Consultant: ''Go home and have some carbs''

smag3

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Doctors telling me that I probably know more than them
Having just told me how amazing my results were and what a good girl I was he said There is no benefit to you on low carbing. Go home and eat some carbs.
I was sad, angry, upset. I thought we were on the right path with consultants, obviously not.
By the way, I did go home. And I had 2 boiled eggs.......

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi there @smag3, did he say why or what his concerns were? What were your results if you don't mind telling us and what have your readings been like?

Reactions: zauberflote

smag3

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Hi there @smag3, did he say why or what his concerns were? What were your results if you don't mind telling us and what have your readings been like?
My hba1c was 44, which I think is brilliant. My levels are good, the odd spike but hey. He said as a type one I would get no benefit from low carbing and could be depriving my body of nutrients. I told him that I had been type 1 for 54 years and this felt totally right. I have never felt better and I have a good understanding of nutrition and felt I was not missing anything in my diet. He said he disagreed and I should go home and eat some carbs....

M

Member496333

Cracks me up when healthcare people treat diabetic patients like idiots. Unless he can show you bad blood work or evidence of malnutrition you should have told him to go home and eat his hat.

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
My hba1c was 44, which I think is brilliant. My levels are good, the odd spike but hey. He said as a type one I would get no benefit from low carbing and could be depriving my body of nutrients. I told him that I had been type 1 for 54 years and this felt totally right. I have never felt better and I have a good understanding of nutrition and felt I was not missing anything in my diet. He said he disagreed and I should go home and eat some carbs....
A HbA1c of 44 is absolutely great, well done You!

zauberflote

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
okra. Cigarette smoke, old, new, and permeating a room, wafting from a balcony, etc etc. That I have so many chronic diseases. That I take so very many meds. Being cold. Anything too loud, but specifically non-classical music and the television.
How does he think you got those results he praised you for!?!? Is he the “bow down to my learnèd expertise” kind? Ugh. I agree, brilliant HbA1c!

Reactions: Rosie B and Prem51

zauberflote

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
okra. Cigarette smoke, old, new, and permeating a room, wafting from a balcony, etc etc. That I have so many chronic diseases. That I take so very many meds. Being cold. Anything too loud, but specifically non-classical music and the television.
Naahhh let it be a huge wet flour lasagna noodle....Ann Landers would approve!

Bananas 2

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Insulin
hbA1c doing good. Keep doing what you are doing and see if you can improve even more.
The consultant isn't up with the times.

Reactions: keefidee

kokhongw

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
He said as a type one I would get no benefit from low carbing and could be depriving my body of nutrients.

The case of the mysterious missing nutrients...we hear it all the time...but no one really knows what's missing...

But I will certainly be missing a lot more than nutrients with chronically elevated glucose...

smag3

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Thanks for all your positive comments. Have found my positivity again. Not eating carbs. Carrying on doing what feels right for my body.

Reactions: Rosie B
K

Knikki

Don't forget just because some of us stuff our faces with carbs don't mean everyone has to. What ever your doing, and you feel it is working for you then go for it.

I had similar conversation when my Hb1ac was 39 and they were surprised when I said I was off to eat cake and yes I do have a weakness for chocolate :):hilarious::joyful:

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I hope your consultant wasn't too disappointed when Father Christmas didn't visit last year - though being so naughty as to suggest eating more carbs just shows that you need to be careful what you believe.

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Don't forget just because some of us stuff our faces with carbs don't mean everyone has to. What ever your doing, and you feel it is working for you then go for it.

I had similar conversation when my Hb1ac was 39 and they were surprised when I said I was off to eat cake and yes I do have a weakness for chocolate :):hilarious::joyful:
And cheesecake.

Is that a slab of slate it has been served on?

Reactions: Knikki

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Thanks for all your positive comments. Have found my positivity again. Not eating carbs. Carrying on doing what feels right for my body.
So jealous of your result. Well done! I am also a low carber but don't get such consistently good results. I never take advice unless someone can clearly explain to me why I should be doing so.
I cannot imagine what nutrients you could be missing out by not eating starch. I assume you may still be eating greeen carbs?