMI 20.6 - the sunny side of the healthy weight range).

FBG and evening reading hovered around 4.4 which was the lowest I had ever measured and no sign of the dawn phenomenon.
Ketones reached and stayed around 7.0 after 4 days of fasting.

I have now had a thoroughly enjoyable breakfast, during which I reflected on the benefits that the fast has bought me.

Primarily, my body appears to have cured itself of the dreaded urge incontinence which I have suffered for 6 years... an unfortunate side effect of BPH which most old farts get eventually.

My distance eyesight appears sharper although I have no clue how this might logically fit in.

I have lost a shedload of weight in a very short space of time.

Tied for first place, I have undergone a thorough system washout in preparation for a concentrated keto / intermittent fasting regimen to optimise my metrics going forward.

That's all folks!

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The morning of Day 12 and my water only fast is over.
To summarize, I started this because my 28 day moving average FBG had crept up from 5.5 to 5.9 with the dawn phenomenon variance accounting, on average, for 0.5.
I am on no diabetes medication whatsoever and my HbA1c when measured in September 2018 was 38.

Final weigh-in was 67.0 kgs and FBG was inexplicably 5.2 and 5.2 at bedtime, so not a rogue reading.

So, from a starting weight of 73.1 kgs ( BMI 22.5) I lost 6.1 kgs or 13.5 lbs to arrive at 67.0 kgs (BMI 20.6 - the sunny side of the healthy weight range).

FBG and evening reading hovered around 4.4 which was the lowest I had ever measured and no sign of the dawn phenomenon.
Ketones reached and stayed around 7.0 after 4 days of fasting.

I have now had a thoroughly enjoyable breakfast, during which I reflected on the benefits that the fast has bought me.

Primarily, my body appears to have cured itself of the dreaded urge incontinence which I have suffered for 6 years... an unfortunate side effect of BPH which most old farts get eventually.

My distance eyesight appears sharper although I have no clue how this might logically fit in.

I have lost a shedload of weight in a very short space of time.

Tied for first place, I have undergone a thorough system washout in preparation for a concentrated keto / intermittent fasting regimen to optimise my metrics going forward.

That's all folks!
Brilliant results and well done on sticking to it.. you said you would and you did. I'm full of admiration cos I know there's no way I could do it!

Reactions: BloodThirsty
M

Member496333

Excellent! Very informative thread. Thanks for sharing your experience. Keep us posted on how things go in the following days.

I wonder if the slightly elevated final FBG could be a signal that your body is running low on fat to oxidise and has partially turned to deconstructing some protein to be used as fuel. Certainly seems plausible at 12 days and being only 67kg.

Reactions: BloodThirsty